E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 10:19 PM   #21
PYRITE

My Ride: 1965 Ford Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherside
ok I have these as well...let me explain...if you have an HID kit for your 9006 housings all you need to do is change the bulbs to H3...and foget about putting the backing on the projector housing, it is unorthodox and you have to rig it, but who cares, I love them so much more than stock I'll never go back...

I basically have glued the bulbs in by krazygluing the plastic to the metal...then using a rubber piece usually supplied with bulbs to keep the water out....zip tie that part and im done....

its reversible as Ive changed the bulbs after the fact.... the housing IS a direct replacement to your full oem housing...fits perfectly fine

Good luck

PUTA! I did the exact same thing dude, and we didn't even exchange notes on the install ! HAHAHAHAA The lil rubber ring that came with the HID bulb is the perfect way to keep water out omfg lol

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
PYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:36 PM   #22
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
any pics of it installed with the foglights off? i want to get these but i alredy have 9006 hids..
Old 05-31-2006, 07:33 AM   #23
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherside
ok I have these as well...let me explain...if you have an HID kit for your 9006 housings all you need to do is change the bulbs to H3...and foget about putting the backing on the projector housing, it is unorthodox and you have to rig it, but who cares, I love them so much more than stock I'll never go back...

I basically have glued the bulbs in by krazygluing the plastic to the metal...then using a rubber piece usually supplied with bulbs to keep the water out....zip tie that part and im done....

its reversible as Ive changed the bulbs after the fact.... the housing IS a direct replacement to your full oem housing...fits perfectly fine

Good luck

Do you have a pic of your work here (back of the bulb?)

I have rebased 9006 Philips bulbs... I don't want to lose them... =( So, Umnitza has H3 HID bulbs then?
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:19 AM   #24
PYRITE

Give up on the 9006 if you get these housings, these are made of metal, modifying them is a pain. Bulb type is more than just a number, its about optics and a 9006 bulb not only will not fit without massive modification, but is incorrect to get the proper beam pattern from this projector. Thus making it useless to have a projector to begin with. Otherside did it this way I believe until the correct bulbs arrived. If you have HID's its easy also because you just buy a new bulb and voila, no need for new ballasts or anything.

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
Old 05-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #25
topazblu323

My Ride: 323ci
Send a message via AIM to topazblu323
So how are these plug and play with the stock harness. ( If you keep the bulb that it comes with . Also what color is the bulb that comes with it?)
Thanks
topazblu323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:28 PM   #26
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRITE
Give up on the 9006 if you get these housings, these are made of metal, modifying them is a pain. Bulb type is more than just a number, its about optics and a 9006 bulb not only will not fit without massive modification, but is incorrect to get the proper beam pattern from this projector. Thus making it useless to have a projector to begin with. Otherside did it this way I believe until the correct bulbs arrived. If you have HID's its easy also because you just buy a new bulb and voila, no need for new ballasts or anything.

Gotcha... So I'll need H3 HID bulbs... With the H3's--will I still have to cut the back, or H3 HID bulbs should just snap right in?

Also, to connect the H3 bulbs to my existing ballasts, will I need new connector cables, or do they use the same ones?

Umnitza carries H3 HID bulbs? I didn't see them...
Old 06-01-2006, 04:28 AM   #27
ninethree

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to ninethree
this thread is hella confusing with a lot of confused people. my foglight cracked also and need a replacement. i think what everyone wants to know is if the (new) H3 bulb fits with (old mtech foglight harness).

hopefully we don't have to redo the wires to fit with these new fogs.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #28
GNX6

My Ride: E36 M3
Just go to Matt at Umnitza.com He will take good care of you and get you a product that will fit your car properly. I have dealt with him on several occasions and been very pleased.
87 Buick Grand National
02 Monte Carlo SS
www.turboz24.com
GNX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #29
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
I really dig those lights, who here has them with halogen bulbs, are they better light than stock or just better looking?
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #30
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
I do not have these but have done several HID retrofits to lamps and use to sell Hella and Cibie lamps. With these e-bay ellipsoid style foglamps, they should have a much more precise and magnified beam. A regular parabolic or reflector style foglamp (like the OEM M3/M-tech foglamp) mostly just reflect light forward. With ellipsoidals, basically the "eye" is a magnifying glass that has the bulb behind it as well as the reflector/collector. Hence the term "projectors".
Ofcourse lens quality and precision optical design of the reflectors play a big part. But these e-bay ellipsoids should be a better light output. The thing that comes into question is the integrity of the glass lens and internal optics. Can these take the road debris that a tempered glass lens like the OEM take? Does the internal reflector hazed up and or rust? I don't know. It would be great to get some feedback from PYRITE and OTHERSIDE and anyone running them as to how they are holding up.
I would also like to ask again since this topic is new again if you would still consider this a "fog" beam spread or a "driving" light pattern. I would be very excited to hear it's more a "driving". Lastly as we know the spectrum of a bulb may change behind an ellipsoid, did anyone notice the color spectrum change or is it the same as when you had the OEM reflectors before?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #31
sna77
OEM ///Member

BTW,
JL now has these in stock:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=395840

Also, I did the HID retrofit of these yesterday and made a DIY:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=400630
Old 09-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #32
PYRITE

I don't have a single nick on the glass, multiple road trips, lots of ****ing around on the road =) Both lenses are perfect still.

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
Old 09-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #33
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRITE View Post
I don't have a single nick on the glass, multiple road trips, lots of ****ing around on the road =) Both lenses are perfect still.

PYRITE,
Yous do not have a glass lens in front of the projector, right? It looks like they do in your picture?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #34
PYRITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
PYRITE,
Yous do not have a glass lens in front of the projector, right? It looks like they do in your picture?

No sir they do not, just a very clean car

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...