E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #41
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
some HID kits don't have a 9006 adapter required for your car to plug up to your hid kit.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #42
islanq

My Ride: An E46 like you...
Send a message via AIM to islanq
Seems this thread has got a 2nd wind. Anyway just to update u people. I did install the HIDs in halogen housing and to my suprise they are not TOO blinding (As I have driven infront of my car in another E46 and it wasn't too bad).

2ndly I am ordering some P46's from Umnitza this friday, so hopefully one of the guys over there will return my message I left over the long holiday weekend
islanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #43
islanq

No cutoff line w/ halogen

Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #44
BMW Loe

My Ride: is dirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanq View Post

If you optimize the focal point by using washers around the bulb base, you might be able to retain alot of the OEM beam pattern (I experiemented with this to a certain extent) but I ran out of washers (I only used two washers on the bulb). Glarewise, I couldn't tell you because I never mounted it on the car. I can show you what I mean, I'll take pictures tomorrow with my HID kit in OEM halogen housings.
03 330Ci sold
BMW Loe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #45
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Seems this thread has got a 2nd wind. Anyway just to update u people. I did install the HIDs in halogen housing and to my suprise they are not TOO blinding (As I have driven infront of my car in another E46 and it wasn't too bad).

2ndly I am ordering some P46's from Umnitza this friday, so hopefully one of the guys over there will return my message I left over the long holiday weekend
Hey man, please call us tomorrow or we'll call you back, didn't even have a chance to get to the messages today it was so busy
Old 09-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #46
rg1bmw

My Ride: 2002 Infiniti Q45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Loe View Post
This wouldn't be an issue with us if there are H7 HID bulbs available that have the exact same connectors as a regular halogen H7 bulb

They do i just installed last week a HELIX E-CODE projector headlight system with a 6000K HID H7 conversion kit. You can see the final install look in my sig picture headlights. The H7 HID kit has the same notch as the H7 regular halogen bulb. If there is a plastic piece (used to push the bulb against the light) on the wires behind the bulb just break it off as it is useless for the install and serves no purpose IMO. Uses the same connector wire to attach the H7 Xenon bulb as you would your normal H7 halogen bulb. Word of warning you must have a projector headlight system to install HID. If you do not the light will go everywhere and blind everyone coming at you. You stand a good chance of geting pulled over and given a ticket or even cause an accident. This is why BMW oem HID is with a projector light system. it is the only way to control the HID light IMO. Your power wire is run inside the rubber boot that protects the back of the headlight. So you will have 4 wires running inside the boot instead of only 2 for this type of set up(2 from bulb to balast and 2 power wires positive and negative to your power supply for the halogen bulb back to the ballast). at least this was my install for my conversion. if you get the right HID kit it is 100% plug and play. Mount your ballast under the headlight on the inner side of your front bumper (back of ballast facing engine and headlights above). I prefer 6000K on my install. good luck.

2002 BMW 530i

Black Leather/5 Speed/Sport Package
rg1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:56 PM   #47
nan_ou

My Ride: BMW 330I
Quote:
Umnitza is good at shipping out products quickly, A+ for on the phone courtesy.

Make sure you specify to Umnitza that you already have an H7 HID kit that you'd like to install in the P46, so that they send you a modified version with a metal clip-in bulb holder so you don't end up with the same problem you currently have if you receive a halogen version of the P46.

This is also an advantage to purchasing with a vendor. The P46's on EBAY will require you to modify that bulb holder since they are designed to hold a halogen bulb.
My question is : Like you said, I will end up with the same halogen housing problem, (the DEPO headlight offered in EBAY) , will I have to buy the special adaptor sell on ebay? or the metal CLIP shown in one of your picture will come with the halogen housing?

thanks
nan_ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #48
rg1bmw

My Ride: 2002 Infiniti Q45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler@UniqueDesign View Post
We strongly recommend that you don't add an aftermarket HID kit to your car without projectors as you will have glare EVERYWHERE. You can get the H7 to fit, just takes some cutting.
+1
the word here is it is a custom install when ever you do this. You must have projectors as mentioned by Tyler and remember that HID kits put out over 20,000 volts to ignite the Xenon gas in the bulb. This 20,000 volts can kill you. Be carefull. Good news is it only requires a drain on your system of 35w.

2002 BMW 530i

Black Leather/5 Speed/Sport Package
rg1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:05 PM   #49
BMW Loe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg1bmw View Post
They do i just installed last week a HELIX E-CODE projector headlight system with a 6000K HID H7 conversion kit. You can see the final install look in my sig picture headlights. The H7 HID kit has the same notch as the H7 regular halogen bulb. If there is a plastic piece (used to push the bulb against the light) on the wires behind the bulb just break it off as it is useless for the install and serves no purpose IMO. Uses the same connector wire to attach the H7 Xenon bulb as you would your normal H7 halogen bulb. Word of warning you must have a projector headlight system to install HID. If you do not the light will go everywhere and blind everyone coming at you. You stand a good chance of geting pulled over and given a ticket or even cause an accident. This is why BMW oem HID is with a projector light system. it is the only way to control the HID light IMO. Your power wire is run inside the rubber boot that protects the back of the headlight. So you will have 4 wires running inside the boot instead of only 2 for this type of set up(2 from bulb to balast and 2 power wires positive and negative to your power supply for the halogen bulb back to the ballast). at least this was my install for my conversion. if you get the right HID kit it is 100% plug and play. Mount your ballast under the headlight on the inner side of your front bumper (back of ballast facing engine and headlights above). I prefer 6000K on my install. good luck.

I'm not following, can you please take a picture of your H7 HID bulb base+how the bulb is mounting onto your Helix projector lights?
03 330Ci sold
Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 PM   #50
BMW Loe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan_ou View Post
My question is : Like you said, I will end up with the same halogen housing problem, (the DEPO headlight offered in EBAY) , will I have to buy the special adaptor sell on ebay? or the metal CLIP shown in one of your picture will come with the halogen housing?

thanks

The only way you'll find out is if you purchase those on ebay. Those Ebay DEPO lights advertise for use with a halogen H7 bulb, that would tell me that it doesn't come with the metal clip but rather the same OEM style holders (which I think are the similar in design as 9006/9005 holders) since they claim it is plug-n-play right into the factory harness.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #51
nan_ou

Quote:
The only way you'll find out is if you purchase those on ebay. Those Ebay DEPO lights advertise for use with a halogen H7 bulb, that would tell me that it doesn't come with the metal clip but rather the same OEM style holders (which I think are the similar in design as 9006/9005 holders) since they claim it is plug-n-play right into the factory harness.
Thanks

I will be receiving the lights on Friday, I will take picture and share it.
thanks again!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:19 AM   #52
islanq

There is no way I could adjust my headlights IMO. Unless I'm missing something or am horribly confused. I actually had to shove the rubber boot in to the bulb holder adapter to get it to stay in the housing. Basically It's an "O ring" with the rubber boot shoved into it. My dad told me it would never hold, suprisingly over speed bumps and 80+ MPH driving (no together of course) LOL they havn't even budged.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #53
nan_ou

Quote:
BMW LOE,

I finally installed the Projector headlight I bought from ebay, to my surprise, the back and the wiring was exactly the same as the one you shown on previous page. The H7 halogen housing came with that metal CLIP, so everything was perfect.

thanks again
Old 09-09-2006, 01:27 AM   #54
BMW Loe

Quote:

BMW LOE,

I finally installed the Projector headlight I bought from ebay, to my surprise, the back and the wiring was exactly the same as the one you shown on previous page. The H7 halogen housing came with that metal CLIP, so everything was perfect.

thanks again

Awesome, but I'd hate to imagine the horror those that purchase those "plug-n-play" DEPO lights and expect to run a standard H7 halogen bulb though.
03 330Ci sold
Old 09-09-2006, 08:41 AM   #55
nan_ou

Bmw Loe,

I do have a problem with the battery..no sure if I solved it yet or not...
I connected the LED type angel eyes..directly to the red with yellow dot wire in the electrnoic box, and grounded the other wire to the negative output of the battery in the engine compartment.
I was wondering if this causes any trouble?
By the way.. I did a direct connecion the yellow dot wire from my angel LED yellowish angel eyes, meaning no relay in the middle, or anything.

Dont know why, I took it to a auto store for battery checking..and they said the battery and alternator are working fine. But yesterday after installing( I disconnected the negative of the battery while working) , the car would not start and had to be jump started.

I m hoping nothing is wrong, please advice

thanks

Nan
Old 09-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #56
PhillyKatBMW

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
that's the reason I would never do a hid kit retrofit into halogen headlights... BMWLoe....can you show us the picture of the optimized (washered) hid kit in the halogen headlights? If only the cutoff line was preserved, would I use a hid kit.

Quote:

BMW LOE,

thanks again
Quote:
Bmw Loe,

I do have a problem with the battery..no sure if I solved it yet or not...
I connected the LED type angel eyes..directly to the red with yellow dot wire in the electrnoic box, and grounded the other wire to the negative output of the battery in the engine compartment.
I was wondering if this causes any trouble?
By the way.. I did a direct connecion the yellow dot wire from my angel LED yellowish angel eyes, meaning no relay in the middle, or anything.

Dont know why, I took it to a auto store for battery checking..and they said the battery and alternator are working fine. But yesterday after installing( I disconnected the negative of the battery while working) , the car would not start and had to be jump started.

I m hoping nothing is wrong, please advice

thanks

Nan
I've always wondered about those DEPO projector headlights on eBay...good to know they do work fine. How do the angel eyes look? Visible during the day/bright? I actually like the yellowish OEM lighting color for angel eyes...BTW...you'll prolly be better off wiring the red wire to the footwell lights or the flashlight in the glove compartment. Those only turn on or "hot" when the doors are unlocked. I think the ECU wire that you tapped (yellow dotted) might be one of those always hot wires thus keeping your angel eyes always on and draining the battery. You can easily find more info by searching with "footwell" "flashlight" "wiring" "angel eyes"...
Old 09-11-2006, 07:19 AM   #57
BMW Loe

I have no experience with LED lights to date. My suggestion would be to dig around the LED section on www.HIDplanet.com, there is a lot of information in that section and the HID university section. I would imagine the use of a relay would serve its purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyKatBMW
BMWLoe....can you show us the picture of the optimized (washered) hid kit in the halogen headlights? If only the cutoff line was preserved, would I use a hid kit.
I'll get pictures up after work tonight if possible.
03 330Ci sold

Last edited by BMW Loe; 09-11-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #58
Titansilber330D

My Ride: 330D Sport
Not sure if the original issue (how to fit H7 HID bulbs securely) was sorted out as things got a bit confusing halfway through the thread.

I modified my original bulb holder to allow the installation of H7 HID bulbs. It was really easy, only took about 20 mins.

Cut off the angled bit of the holder

Then use a hole saw to drill out the back of the holder

Feed the bulb wires through and secure with supplied rubber plug

Fit the bulbs back in the housing (mount the ballasts wherever suits you)

End result

If anyone thinks it looks like crap etc etc *yawn*, then don't look at the picture. Chances are you won't ever see my car on the road unless you happen to do lots of driving in Northwest England. If you still worry about the safety of other road users here, I am planning to upgrade to OEM bi-xenons as soon as I can find a set for a good price.
Titansilber330D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #59
FlyBMW

My Ride: BMW 330Xi E46
Folks, I have a question regarding the computer error I get after installing HID kit into a non-projector halogen headlights. When the headlight is off and I am driving, the computer tells me there is some error in the headlights. After I turn on the low beam lights, the error message dissapears.

How to get rid of this error message? Kinda annoying and weird...

Will appreciate your help.
FlyBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #60
BMW Loe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBMW View Post
Folks, I have a question regarding the computer error I get after installing HID kit into a non-projector halogen headlights. When the headlight is off and I am driving, the computer tells me there is some error in the headlights. After I turn on the low beam lights, the error message dissapears.

How to get rid of this error message? Kinda annoying and weird...

Will appreciate your help.
depending on year, you can pull Fuse #32 to disable the headlamp warning system.
03 330Ci sold