E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2002, 10:37 AM   #21
sgalaba

My Ride: M3 E46
Hey UMP your funny ...javascript***********:smilie('')

What you should do is explain to them why your BM E36 club race car passes mine that not even in your racing class!!??!!

Oh, And try to explain to the guy that thinks a part for an E36 will not work on a E46!

Oh and I will NOT go into all the other go fast parts that come from the E36 that work on the E46 ... I'll keep that to myself so I can lap their (@#$) on the track!!javascript***********:smilie('')
sgalaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 11:45 AM   #22
UMP

My Ride: 2002 E46M3
Quote:
Originally posted by sgalaba

Oh, And try to explain to the guy that thinks a part for an E36 will not work on a E46!

Oh...and how about the other way around ??
UMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 06:52 PM   #23
OPTIMO

My Ride: Car
I think that wing ruins that car...sorry...I like the ACS 3 piece much better.
OPTIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 07:04 PM   #24
Imola Ed
That's a lot of nuts!

My Ride: Formerly:2002 ACS M3
Send a message via AIM to Imola Ed
E36, E46, I don't care. That is nasty! If you're going to put a wing on that is functional, get the ACS wing. It's shhhweeet! It's the only wing I've seen that I actually like.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:36 PM   #25
sgalaba

For a wing to generate the most down force it needs to be up in the air stream. ACS is not up in the air stream. The ACS wing produces very little down force. If you don't believe me ask ASC how much down force it produces.

The CF wing on the other hands produces big time down force in the xxx lbs range, why because it's up high in the air stream, not hidding on the deck like the ACS wing does.

This is not about what looks good or cool, this is about function. The CF wing beats the ACS wing hands down. Sorry
Old 05-22-2002, 08:43 PM   #26
OPTIMO

That may be so...but in that case, I would get custom brackets made for the ACS wing. The two vertical brackets are what restricts how high the wing will sit...I would just get longer (thus higher) brackets.

I'm sure the wing is very effective, but it's an eye sore.

At least it's being used on your car...I see Honda's everyday that have wings that size or bigger, and they don't realize that the wing is actually slowing their car down:

added coefficient of drag
added weight
they don't go fast enough to need downforce to hold them to the road
Old 05-22-2002, 10:20 PM   #27
sgalaba

You have got to love it when a major ACS dealer (who also prepares race cars) advises against the ACS wing for the need and use I discussed with him.

The core section and width of the CF wing is 3-4 times larger than the ACS wing, a greater area to create down force.

The width and core section of the ACS is so small that even if you stuck it up high in the air stream it's not not going to create much down force, more than likly it will only create drag.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:20 AM   #28
Imola Ed
That's a lot of nuts!

Quote:
For a wing to generate the most down force it needs to be up in the air stream. ACS is not up in the air stream. The ACS wing produces very little down force. If you don't believe me ask ASC how much down force it produces.

The CF wing on the other hands produces big time down force in the xxx lbs range, why because it's up high in the air stream, not hidding on the deck like the ACS wing does.

This is not about what looks good or cool, this is about function. The CF wing beats the ACS wing hands down. Sorry
What's the amount of downforce that spoiler creates? ACS sez:
Quote:
The wind tunnel test performed by the editors at "sport auto" found that the AC Schnitzer Racing Rear Wing increased the downforce of the BMW M3 (E46) by 21.3 kg!
Old 05-23-2002, 05:36 AM   #29
OPTIMO

Quote:
The width and core section of the ACS is so small that even if you stuck it up high in the air stream it's not not going to create much down force, more than likly it will only create drag.
I hear you man, form follows function, but that wing is still ugly.

The main thing is it's doing its job. Do you have #s on the two wings that show it's added downforce/added drag?

Just curious.

I still like the styling of the ACS wing, it's a shame it doesn't apply in the real world though. Maybe something like that, just better designed? I really love the looks of that wing. As a matter of fact, that's the only wing I've seen for an E46 I would buy.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:20 AM   #30
sgalaba

Regarding:
"The wind tunnel test performed by the editors at "sport auto" found that the AC Schnitzer Racing Rear Wing increased the downforce of the BMW M3 (E46) by 21.3 kg!"

I read the same report and what was stated by Sport Auto was a test of the combined ACS pieces, front splitter and rear wing. The test found that the combined pieces front splitter and rear wing reduced LIFT by 21.3 kg. Nothing in the report talked about the down force created by the rear wing.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:15 AM   #31
Imola Ed
That's a lot of nuts!

Quote:
Regarding:
"The wind tunnel test performed by the editors at "sport auto" found that the AC Schnitzer Racing Rear Wing increased the downforce of the BMW M3 (E46) by 21.3 kg!"

I read the same report and what was stated by Sport Auto was a test of the combined ACS pieces, front splitter and rear wing. The test found that the combined pieces front splitter and rear wing reduced LIFT by 21.3 kg. Nothing in the report talked about the down force created by the rear wing.
I'm just quoting what they had on their site. Weird.