E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
mbgt72

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Question about Lighting; Fogs, Angel Eyes & Brights

I have a 2002 325ci and was wondering if there is a way to wire the foglights so that they could be turned on without the parking lights being turned on. I am about to buy some predator chromium 6000k angel eyes and would like to be able to turn on the angel eyes and the fogs without the yellow parking lights being turned on (yes I have thought about changing the turn signals to white lights). In addition I know many of you have installed these angel eyes and was wondering if you did a dedicated toggle switch set up or if you wired them into the normal lights and if so how. Also I was wondering what were good foglights to match the intensity of 6000k angel eyes. I was hoping to be able to get some that were a higher wattage to increase the light output at night. Finally I was wondering if there was a way to set up the brights so that not only the xenon limitor cap is lifted but so that also the interior set of lights (aka the daytime running lights that are also used to flash the brights) come on also to increase vision at night. I have thought about installing a dedicated set of driving lights below the lower grill but if I could get some lights to increase the output of both the fogs and hi beams while matching the angel eyes I would be ideal. Thanks a lot for your time and any help that you might be able to provide.
mbgt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
JmeC
Banned

My Ride: 2001 330iA
Be careful with higher wattage... your BMW was designed for 55 watts. The 100watt bulbs is putting your car at risk if your fogs are blaring for more than 20 minutes at a time.

Burnt housings, melted wire harnesses, even small fires in your engine compartment may happen as a result of higher wattage.

If you plan on using your fogs alot, make sure you don't exceed 55 watts.
JmeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:05 AM   #3
mbgt72

Yea I had heard that, that is one reason why I had thought of installing dedicated driving lights possibly behind the lower grill or in place of the current fogs.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:45 AM   #4
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
With our Predator Chromiums, you can wire them to just about anything, although we recommend using the ECU and remote kit taps. You can replace the ECU tap by wiring them to either your fogs or parking lights so that you can turn them on when you would like. Likewise, you can wire them to your ECU and install a kill switch below your steering wheel as per our instructions so that you can turn them on and off whenever you would like. There are multiple ways to wire our kit, your imagination is really the only limit.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
"I was hoping to be able to get some that were a higher wattage to increase the light output at night"

i don't know what bulbs the facelift coupes have for the fogs, but cars with 9006 hb3 bulbs can use 9005 bulbs. they are 60 watts and are not capped at the end, providing a better beam pattern. all you have to do is slightly trim the base. here are some instructions - http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/more_light.htm
i did this to my e36 and did not have any problems whatsoever

"Also I was wondering what were good foglights to match the intensity of 6000k angel eyes."

go for philips diamond vision. they are a perfect match for 6k chromiums. check out this thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...diamond+vision

philips diamond vision for the passenger side high beam, stock halogen on the driver side high beam, xtec 6k hid on the passenger side fog, philips crystal vision 9005 bulb on the driver side fog, oem 4300k bixenons in high beam mode (flaps down)
Old 09-13-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
mbgt72

I like the replaced fogs like and the brights too, but are the brights in that photo set up where they come on when the high beams are turned on continously, because on my 02 325ci it is set up where flashing the highs brings the interior lights on and then turning the ighs on by pushing the control stick on the steering column forward (sorry if I'm not getting some technical terms correct) only raises the limitor cap on the xenons and leaves the interior lights dormiant.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
yes, the inner halogen high beams also come on when in high beam mode (stalk pushed forward). that is how euro spec cars are programmed. the fogs also stay on
Old 09-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #8
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
You can wire the foglight switch power to a constant on and they will come on whenever you want. As for the high beams, I would make a pair (or single) rof relay harnesses that when the power is sent to move the projector cutoff the relay is tripped and power is given to the inner lights. You've gotta be clever with the relay wiring and use a 5 pin relay with the center pin as the current power wire, and the trigger as the flap power, and then 12 V as the closed circuit when the relay is triggered. Its not too hard but would require some soldering to be done correctly.
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
mbgt72

bump
Old 09-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #10
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
HID fogs will match your angels, thats what i got

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(