E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
M3bluewater

My Ride: 95 M3
Send a message via AIM to M3bluewater
I dont have a goal.....

Last Christmas I decided I wanted to lose a lot of weight. I didnt know what I was doing so I just decided to cut out a bunch of calories and went from a pizza, gatorade, cheesesteak, cookies, white bread diet to a water only, wheat only, low carb diet. I ended up going from 245 down to 180. I am up to 185 right now and Im 6'4" so Im pretty tall. My body fat used to be over 18%, and now its around 11%. My six pack is slowly coming in, but isnt there. But during that cut, I know I lost a lot of muscle because I lost the weight very quickly. (about 3 months).

After my successes I decided I wanted to get into nutrition and start learning about bodybuilding. From what I've learned from many people on these forums, in the weight room, and others i've talked to, I gained a wealth of knowledge over the past 9 months or so. For example, I drink a gallon of water everyday, get 190 grams of protein a day, and eat 2400 calories a day over 6 meals. I Supplement with a multi, fishoil, whey, malto, dex, mono, and no2, and even got a job at GNC (I'm that into it). I am maintaining my weight, but here is where I reach my problem....

Ive maintained my weight for a while now( I know this because I weigh myself every morning at the same time), and I dont seem to be getting stronger in the gym, or looking better in the mirror ( I might be, but not sure). But that 6 pack wont totally squeeze out, and I still have a somewhat puffy chest area. I dont understand it because I work out 5 days a week and have a perfect PWO shake, and perfect meals throughout the day. This is where I dont have a goal, I am trying to get stronger and lose bf% at the same time. I realize that this might not be possible. I was talking to a dude in the gym today and he said that he was bulking for the winter season, and then cut it all off before the summer comes around. He has a goal! I thought about doing that as well, but I am so afraid of the scale going up, Im afraid I might get fat like I was, it just seems like a bulk would go out of control and Ill give up forever.

What should I do, forget weighing myself in the morning? I am so compulsive and freaked out over that I cant let it go, b/c thats what helped me lose the weight (it kept me motivated), but now I cant let it go up like it was. Also remember, if I give up the scale, I dont want to get back on it in a month and be like 220 or something, I want to have a lean, cut body, but I want my muscle to grow! Help me!

Maybe I should just keep with my plan now not try to rush results? Should I keep putting the hard work like I am now, or will it be a waste? Maybe I can turn around the myth of gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time and be at 8% bf by the spring at 185lbs.?????????

Last edited by M3bluewater; 09-12-2006 at 05:37 PM.
M3bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
First and foremost, without the help of some "sports medicine" you're not going to put on 6lbs of lean mass while cutting fat.

So what do you want help with? Patience? That's the hardest part of all of this. Just look at the Olympia competition. I don't care if you ever have aspirations to be a professional bodybuilder... the point is that the guys who are competitive are all twice our age.

Stay on track and know the track you are on will help you achieve your goals - you just have to have patience.
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
CMT247

My Ride: 07 VW GTI
things will not necessarily get out of control if you try to bulk, just eat healthy. Change up your workout routine... different reps/amounts/machines/etc.

Are you looking to get stronger overall or are you just wanting to bulk up that 6 pack? Abviously you need to get rid of the weight to actually see it, but there are some pretty good routines. I found some 8 week program on some navy seal website, I will try and find it to post up

as dwass said... patience is key, also, don't weigh yourself every day - ie don't be so compulsive, change is going to happen slowly
CMT247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
you know i always worried about the fact you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Playing vball all year round, bulking at any time would suck for my game as it will only slow me down, but at the same time I do want to get stronger. So what did i do?

Train like the pro athletes do.

Combination of weight lifting (combination of circuit routines, heavy-reps, etc...making sure you switch up every so often), Olympic lifting, core work, plyometrics and high-interval cardio, I went down from 185 to 170 last spring, while gaining muscle (as evidenced by 15-20% increase in my bench press/squats/deadlifts).

I don't pay my attention to my weight per se, but as long as I get on a good workout regimen and watch my food intakes, there's no way I will get flabby like i used to be.

Sure doing cardio and lifting heavy may be counter productive, but there's still alot of muscle for me to gain and quite a bit of fat left to loose.

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote