E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
enigmAudi

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to enigmAudi
Bi-Xenon retrofit question

I have a 2001 330ci coupe.

I have the opportunity to buy some OEM bi-xenon projectors for a good price. I can either get the OEM ballasts (with wiring for bi-xenons) or Hella ballasts (with wiring just for one bulb) with the projectors. How difficult would it be to retrofit these given that 2001s didn't come with bi-xenons, only xenons.

Also, would the type of corners be different as well?
enigmAudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
BMW Loe

My Ride: is dirty
If you are retrofitting these into your current headlight housing, it'll use the same style corner that you currently use. Retrofitting is relatively simple if you know what you're doing.
BMW Loe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
enigmAudi

I'm getting the complete projector so I wanted to swap out the whole thing?

Also, I don't really care about having xenon hi-beams I just want lo-beams and would be okay with halogen hi-beams.... what is the easiest way to achieve this given my options above?

Last edited by enigmAudi; 09-20-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
BMW Loe

My Ride: is dirty
Oh, if it's the complete assembly (headlamp and all), it's just a matter of taking out the old ond and putting in the new one if its from a prefacelift coupe. Bi-xenon units use screw-in corners though, so you'll have some options:

#1 - Buy screw-in corners (easiest route, but costs more) to replace your clip-in and sell yoru clip-in in classifieds

#2 - transplant all bi-xenon internals into your current clip-in headlamp housing (timely, but least costly since no extra parts are required if you have basic tools) so you won't have to buy screw-in corners.
BMW Loe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
enigmAudi

Ok that sounds good. So now for the headlights themselves. Which ballast would be better/easiest to go with? What kind of wiring is going to be involved? Am I going to get headlight out warning messages? I'm pretty much resigning the bi-xenon capability because from what I read it's very difficult to do on a 2001 car...
Old 09-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmAudi View Post
Ok that sounds good. So now for the headlights themselves. Which ballast would be better/easiest to go with? What kind of wiring is going to be involved? Am I going to get headlight out warning messages? I'm pretty much resigning the bi-xenon capability because from what I read it's very difficult to do on a 2001 car...
There are a really only two things to question yourself on:

Which is more important, the functioning of your flashers, or HID high beams (mind you HID high beams are unbelievable once you've had them, you won't want halogen high's)?

And how good are you with wiring?

The bixenon's aren't impossible to retrofit by any means, E36 guys do it so I know you won't have too much of a pain. The only thing I remember being a question was the input voltage for the cutoff switch (bixenon feature) and you may need to put a resistor in, but a bunch of guys ran the 12V with no trouble as well.
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
i just retrofitted bi-xenons on to my friends 03 sedan, i would be more than happy to do it for you too. plus im local IM me if u wanna set something up

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
If you are going the OEM route, at least get the bixenons. That way you can justify spending $600 on a used set of headlights by the fact that you have xenon high beams.

With that said, standard xenons are in no way horrible in comparison. If you are going with the standard xenons, I highly recommend you take a look at our Projector46's which are BRAND NEW headlights for the same price as a set of used OEMs. These come with a full lifetime warranty, plug and play installation, email/phone/AIM support and an installation guide for your convenience.

Feel free to contact us with any questions
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
enigmAudi

Word up thanks for all the info fellas... im thinking about it.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:51 PM   #10
enigmAudi

Word up thanks for all the info fellas... im thinking about it.