E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
325inewbie

My Ride: 2003 325i
lose fat gain muscle question??

I realize that my line of thinking on this is flawed so I would like some of yall to help me out.....

I'm not that overweight but have gotten a little flabby since I started work about ten weeks ago (quit working out entirely when I did)

When I was in college I used to lift about 4 days a week (really no cardio) and was eating about the same diet and definitely had less fat on me

So how does this fall in line with the saying that "it's impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time" yet everyone on here that is starting a diet everyone tells them to lift to help lose weight???
325inewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
I never did read too much into that theory about losing fat and gaining muscle. If you want to MAXIMIXE muscle growth then I'm sure you can bulk and cut.

But I pattern my routine after an athlete's. Cardio and HIIT for endurance and speed training on a regular basis. Weightlifting for power and strength. I have lost 10 lbs this summer but continue to improve my lifting numbers. I figure that I have a lot of fat too lose and more muscle to gain

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
you can definitly lose fat and gain muscle. This is a great site for you to read over http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/losing-fat.asp

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

My Fitness YouTube Channel!!! Thanks for all the support I am GRATEFUL

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozwn8gNwXQVuG0se8cTpUQ
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
Masko

My Ride: silver coupe
Send a message via AIM to Masko
Unless you're genetically gifted or have a generally high metabolism (which I'm sure is the reason for your younger college days) it is near impossible to gain muscle and lose bodyfat at the same time. Science is against you.

Now I didnt say it was completely impossible only because I know there are people who have PERFECTED their diet to a T. This usually comes with years and years of trial and error and really getting to know how your body reacts to different nutrients at different times of the day and and what amount of rest, etc etc.

Muscle building sounds like a really simple concept: Tear down muscle fiber, then rebuild with nutrients and rest. Fat burning sounds equally as simple: burn more calories then you take in. Unfortunately the human body machine doesnt like things that simple. Eat enough nutrients to properly maintain muscle and 90% of the time SOME of that will convert into fat. Restrict calories enough and the body will start to eat away muscle for energy before reaching your fat stores.

Sorry for the long post Im just bored.

CLiff notes: Unless you eat the exact right amount and get the exact right amount of rest and excercise building muscle and losing fat at the same time is damn near impossible.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
325inewbie

My Ride: 2003 325i
hmmmm - let me try and rephrase this bc I'm getting two very different answer - I am not trying to get huge or really even bulk up - I am simply trying to lift to help with my fat loss as I have heard that the muscle you build burns more calories throughout the day and when you lose the fat the muscle underneath makes your body look much better - so if I am trying to eat healthier, jog occasionaly, and lift about 4 days a week pretty hardcore, are yall saying that I will either not build muscle and only lose fat or not lose any fat but build muscle??????

thanks for everybody's help here
325inewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
M3bluewater

My Ride: 95 M3
Send a message via AIM to M3bluewater
I think this question is the one that needs to be answered.....

Can one keep the same weight over time while decreasing % body fat?
M3bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masko View Post
Unless you're genetically gifted or have a generally high metabolism (which I'm sure is the reason for your younger college days) it is near impossible to gain muscle and lose bodyfat at the same time. Science is against you.

Now I didnt say it was completely impossible only because I know there are people who have PERFECTED their diet to a T. This usually comes with years and years of trial and error and really getting to know how your body reacts to different nutrients at different times of the day and and what amount of rest, etc etc.

Muscle building sounds like a really simple concept: Tear down muscle fiber, then rebuild with nutrients and rest. Fat burning sounds equally as simple: burn more calories then you take in. Unfortunately the human body machine doesnt like things that simple. Eat enough nutrients to properly maintain muscle and 90% of the time SOME of that will convert into fat. Restrict calories enough and the body will start to eat away muscle for energy before reaching your fat stores.

Sorry for the long post Im just bored.

CLiff notes: Unless you eat the exact right amount and get the exact right amount of rest and excercise building muscle and losing fat at the same time is damn near impossible.
Listen to Masko

For the average person, you can either bulk, maintain, or cut. Its extremely difficult to increase muscle mass/strength while losing fat. Why? B/c what determines whether you reach or goal or not is what you eat. You either eat above your maintenance calories to gain, or below it to cut. However, the only time the average person can do both at the same time, is when you first start out, but that phase quickly runs out in a few short weeks. And yes, muscle does help to burn more calories, so as you increase in muscle mass, you would obviously have to compensate for it by eating more and more calories throughout the day. Thats why you bulk, then cut. You eat an excess of calories to build the muscle while sacrificing some fat gain, then cut while struggling to keep muscle loss down to a minimum.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
M3bluewater

My Ride: 95 M3
Send a message via AIM to M3bluewater
So whats the point of working out when you want to maintain weight, just so you can eat more?

So I guess Im wasting my time killing myself in the gym, when all I have to do is eat less?????
M3bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #9
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
You asked "Can one keep the same weight over time while decreasing % body fat?" That's the same thing as saying can one gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Thats already been answered.

The question you need to ask yourself, is do you want to be a flabby 180 lbs for example, or a ripped 180 lbs. If you're happy with your current weight, then just eat and workout to maintain. If you want more mass, eat more, if you want to be smaller, eat less. Its all up to you. Sure you can stop working out and just eat less, but won't necessarily give you the body you want. Thats something you need to decide

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote