E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:34 PM   #201
TypeRvirus

My Ride: 04|325CI|ALPINEWHITE
Send a message via AIM to TypeRvirus Send a message via Yahoo to TypeRvirus
the only problem with taping the positive and negative is that i have a CAPACITOR on my amp, will that affect anything? oh as for the ipod . i have the lastest 30gb ipod photo.. last time i check it was the lastest and i can not update it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
A constant INIT message would tell me your firmware is old or that the DICE is not communicating with the iPod.

Here's what I recommend:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if these steps correct the problem. If not, we'll need to know the firmware and generation of your iPod.

Last edited by TypeRvirus; 09-19-2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:43 PM   #202
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRvirus View Post
the only problem with taping the positive and negative is that i have a CAPACITOR on my amp, will that affect anything?
Absolutely! Do not do this with a cap installed.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #203
TypeRvirus

My Ride: 04|325CI|ALPINEWHITE
Send a message via AIM to TypeRvirus Send a message via Yahoo to TypeRvirus
So what do you recomend? cause it's a pain in the ass to uninstall that CAP!
Quote:
Absolutely! Do not do this with a cap installed.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #204
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRvirus View Post
So what do you recomend? cause it's a pain in the ass to uninstall that CAP!
Sorry - you have to uninstall the cap, it's maintaining power.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:53 AM   #205
Solo118

My Ride: '02 330ci, '12 MDX
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
couple of questions on this unit:
1. I read somewhere if i have bmw assist/bluetooth that this device will not work... is there any truth to this?
2. Will the ipod automatically turn off once i shut the engine off?

3. How does this DICE unit compare to the ICELINK... i would rather have it in my glovebox and the icelink unit seems to have a cradle which i do not want exposed
Old 09-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #206
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
couple of questions on this unit:
1. I read somewhere if i have bmw assist/bluetooth that this device will not work... is there any truth to this?
2. Will the ipod automatically turn off once i shut the engine off?

3. How does this DICE unit compare to the ICELINK... i would rather have it in my glovebox and the icelink unit seems to have a cradle which i do not want exposed
1. Not true, the DICE is fully compatible with Assist/Bluetooth.
2. Yes, the iPod will pause and go into a sleep state.
3. The DICE features a docking cable, you can easily tuck this away in the glovebox or sungless holder out of view.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:27 PM   #207
Solo118

My Ride: '02 330ci, '12 MDX
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
Quote:
1. Not true, the DICE is fully compatible with Assist/Bluetooth.
2. Yes, the iPod will pause and go into a sleep state.
3. The DICE features a docking cable, you can easily tuck this away in the glovebox or sungless holder out of view.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

also what is the difference between the icelink and dice units? if you had to choose a better one which would it be?

i only ask because they are the same price on your website... also are there any "e46fanatics member discounts" ?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #208
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
also what is the difference between the icelink and dice units? if you had to choose a better one which would it be?

i only ask because they are the same price on your website... also are there any "e46fanatics member discounts" ?
We have a comparison of the two kits at this link: http://www.europeanautosource.com/ipod_matrix.php

The ice>Link kits are already at $20 off retail, let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #209
CCali
Banned

My Ride: bimmmmerrrr
Tom- 2 questions..

first- any idea what a clicking noise is during play? its very low and not too irritating, and can really only be heard at periods of no music.. but its like a click click click...

also second- its unrelated to dice but was hoping you may know. i have a mix, on my ipod, of mp3s downloaded from itunes and what not, and then of songs i got directly from c.d's. all the songs from c.d's are a good deal lower in volume than the others. any idea whats causing that?

thanks for any help
Old 09-21-2006, 07:45 PM   #210
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCali View Post
Tom- 2 questions..

first- any idea what a clicking noise is during play? its very low and not too irritating, and can really only be heard at periods of no music.. but its like a click click click...
Is the clicking heard with the engine running or off? If off, is there a difference with the engine running?

Quote:
also second- its unrelated to dice but was hoping you may know. i have a mix, on my ipod, of mp3s downloaded from itunes and what not, and then of songs i got directly from c.d's. all the songs from c.d's are a good deal lower in volume than the others. any idea whats causing that?

thanks for any help
Depends on the bitrate you ripped the tracks at. Also, some CDs have slightly different quality than others. Have you changed ripping programs recently?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:51 PM   #211
ezpunkx

My Ride: '05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Is the clicking heard with the engine running or off? If off, is there a difference with the engine running?
I've had the same problem since i bought mine.. makes no difference weather the engine is on or off. I do notice each click with the scrolling of the text on the screen.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:21 PM   #212
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpunkx View Post
I've had the same problem since i bought mine.. makes no difference weather the engine is on or off. I do notice each click with the scrolling of the text on the screen.
Contact me directly by email with a copy of your post, we'll need to perform further troubleshooting.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #213
CCali
Banned

My Ride: bimmmmerrrr
Quote:
Is the clicking heard with the engine running or off? If off, is there a difference with the engine running??
its all the time... from whats stated above i have a feeling it may be the internals of the ipod or something.. but i dont hear it through just head phones

Quote:
Depends on the bitrate you ripped the tracks at. Also, some CDs have slightly different quality than others. Have you changed ripping programs recently?

yea.. i'm using itunes now, media player before. plus my old cd rom stopped working so i swapped in an older one. do you think a new cd rom would do the trick? its sorta irritating having to turn it down after every song so i dont blow my speakers
Old 09-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #214
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
its all the time... from whats stated above i have a feeling it may be the internals of the ipod or something.. but i dont hear it through just head phones
If the backlight is on, try turning it off when connecting to the DICE. Some people with the BMW-version of the kit reported this was causing problems also.

Quote:
yea.. i'm using itunes now, media player before. plus my old cd rom stopped working so i swapped in an older one. do you think a new cd rom would do the trick? its sorta irritating having to turn it down after every song so i dont blow my speakers
The CDROM should be fine - it's probably within the settings of both programs that are causing the difference. There may be a soundcheck program that can balance the audio out between the tracks, I've never needed one.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:19 PM   #215
bktizzle

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
Tom,
Is there a different Dice kit/part number for cars with Navigation?
Old 09-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #216
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktizzle View Post
Tom,
Is there a different Dice kit/part number for cars with Navigation?
Here is the kit you need:

DICE iPod Integration Kit for BMW
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=268

Just select Navigation on the page when ordering.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #217
bktizzle

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
Quote:
Here is the kit you need:

DICE iPod Integration Kit for BMW
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=268

Just select Navigation on the page when ordering.
Is there a physical difference between the Navigation kit and the regular business CD kit? If I were to buy one used, what would I need to look for?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #218
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktizzle View Post
Is there a physical difference between the Navigation kit and the regular business CD kit? If I were to buy one used, what would I need to look for?
If you find a used kit, forward me the link and I will let you know. The kits in early form were Business CD/Navigation specific, now the same kit can be used with current firmware.

You would be best purchasing the system new, it's not much more money and will guarantee you a working kit.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #219
tingbro1

My Ride: 2002 330i
Hi Tom,

I've got Icelink plus and am considering the DICE upgrade through your site. Does DICE fix the alternating font size problem on ID3 tag displays on Nav systems? This was never fixed in Icelink.

Also is there an upgrade to allow search by artist?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 07:06 PM   #220
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingbro1 View Post
Hi Tom,

I've got Icelink plus and am considering the DICE upgrade through your site. Does DICE fix the alternating font size problem on ID3 tag displays on Nav systems? This was never fixed in Icelink.

Also is there an upgrade to allow search by artist?

Thanks
Yes - the DICE fully cures the ID3 text font changing issue.

The DICE does not allow the ability to search by artist, but allows the clickwheel to remain unlocked to allow for this feature as well as other iPod-specific features.
Closed Thread