E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
M3bluewater

My Ride: 95 M3
Send a message via AIM to M3bluewater
White vs. Brown Rice = White vs. Wheat Bread?

Is brown rice really that much better? I dont see the difference. White rice actually has less calories, and a pretty low GI. Whats the big deal about brown rice, just the fiber?

And also when comparing rice to bread, is it comparing apples and oranges because they both have a white and brown version? If its different, then eating white rice isnt as bad as eating white bread, right?
M3bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
46_coupe

My Ride: is lame
i personally think brown rice tastes like shiat........i love whole wheat everything tho

"As soon as you're born, you start dying, so you might as well have a good time" - Cake
46_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
The good thing about brown rice and wheat bread is that it retains its nutrients. White bread/rice is the same thing but devoid of nutrients. Brown products also have a higher fiber content and will keep you fuller longer.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
MFarrZHP

My Ride: Has 6 speeds
White rice, white bread and a multi-vitamin FTW!
Old 09-29-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
the main thing i think is that whole grains (brown rice, wheat bread) digests slower, so you use up more of the energy instead of turning it into fat (which is what happens to carbs if you dont use the energy that you retain from it)
Old 09-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
Masko

My Ride: silver coupe
Send a message via AIM to Masko
White rice goes through a milling process. Milling strips the outer layer of brown rice, turning it into white rice, and stripping it of a lot of nutrients (fiber, vitamins etc.) and breaking it down into more simple carbs as opposed to complex carbs.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:14 AM   #7
tazza0712

My Ride: 2005 320i M Sport
don't know about rice, but you'd be better off with eating that 9 grain bread or the bread with all of the different seed things as opposed to white, and it's also better than wholemeal bread for it's nutritional value, and it keeps you fuller for longer. man i love carbs.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:48 AM   #8
M3bluewater

My Ride: 95 M3
Send a message via AIM to M3bluewater
I know the nutritional differences between white and wheat bread and white and brown rice, I was asking if they fall into the same classifications of foods (breads and whatnot). The reason I asked this is because when I think white rice, I still think of fiber and something growing in rice patties, not a 'doughy' white bread type food.

But thanks for answering because somebody said it goes through a milling process that strips nutrients and I didnt know that which explains the differences. I guess rice that was just picked comes out brown.
M3bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
Naz24

My Ride: 2004 X5 4.4
white rice is "enriched" which is bad because it sucked all the nutrients out of it...stick with brown

*what can brown do for you* hahaha
Old 09-30-2006, 01:26 PM   #10
mach330

My Ride: E90 AW ///M3
brown hands down. i initially hated it, but after a while u get used to it. it's much better for you and complex carbs are much better for you. what i did initially is mix up half white half brown, then slowly increasing the brown portion. before you know it, brown is not bad.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:46 AM   #11
L IS FOR LUSH

My Ride: e92
see now my question is, in my cabinet we have have instant brown rice and instant whole grain brown rice...so the regular brown rice is just as bad as white or better?
Old 10-04-2006, 03:01 AM   #12
L IS FOR LUSH

My Ride: e92
hmm nevermind. just checked the ingredients on the box and they're both the same..guess they just changed their packaging