E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
cholesterol high??

hey guys,

anybody here have high cholesterol? both my good and bad are high and I don't know if need to be worried

For starters, I exercise regularly. 3x a week of cardio, 3x of weight-lifting, plyos 2x a week, volleyball 3x a week, etc, etc.

Diet - oatmeal everyday for breakfast, sensible lunch and dinner, lots of fiber. Trans-fats intakes are very low since I always usually just eat good wholesome food.

But my recent tests indication high LDL (and HDL) cholesterol. What gives?

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
330man

My Ride: Is sold
Send a message via AIM to 330man
Some people just don't process lipids as well as others. If exercise and good diet are not taking care of your problem then you might need some meds to control it. They work quite well from what I have seen in some friends. What does your physician say? Surely you obtained these results through a test ordered by an MD, no? What are your LDL and HDL numbers? I had mine checked earlier this year and I was 45 and 75 as I recall.

At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.
330man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
It could be genetics, I mean yea, a healthy diet and excercise is good, but its not guaranteed, you could still be plagued by high cholesterol b/c of your genetics. If I remember correctly, most doctors consider healthy cholesterol level to be somewhere around 200 or below.The breakdown of that 200 though is whats important, and that I believe was something like you wanna keep your HDL levels above 60, and your LDL levels below 100. So it is possible to have higher than 200 cholesterol and still be healthy b/c the breakdown is what is most important.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
330man

My Ride: Is sold
Send a message via AIM to 330man
High risk is below 40 HDL...maybe a bit higher than that for women. 60 is good too but not really neccesary as anything between 40 and 60 is healthy. Some people fret over these minute variations in numbers and probably do themselves more harm than good with the added stress they place upon themselves. Ultimately, ask your doctor about your options. This is not something you are going to want to treat on your own.

At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.
330man is offline   Reply With Quote