E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2006, 12:11 AM   #21
Clockwork

My Ride: E46, E31, E53
Nick, that sounds great, I still run the factory 4300k tubes, what kelvin rating would you recommend to closely match those from prolumen? Do they offer 5000k by chance?
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:18 AM   #22
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
I am very happy with them. I did not have to change my low beam lights to match (saved $100 there), and the bulbs are OEM Philips bulbs, so they are the exact same bulbs you have in your low beams. I bought them from hidexpert, so I paid the same as he is charging on his site now.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:21 AM   #23
Clockwork

sna77, where did they get shipped from? how much did that cost can you recall?

jlevi sounds l.50002e a cgood deal to me for $295 also (cause i am in canada)
Old 06-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #24
sna77
OEM ///Member

i bought them at www.hidexpert.com . Did you even click their link? Their kit is $275 with the OEM rebased bulbs.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:51 AM   #25
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Apples and oranges. Nothing matches HID like a real HID conversion kit
JL
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:00 AM   #26
PYRITE

My Ride: 1965 Ford Mustang
Umnitza & ProLumen = FTW

/thread

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
PYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:04 AM   #27
Clockwork

ftw? i am not sure what that shortcut means. please expand (god i feel like an idiot)

does the prolumen kit come as 5000k? or just 6000k and higher?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #28
Clockwork

sna77, i've been looking at the site since yesterday, but thwy dont mention anything about shipping charges or where they are shipped from, unless you have to start the purchase order and then find that info out. I have not done that.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #29
Crashspeeder

My Ride: 2004 TiAg M3
Send a message via ICQ to Crashspeeder Send a message via AIM to Crashspeeder Send a message via MSN to Crashspeeder Send a message via Yahoo to Crashspeeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
ftw? i am not sure what that shortcut means. please expand (god i feel like an idiot)

does the prolumen kit come as 5000k? or just 6000k and higher?
FTW = for the win
Crashspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:27 AM   #30
Clockwork

ahhhh thanx.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:55 AM   #31
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

That rebased kit looks a little messy to install, because the bulbs still use a D2S/D2R connector. I'd avoid it, but you are the consumer - not me
JL
Old 06-22-2006, 12:10 PM   #32
Clockwork

jlevi, what style bulb will come with this kit, the d2s (projector set up) or the d2r (reflector set up)?
I want as much light of course, but not to make any oncomming traffic pissed.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:00 PM   #33
Clockwork

perhaps confused, perhaps...

got a quick question, and this is more for the sponsors I'd guess, cause they may have asked the companies they buy HID kits from before...

I just ordered my 5000k prolumen conversion kit (for my fogs, I am excited) but while on the phone, I asked about the d2s and d2r style bulbs (which have diff bases from each other) and what he recommended. At the time I thought the glass tube produced/directed the light differently, but now I know it is that they have a different base on them and he told me the glass tube from those bulb styles is transfixed onto a 9006 base (to make plug and play happen) BUT why does no company out there, just build a 9006 base hid glass tube bulb?

why does the d2s/d2r glass tube have to be re-based onto a 9006 housing? sounds like extra work and chance of failure rates getting larger.

wouldnt it just be cheaper to manufacture an HID 9006 base bulb with the glass tube instead of having to remove and install a xenon glass tube onto a 9006 base?

OR am I getting confused?

Last edited by Clockwork; 06-22-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #34
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

I think I confused you. This bulb is indeed built onto a 9006 base from the getgo, no mechanical rebasing whatsoever. The bulb you are buying, however, is most similiar to a D2S, although without the base, there really is not much of a difference.

Also, I just read at the top of your thread that your demon eyes from Xtec went haywire. Hit us up if you want to go to Chromium

Thank you for your business, we greatly apreciate it!
JL
Old 06-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #35
Clockwork

Jlevi, nope you were great explainging things on the phone, it was just that i read a few websites about products and how the 9006 base has the glass tube transplanted onto it, I thought it was being removed from a good d2s/r housing and instaled on to these. and when we spoke you said it was re-based, so i just though re-basing was to remove and install onto another base...
but i am glad to hear they are built like that in the first place. schweeet
so i was confused but once again you saved the day hahah

yeah i did buy those raptors as a group buy last winter after all, and i think out of the group, i may be one of the only ppl still running them successfully, although I did have to buy a used inverter off my friend chris cause he was taking the system out of his car because of ring troubles/hassles.

i love how the rings appear on the car, but i swear if one more ring goes, the entire system is getting pulled. it is soooooo unreliable, and the service was so shotty with whoever we bought from. free replacements on inverters my as$

Last edited by Clockwork; 06-22-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:03 AM   #36
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlevi SW View Post
That rebased kit looks a little messy to install, because the bulbs still use a D2S/D2R connector. I'd avoid it, but you are the consumer - not me
JL

Just looking over some old threads I replied too... This comment relly bothers me...

The rebased 9006 is hardly a "messy install." It comes with a cable that attaches to whatever type of ballast you have (you let him know when you order). Mine came with the proper cable for a Prolumen ballast set. They install the exact same way as the Prolumen / Xtec / Whatever kits... Oh, and the bulbs are made in Germany, OEM (er, better quality) than the latest round of Asian imports...

This forum has gotten to the point where sponsors will say anything to make a buck that the truth often gets lost... And heaven forbid someone carry a good product that the sponsors don’t sell… The facts are that the sponsors were selling Xtec for a few years and they were routinely being touted as the best of the best for HID... Now its Prolumen that has amazingly passed Xtec as the "higher quality" product... What’s the real reason behind this? A few bad ballasts here and there—or is it the lower cost / higher markup they’re getting on Prolumen…

I don’t have a problem with the sponsors selling things on here and using the forums as an avenue to do so… FWIW, I’ve bought different things from most of the sponsors at some point over the past few years, and my opinion is that they’re prices are generally reasonable to a bit expensive depending on the item. More expensive than eBay of course, but you’re paying for customer service / the ability to return something if its incorrect, etc, so I don’t have an issue with that… But its gotten to the point of trashing anything not sold by them… This current thread is a prime example of that. The original poster was looking for a way to perfectly match OEM HIDs with his fogs. My response was that the only way to EXACTLY match 4300k Philips HID bulbs, is to use OEM 4300k Philips HID bulbs. Other things come close (4500k Xtec / Prolumen bulbs do not match BTW—I know as I’ve had them both, and been unhappy with the results), but nothing is going to be as precise as using the same bulb of course…
Old 10-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #37
umnitza
877•486•6489

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Oh, and the bulbs are made in Germany, OEM (er, better quality) than the latest round of Asian imports...

I'm sorry, you know this how? Use your BS detector to figure out why someone would claim "Made in Germany". I know when I'm in Asia, all I hear from the HID vendors is "Ours is Made in Germany" when it really isn't.

This forum has gotten to the point where sponsors will say anything to make a buck that the truth often gets lost...

Sorry, this has always been the case. Your job as the consumer is to weed out the crap.

And heaven forbid someone carry a good product that the sponsors don’t sell… The facts are that the sponsors were selling Xtec for a few years and they were routinely being touted as the best of the best for HID...

Actually, the truth is one sponsor was carrying it and distributing it. When the failure rate became over 50% on two successive orders from the factory that was too much. Enough is enough. I don't buy the claims of "improved quality" but then again, I don't sell it. I'm sure you'll also note that another prominent sponsor recently changed their marketing to another product, moving away from X again.

Now its Prolumen that has amazingly passed Xtec as the "higher quality" product... What’s the real reason behind this?

No, a new product was discovered that turned out to be much better than what was before. That's progress. Therefore, it's offered as progressively better. Seems like one should be happy that a new product has been introduced that is better than the old one, whose quality control hit a wall and went bouncing in the negative direction.

A few bad ballasts here and there—or is it the lower cost / higher markup they’re getting on Prolumen…

Actually, Prolumen cost way more than the X product line. They were always 20% higher in costs, and remain that way to this day. But even if
So your cynicism, while healthy, is misplaced for this situation just solely based on the comments highlighted.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #38
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
So your cynicism, while healthy, is misplaced for this situation just solely based on the comments highlighted.
Oh, and the bulbs are made in Germany, OEM (er, better quality) than the latest round of Asian imports...

I'm sorry, you know this how? Use your BS detector to figure out why someone would claim "Made in Germany". I know when I'm in Asia, all I hear from the HID vendors is "Ours is Made in Germany" when it really isn't.

Regarding this part... they are Philips stamped bulbs. They perfectly match the OEM ones that came in my OEM bi-xenons... in both appearance and in light output... they are indeed Philips rebased bulbs.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #39
umnitza
877•486•6489

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Here's a "hint" - that "stamp" is easily recreated and I doubt Philips will expend valuable resourced hunting a font duplicator down
Old 10-06-2006, 03:06 PM   #40
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
Here's a "hint" - that "stamp" is easily recreated and I doubt Philips will expend valuable resourced hunting a font duplicator down
That's your best response?
'sna77' says they advertise as using rebased Philips (you can go to their website and look).
"They perfectly match the OEM ones that came in my OEM bi-xenons... in both appearance and in light output... they are indeed Philips rebased bulbs."
So their website states they use new Philips bulbs, they look identical in appearance, light output, and stamped as Philips and you representing Umnitza come out with they are probably not Philips but only stamped with a fake Philips stamp.
That's a pretty serious accusation you make towards this other company who is not here as a sponsor to defend themselves. Wow. I guess this is the part of what you said "Your job as the consumer is to weed through the crap"..better words have never be spoken.
Why would it be impossible for a HID specialty company to rebase Philips bulbs?
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote