E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
330cibimmer

My Ride: Sold 330Ci, EVO 8
s/c with ported cylinders, pistons, rods????

If im getting a s/c or thinkin bout gettin one, would any of these 3 mods help me? or would they not work in conjunction with the s/c cuz i dont know if i want s/c or these mods, or do they all work together great? thanx
330cibimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
ridin325

My Ride: 2013 911 C2S
they will all work together to get the most out of it i would get a tune
ridin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
clean-m-tech330

My Ride: Technik 330ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to clean-m-tech330
Adding pistons and rods, in conjunction with a port, can only add to the car's performance. If you get forged rods and pistons you'll be able to boost more, software permittig, and make pretty damn good power.
'07 Subaru Satin White Pearl STI - Garage Queen
'11 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Daily
clean-m-tech330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
ridin325

if you decide to boost more i would get lower compression pistons and new head studs
by the way if your goin for the most power do a custom turbo way cheaper than buying a supercharger and if your goin through all the hassle of new rods and pistons you should do it, doing it right with brand new parts would run you 2.5-3.5k depending on which turbo you get this does not include your piston and rods but everything that you need to build a turbo
there is one guy on the board with an atp turbo and i think he has 8:5:1 compression pistons and is running in the mid 400's
good luck
Old 10-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
eTsil325

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin325 View Post
if you decide to boost more i would get lower compression pistons and new head studs
by the way if your goin for the most power do a custom turbo way cheaper than buying a supercharger and if your goin through all the hassle of new rods and pistons you should do it, doing it right with brand new parts would run you 2.5-3.5k depending on which turbo you get this does not include your piston and rods but everything that you need to build a turbo
there is one guy on the board with an atp turbo and i think he has 8:5:1 compression pistons and is running in the mid 400's
good luck

I think that there is a reason why the bmw tuner world has not yet come out with a turbo system. I would say DONT go custom. If you want to mod your bmw, do it the right way. You get what you pay for. Twin SCrew that is coming is just as good if not better than a turbo if you are planning to get reliability and daily driving out of it. Believe it or not, bmw's require much more work than custom turbo's on a honda or any 240sx. Unless you are VERY VERY mechanically inclined or know somewhat that is, stick to the mass produced systems that are R&Ded for us.
eTsil325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
ridin325

they require no more work than any other car you dont use anything different than if you would be building one for a honda or any car, yes the turbo and exhaust manifold between cars will be different but there is nothing custom you have to make other than your piping.
by the way the twinscrew is at most 50% efficient on the other hand a turbo is 70% efficent if you dont believe me do some research, turbo cars are great daily drivers to as long as you dont set it up for a race application
if you yourself or if one of your friends was goin to put the pistons and rods in you are more than mechanicaly inclind to make a turbo set up.
As for you get what you pay for, this is the main problem with the bmw community they think just because our cars cost more it is ok to charge us out the ass for any mods. example there is a thread on this forum about intakes it compares the 900 (or however expensive it is) group m intake compared to the 250 k&n intake. he had dyno results and the more expensive group m intake actually reduced hp while the k&n had a good sized increase in hp
There are turbo e46's on the board and they all turned out well, all that it takes is research
Old 10-06-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
eTsil325

Quote:
they require no more work than any other car you dont use anything different than if you would be building one for a honda or any car, yes the turbo and exhaust manifold between cars will be different but there is nothing custom you have to make other than your piping.
by the way the twinscrew is at most 50% efficient on the other hand a turbo is 70% efficent if you dont believe me do some research, turbo cars are great daily drivers to as long as you dont set it up for a race application
if you yourself or if one of your friends was goin to put the pistons and rods in you are more than mechanicaly inclind to make a turbo set up.
As for you get what you pay for, this is the main problem with the bmw community they think just because our cars cost more it is ok to charge us out the ass for any mods. example there is a thread on this forum about intakes it compares the 900 (or however expensive it is) group m intake compared to the 250 k&n intake. he had dyno results and the more expensive group m intake actually reduced hp while the k&n had a good sized increase in hp
There are turbo e46's on the board and they all turned out well, all that it takes is research

If you do some research, Its not the hardware that makes turbo e46's difficult, its the software. Why do you think ATP didnt mass produce their kit? Theyve been saying that it would be coming out for the last 3 years already.
Unless you want a standalone which is a couple grand, not including the cost of tuning go right ahead. But all that time, money and effort put into making a turbo e46 work is probably worth the value of the reliable supercharger kits out there.

By the way, i wasnt saying turbo cars arent efficient, but for daily driving, unless you have twins or have a mechanic comparable to OEM engineers you wont get the same area under the curve effect (power throughout) as you would with a twin screw. I love turbo cras, but the dream of a cost effective reliable e46 turbo is long gone.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
ridin325

i have done some research you dont need a stand alone ecu to do the job you can piggy back with equip such as greddy emanage, apexi savc which by the way only cost about 300 dollars all you need is a pc, you can do the tune yourself (stock ecu adjust to 4.5 lbs of boost if you dont wanna tune). Or you can go all out and have someone dyno tune a piggy back set up for your car which will produce far greater power than the generic piggy back ecu that are on the superchargers
the twin screw will have more off idle torque but if you select the right turbo you can have very minimal lag and in the end a turbo running the same boost as a supercharger the turbo will produce alot more power
you can easily have the same area or more under the curve on a turbo all that it takes is some time to tune. The whole the ecu isnt tunable is a bunch of bullshit its been done.
By the way you could do a custom turbo and have it dyno tuned by a pro if you realy wanted and it would still come out cheaper than these superchargers that dont produce nearly enough power for how much you pay for them
Old 10-09-2006, 12:31 AM   #9
eTsil325

Quote:
i have done some research you dont need a stand alone ecu to do the job you can piggy back with equip such as greddy emanage, apexi savc which by the way only cost about 300 dollars all you need is a pc, you can do the tune yourself (stock ecu adjust to 4.5 lbs of boost if you dont wanna tune). Or you can go all out and have someone dyno tune a piggy back set up for your car which will produce far greater power than the generic piggy back ecu that are on the superchargers
the twin screw will have more off idle torque but if you select the right turbo you can have very minimal lag and in the end a turbo running the same boost as a supercharger the turbo will produce alot more power
you can easily have the same area or more under the curve on a turbo all that it takes is some time to tune. The whole the ecu isnt tunable is a bunch of bullshit its been done.
By the way you could do a custom turbo and have it dyno tuned by a pro if you realy wanted and it would still come out cheaper than these superchargers that dont produce nearly enough power for how much you pay for them
I wouldnt be so confident. If it were that easy then someone would have mass produced it already. Again, ATP wouldnt just develop and put R&D into a supposedly perfectly reliable turbo kit only to just leave it on the shelf. It just doesnt make sense. WHY would AA spent time deveoping a turbo kit only to abandon the project?