E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
stylinexpat

My Ride: 03 BMW 330I PER PCKG
Supercharge or Turbocharge?

We can now either thrown in a Supercharger on our old E46 or buy a new 335i Twin Turbo where Car and Driver is claiming 4.8 seconds from 0-60 MPH and that is stock. 4.8 Sec. with no LSD, heavy factory wheels, probably also running run-flat tires. I am now debating on wether to keep my old E46 330i or buy the new 335i Sedan with the new Twin-Turbo and start tuning. I feel that I now have a choice between Supercharging the old or boosting the new Twin-Turbo. I have always been a fan of Turbos I have owned 2 WRX'S and the Boost feeling is nice when it kicks in. It will only be a amatter of time before all tuners are modding the new 335's and we start seeing them on the cover of Turbo Magazine like we see the EVO'S and WRX'S now. I'm pretty sure my current Supercharged 330 will pull to sixty in around 4.4-4.7 seconds. My goal is to have a sub 4 second car though and I will be happy whether it be the new Turbo or the current Supercharged version of my E46. Top speed chould be the same on these when tuned as they both should see 170 easily. How many here are Supercharging and how many are getting the new Turbo or already have?
stylinexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
GodSendsDeath

My Ride: 2008 350z 6-speed!!!
I just got my check for my last car that was wrecked. It was a e46330ci, and iam looking into a new car and the new car probably will be a either a e46 M or a e46330 zhp. The new line up can waite 5yrs or so for me. Turbo or no i see your point, i mod my cars for DD and iam not as much concerned what the next guy got so I hope this gives you a diff point of view.
GodSendsDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
dumesday4u

My Ride: 09 JGC
Send a message via AIM to dumesday4u
i have a 2001 330xi..was thinking about SC it but thats around 5g i duno if its really worth the money. its an old car but only got 44k miles on it, isnt it kind of a waste to SC that rather then buyin the new 335i?
dumesday4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
funkyman

My Ride: 330ci,Mazdaspeed3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumesday4u View Post
i have a 2001 330xi..was thinking about SC it but thats around 5g i duno if its really worth the money. its an old car but only got 44k miles on it, isnt it kind of a waste to SC that rather then buyin the new 335i?
Yeah right lets see if you can buy a 48K+tax+reg+600usd dealer fees=335i+ I mean what a wonderfull wise investment for the next 5 years.Trust me the E46 looks sexier inside and out and 10K is worth spending on an E46.It will outperform 335 and an M3 if you upgrade suspension and clutch as well with Bilstein etc.Basically if you spend 10k on your E46,it will outperform the M3E46 or 335 E92 any day.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
clean-m-tech330

My Ride: Technik 330ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to clean-m-tech330
only to a certain level though, you have to remember with the m3 and 335 you're starting from an entirely different platform. At least from a motor, drivetain, and specific suspension areas. If you add x amount to an m3 or to a 335, I think you'll find that you may bot be as on the mark as you'd like to think.
'07 Subaru Satin White Pearl STI - Garage Queen
'11 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Daily
clean-m-tech330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
dumesday4u

My Ride: 09 JGC
Send a message via AIM to dumesday4u
so basically instead of puttin more money in to get the stocked 335i just use that money to boost my current car?
dumesday4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:22 AM   #7
clean-m-tech330

My Ride: Technik 330ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to clean-m-tech330
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumesday4u View Post
so basically instead of puttin more money in to get the stocked 335i just use that money to boost my current car?
What i was saying was that's entirely up to you. All i was attempting to point out is the differences between the platforms. Look at it this way, the 335 has 300hp stock and the 330 has 225-235(zhp) no there's already a sizable gap between the two. Now to reach the same hp as the 335 you'll have to spend x amount of cash to get the same amount of power. Now with the new 335 since it's already turbo, you can do little things, intake, exhaust, software and make considerable power for quite a bit less. I may be coming across as a little vague, but think about it and you'll understand quite quickly. Either way at the end of the day it comes down to what you like and what you can either afford or want to spend. Good luck
'07 Subaru Satin White Pearl STI - Garage Queen
'11 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Daily
clean-m-tech330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:35 AM   #8
Shinobi
Addicted to Autocross

My Ride: 2001 Jet Black 330Ci
FYI - Vishnu Performance Systems is already tuning the 335i. I don't know much about them myself, but they seem to have a good reputation amongst Evo and WRX folk as far as I can tell. Maybe you know them? They're still very early in development, but check out what they're getting already .

Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:33 AM   #9
stylinexpat

My Ride: 03 BMW 330I PER PCKG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
FYI - Vishnu Performance Systems is already tuning the 335i. I don't know much about them myself, but they seem to have a good reputation amongst Evo and WRX folk as far as I can tell. Maybe you know them? They're still very early in development, but check out what they're getting already .

That car will brake the 400 Horsepower very easily. If I remember correctly, Vinshu did a great job on an EVO that was tested by Turbo magazine and they said it was one of the best tuned cars that they had driven.
stylinexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #10
funkyman

Turbo charge it my man turbo is the way to go.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #11
moses1911

My Ride: 330 Xi & X5 4.4i
I think what it boils down to is 10k gets you more hp for your money. You can drop 48k on a car that produces the same amount of hp off shelf, but the additional hp gains are small, unless you sc or turbo it. At that point you now have close 60k tied up in a "new" car, that the dealer won't cover.
moses1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #12
330cibimmer

My Ride: Sold 330Ci, EVO 8
i have an 03 330CI with step tranny and was wondering what would be better for my car a turbo or s/c, because i have intake, hks exhaust and supersprint headers, so what will be a better outcome on my car?
330cibimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #13
funkyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
We can now either thrown in a Supercharger on our old E46 or buy a new 335i Twin Turbo where Car and Driver is claiming 4.8 seconds from 0-60 MPH and that is stock. 4.8 Sec. with no LSD, heavy factory wheels, probably also running run-flat tires. I am now debating on wether to keep my old E46 330i or buy the new 335i Sedan with the new Twin-Turbo and start tuning. I feel that I now have a choice between Supercharging the old or boosting the new Twin-Turbo. I have always been a fan of Turbos I have owned 2 WRX'S and the Boost feeling is nice when it kicks in. It will only be a amatter of time before all tuners are modding the new 335's and we start seeing them on the cover of Turbo Magazine like we see the EVO'S and WRX'S now. I'm pretty sure my current Supercharged 330 will pull to sixty in around 4.4-4.7 seconds. My goal is to have a sub 4 second car though and I will be happy whether it be the new Turbo or the current Supercharged version of my E46. Top speed chould be the same on these when tuned as they both should see 170 easily. How many here are Supercharging and how many are getting the new Turbo or already have?

OK no use talking nonsence tell me how much are you willing to spend,how much money have you got?.Can you wait 8 months if yes then wait for an ultimate turbo kit.If not if you have 10k then you can get the stage 2 or 3 ESS twin screw and that will give you up to 370hp without cams.Thats serious horsepower,enough to take on any M3 or chipped 335i.If you put in cams headers etc you should be able to achieve 400hp with stage 4.Then you are in Corvette z06 and Chrsler 300 SRT8 and GTO territory.OHHHHHHHH YEAHHHH BAY the only difference is that your baby is a prettier car than all of them.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
ice330ci05

My Ride: 2005 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman View Post
OK no use talking nonsence tell me how much are you willing to spend,how much money have you got?.Can you wait 8 months if yes then wait for an ultimate turbo kit.If not if you have 10k then you can get the stage 2 or 3 ESS twin screw and that will give you up to 370hp without cams.Thats serious horsepower,enough to take on any M3 or chipped 335i.If you put in cams headers etc you should be able to achieve 400hp with stage 4.Then you are in Corvette z06 and Chrsler 300 SRT8 and GTO territory.OHHHHHHHH YEAHHHH BAY the only difference is that your baby is a prettier car than all of them.
so there is a turbo kit coming out for the 330?
Old 10-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #15
Sharky06

My Ride: 06 ZHP 6-SP
Send a message via AIM to Sharky06
What is the differnt btw turbo charged and supercharged?
Old 10-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #16
Mliner
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: Boosted ZCP E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to Mliner Send a message via Yahoo to Mliner
The 335I is going to be so sick. I can't wait till we see what the aftermarket has to offer.
Mliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #17
funkyman

The key difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger is its power supply. Something has to supply the power to run the air compressor. In a supercharger, there is a belt that connects directly to the engine. It gets its power the same way that the water pump or alternator does. A turbocharger, on the other hand, gets its power from the exhaust stream. The exhaust runs through a turbine, which in turn spins the compressor.Thats why the supercharged Mercedeses are called Kompressors.