E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #1
JByron

My Ride: Two-wheeled unicycle
Question for LED experts

I'm looking for really flat and really bright red led's to do an illuminated door sills project. Can anyone recommend any stores or products?

Here's a picture of the underside of my doorsills so you get an idea of the limitations in space I'll be working with.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #2
HighVoltage

My Ride: 2007 335i
www.digikey.com
www.mouser.com

What kind of look are you going for?

Last edited by HighVoltage; 10-10-2006 at 01:04 AM.
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:16 AM   #3
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
www.superbrightleds.com
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:29 AM   #4
JByron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
www.digikey.com
www.mouser.com

What kind of look are you going for?
I'll be illuminating the lettering on the other side that says RSX. I plan to cut out the plastic and replace it with a transparent material, and light it an even red glow that matches the interior lighting. I want it to fade on when the door opens and off when I close it.

Any electrical expertise would be much appreciated as well. I'm guessing a system of resistors will be needed, and I'll have to tap into the dome light power wire?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:41 AM   #5
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
just go to the site i posted and click the hobby section. should give you some basic info for what you're doing i guess. hope it helps.
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:54 AM   #6
HighVoltage

Multiple leds with a resistor array is one approach. Sizing shouldnt be too much of an issue as you can get them down at least as far as 0603 but I imagine you would be more comfortable working with a size like T1. There's always fiber optic too...In either case I would look for some superbrite ~630-660nm (red) leds as your starting point.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:21 AM   #7
JByron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
Multiple leds with a resistor array is one approach. Sizing shouldnt be too much of an issue as you can get them down at least as far as 0603 but I imagine you would be more comfortable working with a size like T1. There's always fiber optic too...In either case I would look for some superbrite ~630-660nm (red) leds as your starting point.
http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/BP121/

are these the ones you mean? how bright is 50mcd? I'm afraid that an array wouldn't provide an even glow, but rather several red dots

or are these better?
http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/L200-0UR/
Old 10-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
HighVoltage

The "brightness" of an led can be somewhat ambigious given each person has their own opinion on what is "bright". To me, 50 millicandelas (mcd) is not very bright at all. I would look for something at least 250mcd if not 1000mcd+. The problem, is that typcially the higher the mcd output the larger the led. Also keep in mind they typically list figures at nominal levels. You may end driving the led a little higher or lower depending on the source voltage. You will need to current limit the led with a resistor with respect to your source voltage (i.e 12V - 14V). The current draw is proportional to the limiting resistor and (not quite linear though) to the mcd. You usually have to comprise between the "perfect" resistor value and what is available.

I would suggest going down to your local electronics store and pick up a led or two, calculate the resistor value you will need (we can help) and judge the brightness for yourself. I would also make a template out of something like cardboard of the doorsill with your intended cuts. This way you can experiment with different leds until you get the look you are after.

Last edited by HighVoltage; 10-10-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:27 AM   #9
HighVoltage

One other small thing....you should keep on eye on the full or viewable angle listed too. Some leds put out large mcd ratings but are coupled with very tight (small) angles. What this boils down to, is that the light intesity has a sharp drop off as viewing angle deviates from the orthoganal with respect to the led base. So if your are not looking straight at the led with it right in front of you, you may not see much light (look very dull).

There are quite a few sites out there that explain leds. Here is nice and simple example: http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm