E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 10:32 AM   #41
stephan330ci

My Ride: Its winter, FORD
Send a message via AIM to stephan330ci
[QUOTE=Shinobi;5103758]These pictures were taken a few years ago with a 3-megapixel Canon Powershot G3. Even with inferior equipment, a nicely composed shot and a little touchup go a long way.

Ok so by having the 6.0 MP SD600 i should be able to take quality pictures. But how much photo shop goes into a picture, for example, section 6 where you took out the light poles in the background. Is that all you touched up on in that picture or are there other things you changed.

Also, i have taken some pictures where the blacks or whites blend togeather eliminating the detail. Such as, you have listed with the details on the tires or with the window blending with the white sky. How do i take care of this kind of problem?

oh and.... the good looking female should be an unwriten rule ..... now every one will have good looking women in there pictures.
stephan330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #42
RonnieRenaldi
MPRESIV

My Ride: Dinan Supercharged M
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3racing View Post
is this a good cam?http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099394810083

really dont want to spend more than that much.. but I want nice pics
I would get the new Canon Digital Rebel XTi (400D) if I were you

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14256

I bought my Canon DSLRs from ebay, usually you can find a really great deal there. Here's the ebay store I bought from:

http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera
RonnieRenaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:57 AM   #43
RonnieRenaldi
MPRESIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan330ci View Post
But how much photo shop goes into a picture, for example, section 6 where you took out the light poles in the background. Is that all you touched up on in that picture or are there other things you changed.

Also, i have taken some pictures where the blacks or whites blend togeather eliminating the detail. Such as, you have listed with the details on the tires or with the window blending with the white sky. How do i take care of this kind of problem?
I used Photoshop to take out the light poles and also adjusted the Levels. That's it.
The original picture is already good because I use spot metering to the car (the subject).
And also the parking lot wall really helped blocking the bright sunset light. If there was no wall, I definitely need to use flash to correctly expose the car, if not the car will underexposed (dark) compared to the bright background (getting shadows only because I was facing the sun).
Old 11-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #44
space

My Ride: '00 320i
Something I haven't managed to do yet, is to edit marked areas.
Well not the area itself, but the "dotted" lines surrounding the marked area...

Like, if I use the magnetic lasso tool around an object, but the line sticks to some other objects in the background. How can I then edit the marked area so it fits around my main object? For instance my car.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #45
JDMOTO

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Send a message via AIM to JDMOTO
Tips from Pros

Tips from professional photographers.

Top 8 DON'T - As Advised By 'Speed' Magazine
-Don't shoot your car on grass or sand (You wouldn't believe how many times this came up over the article) leave it for the cows.
- Don't allow telegraph poles or trees to be in the background as it will look like they are sticking out of your cars roof.
- Don't leave windows half open.
- Don't shoot dark cars in the middle of the day.
- Don't have shadows cast under or over the car.
- Don't forget to wash your car, dirt really shows up in pictures.
- Don't just take one shot.

I know most of them a gimmies but you'd be surprised how many cars I see on here not following the most obvious ones.

Top 8 DOS - As Advised By 'Speed' Magazine
- Do shoot your car on concrete or asphalt; it looks natural
- Do shoot dark cars in soft ambient late-afternoon light. (Sunset always looks awesome)
- Do examine the paint all the paintwork for clean, simple reflections
- Do point the wheels AWAY from the camera (so everyone can see your wicked expensive rims)
- Do keep the background clean and simple (remember it's about your ride not the scenery)
- Do try to find a low angle that will make your car look phat.
- Do detail everything, such as windows, tires and inner guards.
- Do experiment and practice.

Other photo tips from professional photographers such as Mark Bean, Guy Bowden, Cristian Brunnelli or Tony Rabbitte.

- Shoot dark cars at sunset or sunrise, shoot bright cars in sunshine. Pearl, candy and metallic need sun and lots of it.
- Again NO grass, sand or trees growing out of the roof.
- Gaffer tape is a useful waxing tool on carpet if a vacuum cleaner is not at the ready.
- Black the tires, black the tires, black the tires.
- Check the off-camera objects and make sure your mates yellow R32 isn't reflecting in your beautiful paintwork. Ensure your shots are clean. Top photographers use the reflection of the landscape horizon to emphasize body lines.
- Hit the deck cars look great from a low angle, giving that mean outta-my-way stance. Beware of ants.
- Do try taking shots of your car on the move action shots always look great.
- Again make sure your car is immaculately clean with all those little extras not forgotten.
- When taking interior shots park the whole car in a shaded area.
- Study your subject first. Walk around the car and view it at different view points, to see which angle looks best.
- Don't be afraid to move your car around, this will make your collection more diverse.

more advance: flash photography on cars.

like studio work but doing it outside.

Last edited by JDMOTO; 11-08-2006 at 03:42 PM.
JDMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:47 PM   #46
RonnieRenaldi
MPRESIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMOTO View Post
- Check the off-camera objects and make sure your mates yellow R32 isn't reflecting in your beautiful paintwork.
if it's a Lambo Murcie LP640 reflecting, then it's ok for me
Old 11-08-2006, 04:47 PM   #47
stephan330ci

My Ride: Its winter, FORD
Send a message via AIM to stephan330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ACS-3 View Post
I used Photoshop to take out the light poles and also adjusted the Levels. That's it.
The original picture is already good because I use spot metering to the car (the subject).
And also the parking lot wall really helped blocking the bright sunset light. If there was no wall, I definitely need to use flash to correctly expose the car, if not the car will underexposed (dark) compared to the bright background (getting shadows only because I was facing the sun).

Well then i am eager to learn how to use photoshop much more than i currently can, so which direction do i go to find the nearest photoshop teacher? ok so i actualy only want to know if there is a forum where people will answer questions for me, like a specific photoshop forum that you know about. maybe they can me into shape on this photo editing.

TIA
stephan330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #48
B8888KC

My Ride: Old fart E46 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ACS-3 View Post
Rebel xti doesn't have spot metering
B8888KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #49
B8888KC

Quote:
Tips from professional photographers.

Top 8 DON'T - As Advised By 'Speed' Magazine
-Don't shoot your car on grass or sand (You wouldn't believe how many times this came up over the article) leave it for the cows.
- Don't allow telegraph poles or trees to be in the background as it will look like they are sticking out of your cars roof.
- Don't leave windows half open.
- Don't shoot dark cars in the middle of the day.
- Don't have shadows cast under or over the car.
- Don't forget to wash your car, dirt really shows up in pictures.
- Don't just take one shot.

I know most of them a gimmies but you'd be surprised how many cars I see on here not following the most obvious ones.

Top 8 DOS - As Advised By 'Speed' Magazine
- Do shoot your car on concrete or asphalt; it looks natural
- Do shoot dark cars in soft ambient late-afternoon light. (Sunset always looks awesome)
- Do examine the paint all the paintwork for clean, simple reflections
- Do point the wheels AWAY from the camera (so everyone can see your wicked expensive rims)
- Do keep the background clean and simple (remember it's about your ride not the scenery)
- Do try to find a low angle that will make your car look phat.
- Do detail everything, such as windows, tires and inner guards.
- Do experiment and practice.

Other photo tips from professional photographers such as Mark Bean, Guy Bowden, Cristian Brunnelli or Tony Rabbitte.

- Shoot dark cars at sunset or sunrise, shoot bright cars in sunshine. Pearl, candy and metallic need sun and lots of it.
- Again NO grass, sand or trees growing out of the roof.
- Gaffer tape is a useful waxing tool on carpet if a vacuum cleaner is not at the ready.
- Black the tires, black the tires, black the tires.
- Check the off-camera objects and make sure your mates yellow R32 isn't reflecting in your beautiful paintwork. Ensure your shots are clean. Top photographers use the reflection of the landscape horizon to emphasize body lines.
- Hit the deck cars look great from a low angle, giving that mean outta-my-way stance. Beware of ants.
- Do try taking shots of your car on the move action shots always look great.
- Again make sure your car is immaculately clean with all those little extras not forgotten.
- When taking interior shots park the whole car in a shaded area.
- Study your subject first. Walk around the car and view it at different view points, to see which angle looks best.
- Don't be afraid to move your car around, this will make your collection more diverse.

more advance: flash photography on cars.

like studio work but doing it outside.
What kind of flash is that? Do you use the omni bounce thing? My built-in flash is basically useless because my lens is too long...
Old 11-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #50
space

-Don't shoot your car on grass

I can't belive how many photos I've seen on "cars on grass"

Just looks out of place...

I guess that "flash shot" was taken with studio flashes, and reflectors.

Good flashes are expensive!

Two good advices I got from a photographer:
1. Never use the flash indoors, ONLY outdoors.
2. ALWAYS use a tripod, NEVER freehand.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:44 PM   #51
B8888KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by space View Post
-Don't shoot your car on grass

I can't belive how many photos I've seen on "cars on grass"

Just looks out of place...

I guess that "flash shot" was taken with studio flashes, and reflectors.

Good flashes are expensive!

Two good advices I got from a photographer:
1. Never use the flash indoors, ONLY outdoors.
2. ALWAYS use a tripod, NEVER freehand.
Well, you certainly can use flash indoors... Someone taught me to tilt the flash toward the ceiling so the flash will bounce off the ceiling.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #52
rsalicrup

My Ride: 330i & Titan
Send a message via AIM to rsalicrup
Quote:
seen that before
Old 11-09-2006, 03:54 AM   #53
space

Quote:
Originally Posted by B8888KC View Post
Well, you certainly can use flash indoors... Someone taught me to tilt the flash toward the ceiling so the flash will bounce off the ceiling.
That helps, but most built-in flashes doesn't have this option.

Anyway the flash will kill a good mood in a picture.

Example: Your family in front of the fireplace an evening.
Flash on = everybody looks pale, and it looks like it's in the middle of the day.
Flash off = The real colors of how you see things in person appares in the picture.

I allways tries to set the ISO value higher, and use longer exposure times for indoor / dark scenes.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:11 AM   #54
B8888KC

Quote:
That helps, but most built-in flashes doesn't have this option.

Anyway the flash will kill a good mood in a picture.

Example: Your family in front of the fireplace an evening.
Flash on = everybody looks pale, and it looks like it's in the middle of the day.
Flash off = The real colors of how you see things in person appares in the picture.

I allways tries to set the ISO value higher, and use longer exposure times for indoor / dark scenes.
So do I, since my built in flash is useless lol. I need an external flash!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #55
JDMOTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by B8888KC View Post
What kind of flash is that? Do you use the omni bounce thing? My built-in flash is basically useless because my lens is too long...
those are studio strobes flash that im running. Its a tad bit more powerful then flash heads, lol.

Alright folk, people moving shots is one of the best things you can show, i mean thats what our cars are made more right. So lets get those wheels moving.

We have three types of motion.

1. is called the rig shot. (the hottest shots, most cover mags are taken with)

2. Rolling shot (car to car)

3. Panning shots (motorsport events)

all three create emotion and speed to your pictures.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #56
space

Nice ones!

Can you give some details on exposure time on these kind of shots?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #57
JDMOTO

Quote:
Nice ones!

Can you give some details on exposure time on these kind of shots?
sure. If you look at the info they are all single exposure shots.

1. rig shot was 13/1 sec (13 seconds)

2. was 1/80 sec.

3. i forget but its in the exif data. I think 1/50
Old 11-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #58
rsalicrup

My Ride: 330i & Titan
Send a message via AIM to rsalicrup
Quote:
those are studio strobes flash that im running. Its a tad bit more powerful then flash heads, lol.

Alright folk, people moving shots is one of the best things you can show, i mean thats what our cars are made more right. So lets get those wheels moving.

We have three types of motion.

1. is called the rig shot. (the hottest shots, most cover mags are taken with)
Who did you take this picture? and I don't mean camera setting, is this a car to car also?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:15 AM   #59
JDMOTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalicrup View Post
Who did you take this picture? and I don't mean camera setting, is this a car to car also?
nope not car to car. hence it was called a car rig motion shot. I dont think 13 sec car to car will make the object that sharp. lol
Old 11-09-2006, 10:41 AM   #60
fj0

My Ride: E30 M3 Wrstnr Edt.
Send a message via ICQ to fj0 Send a message via AIM to fj0 Send a message via MSN to fj0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalicrup View Post
Basically the camera is connected to the car with a rig and then you'll push the car in motion, car will most likely be off for less vibrations then because it will be like 13secs of exposure it will look like your going reaaaaaally fast. In the original the rig will be seen so you will have to remove it in post-processing.

[IMG]http://************/jyk32[/IMG]

You see I think a Ferrari is a scaledown version of... God! And a Porsche 911 is a jumped up VW Beetle.
- Jeremy Clarkson
fj0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steelgray_loves_weiner