E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2003, 11:03 PM   #1
cire330ci

My Ride: jb 330 now
griotsgarage!

How many of you do your own oils change? I was browsing around and happened to remember griotsgarage. What do you guys think about that oil/liquid extractor? Is it worth getting?

TIA
cire330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:04 PM   #2
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
I don't do my own oil changes cause I dont wanna deal with dumping the used oil...but from what I have heard and seen on the DIY's this is the tool to have...it's supposedly very easy and clean...
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:07 PM   #3
Daniel Choe

My Ride: e46
Send a message via AIM to Daniel Choe
I have the griots oil extracter. Works great! Just dump oil in to milk containers and drop them off at your local automotive store. I think they charge around $3. If you don't want to pay you can always leave it in front of pepboys or somthing after hours jk

Daniel Choe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:14 PM   #4
cire330ci

thanks! cool i think i am going to order one then. How hard is it to get to the filter? And i guess i have bmw reset the light then?

TIA
Old 02-02-2003, 11:15 PM   #5
CrazyBimmer
Manwhore

My Ride: 09 M3 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to CrazyBimmer
I think most Jiffy Lubes take your used oil for free. At least the one by my house does.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:21 PM   #6
Smell The Glove

My Ride: 325i
Auto Zone stores will take your used oil and recycle it for free!!!

Smell The Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:26 PM   #7
hamann99
X-Hamann99

My Ride: 323i->350Z->87 325is
Send a message via AIM to hamann99
I agree with Danny . The oil extractor is great and practically minimized the hassle of gettin oil all over the place. I bought mine used of course I live in WAshington where there HQ is located. I paid them a visit and saw it on the used sale rack bought it for 35 bucks out the door. Works great, recommend it.

Here's a test I will perform pretty soon to see how much oil is still left after my extraction. I'll extract all the oil I can with the griot's unit and thenI'll put my car on a lift and pull my drain plug to see how much I can drain from there I'll have results ina few weeks.

Oil filter isn't hard to find at all, it's in front of you basically when you pop your hood.

Any fool can drive in a straight line
hamann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:32 PM   #8
cire330ci

nice.. thanks for all the replies.

Hamann99 - please post reply back on your little experiment on what is left when pulling the plug.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2003, 12:36 AM   #9
DropTopBM
Banned

Location: Im from where the hammers rung, news cameras never come, throw the work in the can and scream "runnn"
My Ride: Hamann 3
Send a message via AIM to DropTopBM
I dont mean to sound like a jerkoff or anything, but if I were doing my own oil changes I would just dump the old oil into like a sewer or something???
DropTopBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:39 AM   #10
FRANCO
Masterdebator

My Ride: Your Mom
why don't you get a oil pan and drain the oil from the bottom like a real man..........j/p........it would cost less, and it's not that hard to do.

Mods:p46 6000K Headlights,M3 Steering Wheel,LED Taillights,M Footrest,Smoked Turn Signals,Smoked Sidemarkers,MTech II kit,CS Splitters,Gray Instrument Panel, Red Marker DIY,Ion Yellow Foglights/High Beams,Akebono Brake Pads, Smart Chrome/Leather Gear Selector,18" Staggered CSLs

Future Mods:,H&R Sport Springs,Tint,ECIS Intake,M Lip Spoiler,OEM Aluminum Pedal Set,OEM M3 Mirrors
FRANCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:43 AM   #11
AlexRDI330ci

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally posted by DropTopBM
I dont mean to sound like a jerkoff or anything, but if I were doing my own oil changes I would just dump the old oil into like a sewer or something???
Ummm...that would be bad. Very, very bad.

For your sake and your childrens sake, don't poison the earth we live on and in, just to save yourself 10 mins to drive to the proper place and drop it off for recycling.

I think of it as a great opportunity to drive my nice car with it's new oil in it. It always seems to drive better when you do something nice to it.

AlexRDI330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:05 AM   #12
JCSiu

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally posted by DropTopBM
Not a good idea. Eventually, one way or another, it all comes back in your drinking water. You're just kidding right?
JCSiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:30 AM   #13
Tim325

My Ride: '02 325i
They work great and you can carry the whole unit with the used oil in it to a place that sells oil and they will take the used oil for no fee. (at least around here they do). You can do the entire job in 15 minutes with no mess at all and no driveway oil spots.

Tim325 is offline   Reply With Quote