E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 07:27 PM   #21
Bill97Z
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: NJ
Posts: 229
My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
I used the stock socket and it fit perfect in the clears. AS my post above states I am leaving the corners alone with the stock clear bulbs......tehy do look amberish compared to my xenons.

So now I need a cost effective bulb for the rear clear turn signal (middle). I might try the oem ones for this.
Bill97Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #22
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,452
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Ok, update. I decide to get the OEM bulb from BMW. Yes it is an offset bulb pin and not the 1157 like USA are. I found this bulb the correct fit for my clear fronts. It's exactly the same but a blue/clear/amber color. When on during the daytime they look about the same as my stock ambers. They didn't have the greenish color I found the Silverstars to have. I took a picture during the day to show both as a comparison, but you can't see anything..drag. They do have the light blue tint that reflects in the reflector housing. I did not want that. If the Stealth or Xenergie bulbs don't have this as I suspect, then they get the nod. These cost me $11.04 each + tax from Crevier (delivered). So no $8-$10 shipping mark up like the shops charge. I have two pictures that came out. One of the bulb next to the OEM amber bulb. The other with the bulb in on the right and the other with the amber bulb in on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0634.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	204593   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0638.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	204594  
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFOLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA SPORT TUNE - AA PULLEYS - BILSTEIN PSS9s - AS 40% SSK
CF CSL RACE LIP - NAVI - BMW PERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC SS BRKLINES, TRANS MNTS, RTABs - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #23
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,452
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Just an update. These OEM "clear" bulbs give off the same amber color that the OEM clear lamps did. Day/night they look the same, nothing lost. There is not the greenish color of the bulbs like some amber-blue bulbs give off. As far as color given off in day/night these work great.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #24
JL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Socal
Posts: 109
My Ride: 2002 325i
I am in San Diego and I drive a facelifted sedan (model year 2002). My front right turning light just went out, and I just wanted to confirm that I can get replacement bulbs (that look clear but blink amber) from the dealership. I had the Platinumvisions, which burnt out after 2 or 3 years of use, and I do not want to pay too much money for bulbs that are likely to burn out again after a few years. I have not yet checked the alignment of the bulb, but I just wanted to get confirmation so that I can stop by the local dealership (BMW of San Diego) to get these bulbs. Thanks!

John
JL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #25
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,452
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I have not yet checked the alignment of the bulb, but I just wanted to get confirmation so that I can stop by the local dealership (BMW of San Diego) to get these bulbs. Thanks!
John
I gave the dealership the part number and they had to order them, as they didn't have them in stock. Your SD dealer might have them in stock, or they might need to order. Ordering doesn't cost anything more, only like 1-2 days to get in.
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFOLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA SPORT TUNE - AA PULLEYS - BILSTEIN PSS9s - AS 40% SSK
CF CSL RACE LIP - NAVI - BMW PERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC SS BRKLINES, TRANS MNTS, RTABs - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #26
sna77
OEM ///Member
 
sna77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 7,706
My Ride: BMW
Alex, im suprised you hadnt tried these... i had them, but dont like them on facelifted clears... you can see some amber through them still... plud, they dont make the ones for the sidemarkers...

heres a pic compariosn of both i did a while back:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356554

edit: I just noticed you replied to that thread.. the OEM bulbs are great for pre-facelift, because the corners are tinted, and these bulbs glow brighter
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:08 PM   #27
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,452
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Alex, im suprised you hadnt tried these... i had them, but dont like them on facelifted clears... you can see some amber through them still... plud, they dont make the ones for the sidemarkers...

heres a pic compariosn of both i did a while back:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356554

edit: I just noticed you replied to that thread.. the OEM bulbs are great for pre-facelift, because the corners are tinted, and these bulbs glow brighter
Hmm..yep I guess you had already informed me about them months ago. I should have listened to you then. You should have posted the cost..that always gets my attention. LOL.
I see the ones I have are #..228 and the ones you had are #..227. I have a feeling the 227s are the ones with 180' offset pins, while the 228s are 150' offset pins.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #28
sna77
OEM ///Member
 
sna77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 7,706
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Hmm..yep I guess you had already informed me about them months ago. I should have listened to you then. You should have posted the cost..that always gets my attention. LOL.
I see the ones I have are #..228 and the ones you had are #..227. I have a feeling the 227s are the ones with 180' offset pins, while the 228s are 150' offset pins.
yeah, the 227s are 150... i have the OEM clears... of course you can get the 180s and use the amber carriers in the clears too.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #29
JL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Socal
Posts: 109
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Ok, update. I decide to get the OEM bulb from BMW. Yes it is an offset bulb pin and not the 1157 like USA are. I found this bulb the correct fit for my clear fronts. It's exactly the same but a blue/clear/amber color. When on during the daytime they look about the same as my stock ambers. They didn't have the greenish color I found the Silverstars to have. I took a picture during the day to show both as a comparison, but you can't see anything..drag. They do have the light blue tint that reflects in the reflector housing. I did not want that. If the Stealth or Xenergie bulbs don't have this as I suspect, then they get the nod. These cost me $11.04 each + tax from Crevier (delivered). So no $8-$10 shipping mark up like the shops charge. I have two pictures that came out. One of the bulb next to the OEM amber bulb. The other with the bulb in on the right and the other with the amber bulb in on the left.
When you say 'offset', do you mean 150 (as opposed to 180)? I took out the dead bulb and the platinumvisions are 180 offset. Also, has anyone ever had the problem of a bulb getting stuck in the socket? When I removed the socket for the bulb which I thought was dead, the platinumvision was stuck inside the socket and no amount of pressure could get it off. Because I still had the original ambers, I simply took the socket from the original amber turning light and placed an amber bulb inside. The original socket (with the amber bulb) is 150 offset.
JL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:54 PM   #30
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,452
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
yeah, the 227s are 150... i have the OEM clears... of course you can get the 180s and use the amber carriers in the clears too.
Are you sure your 227s are 150' and not 180'? My 228s are 150 degree offset Pins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
When you say 'offset', do you mean 150 (as opposed to 180)? I took out the dead bulb and the platinumvisions are 180 offset. Also, has anyone ever had the problem of a bulb getting stuck in the socket? When I removed the socket for the bulb which I thought was dead, the platinumvision was stuck inside the socket and no amount of pressure could get it off. Because I still had the original ambers, I simply took the socket from the original amber turning light and placed an amber bulb inside. The original socket (with the amber bulb) is 150 offset.
The 228s Osram bulbs I got were 150 degree offset as opposed to the 180 degree.
If the bulb gets hot it can melt the bulb carrier. Several aftermarket bulbs have done this.
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFOLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA SPORT TUNE - AA PULLEYS - BILSTEIN PSS9s - AS 40% SSK
CF CSL RACE LIP - NAVI - BMW PERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC SS BRKLINES, TRANS MNTS, RTABs - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:29 PM   #31
sna77
OEM ///Member
 
sna77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 7,706
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Are you sure your 227s are 150' and not 180'? My 228s are 150 degree offset Pins.



The 228s Osram bulbs I got were 150 degree offset as opposed to the 180 degree.
If the bulb gets hot it can melt the bulb carrier. Several aftermarket bulbs have done this.
Im 100% positive the 227 bulbs are 150 degree offset. They fit the OEM clears.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #32
JL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Socal
Posts: 109
My Ride: 2002 325i
Let me see if I get this straight. P/N 63216934228 is a 150 offset which would work for my front lights, but P/N 63216934227 is 180 offset? Since I have Platinumvisions in my rear lights, I would rather buy all OEM bulbs so that i can avoid any more bulbs that will melt my bulb carrier.
JL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #33
sna77
OEM ///Member
 
sna77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 7,706
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Let me see if I get this straight. P/N 63216934228 is a 150 offset which would work for my front lights, but P/N 63216934227 is 180 offset? Since I have Platinumvisions in my rear lights, I would rather buy all OEM bulbs so that i can avoid any more bulbs that will melt my bulb carrier.
Just get the Bimmian solaris bulbs where you can order the set. They arent any more likely to melt than the OEM ones. Ive had an OEM bulb melt in a carrier too... If that happens, fork over another $10 for a new bulb carrier... no biggie...

Besides the Bimmian ones come with the side markers, and they dont make OEM ones of that
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #34
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,452
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Let me see if I get this straight. P/N 63216934228 is a 150 offset which would work for my front lights, but P/N 63216934227 is 180 offset? Since I have Platinumvisions in my rear lights, I would rather buy all OEM bulbs so that i can avoid any more bulbs that will melt my bulb carrier.
Time for me to backpeddle. I forgot that when I asked BMW to order, they said that part wasn't showing but giving a new part#. It only shows on the ETK when the "euro" part is checked, not when "usa" is only checked. So I see on my invoice the part number I have is 63.21.7.160.907. I was wrong. But it does have the offset pins as I described before. I just reconfirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Just get the Bimmian solaris bulbs where you can order the set. They arent any more likely to melt than the OEM ones.
Besides the Bimmian ones come with the side markers, and they dont make OEM ones of that
There you have it, from someone who has used both.
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFOLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA SPORT TUNE - AA PULLEYS - BILSTEIN PSS9s - AS 40% SSK
CF CSL RACE LIP - NAVI - BMW PERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC SS BRKLINES, TRANS MNTS, RTABs - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:20 PM   #35
sna77
OEM ///Member
 
sna77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 7,706
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
There you have it, from someone who has used both.


Plus, they look better.

Bimmian solaris Bulbs:


OEM silver bulbs:
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #36
Bill97Z
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: NJ
Posts: 229
My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Don't waste your money. I have stock clear bulbs in there and they burn a bit amber compared to the white xenons.......I have not had a problem yet.

See my pics on page one of this thread.
Bill97Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #37
kp.eric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 95
My Ride: 2004 BMW 760Li
Does anyone have pictures of the Solaris Invisibulbs Electrum (not blinking) at nighttime?
kp.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #38
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,452
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Question

bump.
Does BMW have a new "stealth" bulb out now? I could have sworn I was behind a stock later model X5 and it had a "stealth" bulb that didn't have the bluish tint to it like the earlier one I had.
I need to buy new dual filament bulbs for my front and want the best out.
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFOLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA SPORT TUNE - AA PULLEYS - BILSTEIN PSS9s - AS 40% SSK
CF CSL RACE LIP - NAVI - BMW PERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC SS BRKLINES, TRANS MNTS, RTABs - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #39
mitch79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 5
My Ride: '04 320i sport
Philips Silver Vision PY21W. Disappear behind the lens, no blue like you get with Osram Diadem bulbs. Nice bright amber/yellow when lit.
Personally I'm wary of the cheaper fully chromed bulbs being able to output proper brightness thought the chrome layer.
mitch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:26 AM   #40
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,452
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
bump

ok well i'm on the hunt for new stealth style bulbs for my front indicators.

does any company have the latest upgrade in these that i'm not aware of? i now have one burned out Stealth bulb in the set i had. and one burned out oem silver bulb in that set. (didn't happen in the same socket before someone thinks that.) so i need to buy a matching set of chrome look bulbs that shine amber.
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFOLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA SPORT TUNE - AA PULLEYS - BILSTEIN PSS9s - AS 40% SSK
CF CSL RACE LIP - NAVI - BMW PERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC SS BRKLINES, TRANS MNTS, RTABs - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use