E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #1281
tuckersmg

My Ride: 2005 m3
Greg, that is a honest answer to my question, that is all I wanted. The wheels are clearcoated SSR's and CSL rep's. I was more worried about the high temp baking the sealant onto the wheel if that makes any sense. I would be washing with water at home so I am not to concerned about scrathing the surfaces. Thanks again Greg
Tucker
tuckersmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:09 PM   #1282
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Glad to see my answer made sense, just wanted to make sure I understood the situation. If the wheel is going to get extremely hot it might make the sealant harder to remove. Maybe the best thing to do would be to test it on part or all of one wheel to make sure it works as we anticipate. Then apply it to all four wheels in the future assuming it works fine. Thanks for posting!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:12 PM   #1283
tuckersmg

My Ride: 2005 m3
Thanks for the quick answer. Look foward to my future order. We have a long winter ahead of use before track season starts again.
Tucker
tuckersmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #1284
silvergray

My Ride: 325i
Hey Greg,
I posted over at Autopia without much luck. My question is this: I have very minor swirling on my silvergray 325, and I'd like to buff them out with my PC. I will be sealing it with Zaino, but would what you recommend as far as a polish/pad combo? I don't want anything that is horribly agressive on the clear. Maybe ZPC with a polishing pad?

Let me know what you think, and I'll order it from you guys!

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #1285
derek80

My Ride: is optically clear
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray View Post
Hey Greg,
I posted over at Autopia without much luck. My question is this: I have very minor swirling on my silvergray 325, and I'd like to buff them out with my PC. I will be sealing it with Zaino, but would what you recommend as far as a polish/pad combo? I don't want anything that is horribly agressive on the clear. Maybe ZPC with a polishing pad?

Thanks!
stick with Zaino if you're going to top it off with Z2/Z5. ZPC will get rid of swirls with no problem. Zaino sealants are best when applied on bare paint, with nothing on it. Using other non-zaino products for polishing will lead to leftover of somekind, which you need to ged rid of in order to get maximum results from Z2/Z5.
Use it with polishing pad w/ speed 5. And then seal it with your sealant (multi coats if necessary), then top it off with Z8 for that extra pop.

Last edited by derek80; 11-29-2006 at 09:22 PM.
derek80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #1286
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Glad to hear you already have the PC thats the first step, that will help remove the swirls. Even though the swirls are very light you still might need a two step procedure to get the majority out. However we can certainly start with just a one step procedure and a polishing pad as you suggested. You can use the ZPC, this is a nice light cutting polish. I really like the Menzerna Final Polish II. I feel its easy to work with and you get good cutting power to reduce the swirls. They key to getting the swirls out is to move the buffer slow and keep the speed between 5 - 6. You can then use the Zaino to seal after or another sealant. Using a non-zaino polish will not prevent any bonding with a zaino sealant or any other sealant. Using a zaino polish or non-zaino polish will require the same removal of excess product.

With the polish I would use the white lake country polishing pad. This pad is not very aggressive but is strong enough to help the polish buff out swirls. If you apply a sealant after I really like to use the black lake country finishing pad. It evenly distributes the product over the clear coat, which makes removal nice and easy.

I hope this helped answer your question, let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray View Post
Hey Greg,

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2006, 02:59 PM   #1287
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
I have a quick question.

I was recently given 4 bottles of Professional 3M detailing supplies.
-Perfect-it II Rubbing Compound p/n: 05973
-Perfect-it III Finishing Glaze p/n: 05941
-Perfect-it III Rubbing Compound p/n: 05933
-Perfect-it III Machine Glaze p/n: 05937

Each one has very clear directions. My question is do I have to have a machine buffer to use these products. I do have a crappy little 10" random orbital, but it's not really a proper tool.

Can I use either of these by hand with similar results?

My car is a 96' Cosmos Black, with some moderate swirls. I have all the time in the world to detail the car. I have no problem putting in countless hours doing it by hand if it's possible.

If it's possible to do by hand, do you have any tips? Towel type, rubbing directions, etc.

Thanks!

Central California BMW Parts Swap
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526941747526167/
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:16 PM   #1288
Greg@DetailedImage.com

To polish effectively you need good constant pressure to break the polishes down and work them continiously in to the clear coat. Its very hard to do this consistently over an entire coat, let alone four coats. It can be done its just not very easy. If you do want to do the job by hand I highly recommend the Lake Country Hand Applicator Kit. It helps work in polishes better by giving you more aggressive foam surfaces and delicate foam pads for when you apply a wax or sealant.

I have to say for a four step polish I think you'll get much better results with the Porter Cable 7424 or a rotary buffer. The PC is great because its pretty easy and safe to use and it really helps when polishing. The PC also has different foam textures to optimize polishes and get better results. Let me know if you'd like more information on the PC 7424.

For more information about applying these products by hand or with a buffer I would read our How To pages. If you have any other questions, don't hesistate to post them or contact me.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 12-02-2006, 12:14 AM   #1289
derek80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs View Post
You can then use the Zaino to seal after or another sealant. Using a non-zaino polish will not prevent any bonding with a zaino sealant or any other sealant. Using a zaino polish or non-zaino polish will require the same removal of excess product.
Actually no.
First, ZPC is designed to work with Z2/Z5, meaning sealant can be applied directly after ZPC, with no additional step .
From what I know, Menzerna added oil in FPII to make the polishing job a bit easier. So when you're using Z2/Z5, which requires "clean" surface, leftovers from FPII will interfere with Z2/Z5 bonding. You need to get rid of the leftover by washing/alcohol (which is addtional step).
So no, it won't require same removal of excesss product.

Last edited by derek80; 12-02-2006 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #1290
picus

My Ride: e92 335i
Send a message via AIM to picus
Melo is right, ZPC is made such that you don't need to worry about removal as much before sealing with Zaino as you would with FPII, Opt Polish, 106FF etc. The only issue is FPII is *vastly* superior to ZPC in cut and finish, so in almost every case where you're actually using FPII/ZPC as a finishing polish (after compounding), FPII is going to be a better bet; just take the extra 10 minutes and alcohol/water wipedown.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #1291
DC5

My Ride: 330Ci
Aluminum polish for the lip of wheels...

What do you recommend?

I run the detail department at a high end car dealership and we use some of the products you mention with great success. But when it comes to polishing the lip of wheels we have been using some off the shelf Mothers mag aluminum polish that I bought forever ago. I'd appreciate any insight on a more up to date/higher end polish. (more or less for my Hartge wheels hehe)

Hartge / AC-S / ///M / UUC / Vorsteiner
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #1292
derek80

i use mothers billet polish and it works wonderfully, and also you can get it locally
Old 12-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #1293
Greg@DetailedImage.com

For regular cleanings I use the P21S Metal Polishing Polishing Soap. Its very quick and easy to use and does a great job of cutting through road grime and adding shine to the wheel. It also leaves a very fine layer of protection, nothing too significant but better than nothing (for strong whell protection try the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant). If you have some bad stains or heavy build ups on any metal surface I use the P21S Finish Restorer. Its very strong and it has restored many metal surfaces that I thought were too dirty and not fixable. Both are only $9.99 and work great in my experiences. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 12-05-2006, 07:55 AM   #1294
chem0

My Ride: Donkey
how do i get rid of bird droppings that have eaten into the clear coat?
chem0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:07 AM   #1295
Greg@DetailedImage.com

It depends on how far in to the clear coat the droppings have etched. If its completely through the clear coat there is no easy fix. If its only partially through the clear coat you might be able to polish it out. We typically recommend two polishes for best results. The first polish is a medium cutting polish does the majority of the heavy buffing that really helps eliminate the etching. This polish can leave a slight haze in the clear coat, which can be easily buffed out with the next step, which is the light cutting polish. This polish will make sure the clear coat is bright and vibrant again for maximum shine while further reducing the appearance of the etching. If you're buffing out the marks with a buffer I would recommend the Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II. If you're trying to do the job by hand I would use the Poorboy's World SSR2.5 and SSR1.0. If the marks is still there you can try to add another more aggressive polish but two steps is generally very effective in my experiences if the etching can be buffed out.

Please let us know if you have any questions about my recommendation or other detailing questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 12-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #1296
Dazed

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Dazed
I just ordered a complete detailing kit suited for my car from Greg. Great customer service and advice on what to get. Can't wait for it to get here to try everything out!
Dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:00 PM   #1297
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Thanks for the order Dazed, I dropped off the order myself at FedEx around 6:30 to make sure it went out today. Let me know if you have any questions about the products or how to best use them. You might want to read some of our How To section that takes you step by step through the detailing process.

Happy Detailing!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 12-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #1298
6strings

My Ride: 2000 328ci
hey. i just received a gift from a friend. Its a "Turtle Wax Holiday GIFT PACK" it comes with turtle wax ZIP WASH, F21 car polish, F21 super protectant, and an F21 Spary on Wheel cleaner and also 3 wax applicators.

im about to wash my car right now. my question is can i polish the car even if i skip the claybar process. my car is 7 years old and is filled with swirls and such and probably has not been detailed in years. would it do any damage to wash the car and then go straight to the polish??

also what are your suggestions and tips on applying this polish? can i use the wax applicators? i have that 20 pack of yellow MF towels from COSTCO are those safe to use to wipe off the polish??

thanx. =]
Old 12-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #1299
Greg@DetailedImage.com

You can apply a polish without using the clay bar after a wash. Its more safe to use the clay bar inbetween because you'll remove more contamination with the clay bar. This means there is less of a chance of a large piece of contamination becoming lodged in your applicator pad, which could be grinded in to the clear coat. To remove more of those swirls and not just cover them up you might need a more aggressive polish. Let me know if you'd more information on polishes that will help remove more imperfections and help restore that deep shine.

You can use those yellow foam applicators to apply the polish but be careful with the edges. Sometimes those pads have a thick and firm edge or seam to them which could add fine scratches to the clear coat. As for removing the product you can use those MF towels. Just check the edges and seams for any rough material. Some MF towels use nylon threading or other improper materials that may add scratches. I also rip off tags if there are any on the towels. To test the towels you can use the back of an old CD and wipe the towel across the CD. If it leaves fine scratches its not safe and if not then it should be safe on the clear coat.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 12-28-2006, 04:19 PM   #1300
6strings

My Ride: 2000 328ci
thanks a lot.

do you have any tips on how to apply the polish though? like work by 2 x 2 feet sections am i correct? should i apply it by swirling motions, up and down, left and right, or what? how much of the polish should i put and should it cover up the whole pad?

and finally should i polish the whole car THEN remove it with the MF towels or after each 2 x 2 section i should remove?

thank you. hopefully i can do this tomorrow if its still sunny out. i just washed the car an hour ago.