E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #1061
Makakio

My Ride: 03 325i sport
Yeah give us the situation.
Makakio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:32 PM   #1062
ThatOneGuy

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP MT6
Frobie & OHCMA3, is this true?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=652813
Old 12-18-2006, 03:31 AM   #1063
navid525

My Ride: 2001 325ci
I just got a ticket for going 98 in an 80 problem is I was only going 84...cop said i was going 98 and he was going to give me a ticket i told him that i was going 84 b/c i looked at my speed...the dumbass cop hit me with his gun and as soon as my radar went off i looked at my speed which was on cruise control and it was 84...this happened in west texas.. what options do i have since i honestly wasn't speeding
navid525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #1064
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I've been hearing those radio commercials too. I don't work for the CHP, but know that the CHP and my agency definately try to have more units out during the holidays. Not sure about the 2500 number used, but its not hard to find DUIs if you're looking for them (or if they are nice enough to crash themselves into a pole or something so you don't have to go hunting )

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #1065
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by navid525 View Post
I just got a ticket for going 98 in an 80 problem is I was only going 84...cop said i was going 98 and he was going to give me a ticket i told him that i was going 84 b/c i looked at my speed...the dumbass cop hit me with his gun and as soon as my radar went off i looked at my speed which was on cruise control and it was 84...this happened in west texas.. what options do i have since i honestly wasn't speeding

If you honestly weren't speeding, then fight it. Now, if you were going 4 miles over the speed limit, and admit to that in court, it doesn't matter how fast the cop said you were going as you just admitted to the violation of exceeding the maximum speed limit on a highway (not sure how the speed related laws in Texas are written, but on a CA freeway, one mile per hour over the posted speed is a violation). Also, are you sure you weren't speeding? Speeders are not hard for us to find, so its very, very unlikely that a cop would stop you for speeding if you really weren't since there are so many actual speeders out there...

Old 12-18-2006, 10:37 AM   #1066
ThatOneGuy

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP MT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
I've been hearing those radio commercials too. I don't work for the CHP, but know that the CHP and my agency definately try to have more units out during the holidays. Not sure about the 2500 number used, but its not hard to find DUIs if you're looking for them (or if they are nice enough to crash themselves into a pole or something so you don't have to go hunting )
The #1 reason I likes cops; sense of humor.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:41 PM   #1067
DRK KNIGHT

My Ride: M6/M3/C4/CLK550
Send a message via AIM to DRK KNIGHT
Quote:
How is your driving record otherwise? Without knowing the situation, its hard for me to say. Reckless is actually a pretty tough cite to prove as you have to articulate that you were a serious danger on the road that was effecting other drivers...
My driving record is 2 fix it tickets, and one red light. I got pulled over for driving 92 in a 55, but it was more like 85, light traffic, I switched one lane, and I didnít put my blinker, and apparently I tailgated someone but the cop was about 1000 feet behind me. Btw from where I entered the freeway to where I exited nowhere did it say it was 55. I thought it was 65 because itís a very wide freeway.
DRK KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:58 AM   #1068
Matt7723

My Ride: 323i
How do you deal with teenage drivers driving their friends when they have had their license for less than a year? Also, what if you pull them over during their curfew?

Thanks!
Matt7723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:17 AM   #1069
DRK KNIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt7723 View Post
How do you deal with teenage drivers driving their friends when they have had their license for less than a year? Also, what if you pull them over during their curfew?

Thanks!
That's happened to me. If its past curfew they'll make you sit on the curb. Call your parents and all your friends parents. Make them come pick you up, and take your car home. Judge will fine you about 300.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #1070
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BE View Post
My driving record is 2 fix it tickets, and one red light. I got pulled over for driving 92 in a 55, but it was more like 85, light traffic, I switched one lane, and I didnít put my blinker, and apparently I tailgated someone but the cop was about 1000 feet behind me. Btw from where I entered the freeway to where I exited nowhere did it say it was 55. I thought it was 65 because itís a very wide freeway.

Well, whether it was 55 or 65, you admit you were exceeding the speed limit. Based on the information you put above, if it is all accurate and the cop doesn't have a completely different story, there would be no way to articulate reckless driving based on speed and an unsafe lane change. For someone to be reckless, there needs to be other cars swerving to avoid you or something of that nature. I can't imagine the judge would keep this as a reckless if the above it true.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:38 AM   #1071
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt7723 View Post

Thanks!
I don't mess with provisional license status issues or curfew unless the kid is a punk. If everyone is being cool, I don't cite for that stuff...

Old 12-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #1072
DRK KNIGHT

Quote:
Well, whether it was 55 or 65, you admit you were exceeding the speed limit. Based on the information you put above, if it is all accurate and the cop doesn't have a completely different story, there would be no way to articulate reckless driving based on speed and an unsafe lane change. For someone to be reckless, there needs to be other cars swerving to avoid you or something of that nature. I can't imagine the judge would keep this as a reckless if the above it true.
Ya so honestly that's what really happened. The guy didn't like me from the start.

I was wondering how do I obtain a police report because I'll be representing myself.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #1073
OHCM3

Quote:
Ya so honestly that's what really happened. The guy didn't like me from the start.

I was wondering how do I obtain a police report because I'll be representing myself.
You're going to want to get one from the courts. Here in LA county, we (law enforcement) usually only release them to victims, insurance companies, etc., not the suspect.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #1074
DRK KNIGHT

Quote:
You're going to want to get one from the courts. Here in LA county, we (law enforcement) usually only release them to victims, insurance companies, etc., not the suspect.
Isn't that public records?
Old 12-19-2006, 05:39 PM   #1075
OHCM3

Quote:
Isn't that public records?
I don't do much with the records at the station (there is civilian staff for that), but my understanding is that we are not required to release the info. The reason behind that is because a report that I take will include the full information of every vicitim, witness, suspect, etc. If you were a victim, would you want a suspect to get all of your contact information because they were able to get a copy of the report?? I think the courts may sanitize the report and give suspects a copy, but not sure...

Old 12-20-2006, 08:26 PM   #1076
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
OHCM3, I got a ticket from the CHP in Santa Barbara for tints on my front windows (correctable) can I get it signed off at the DeSoto CHP office and pay the $10 there?? Or do I need to go to Santa Barbara CHP? And also, what if I can't find my ticket, what do I do then? My Due Date is January 7.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #1077
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
By the way I seen the same cop who ticketed me the next day at a McDonald's in Santa Barbara ordering an egg mc muffin. He recognised me, and it was an awkward situation (we were inside ordering) hahaha
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:49 PM   #1078
bimmerboy36

My Ride: 02 Sk+ 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
OHCM3, I got a ticket from the CHP in Santa Barbara for tints on my front windows (correctable) can I get it signed off at the DeSoto CHP office and pay the $10 there?? Or do I need to go to Santa Barbara CHP? And also, what if I can't find my ticket, what do I do then? My Due Date is January 7.
u can get it signed off there but i think you're going to have to send in your ten bucks

C.S.U.N. Fanatics Sign Up!!!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...51#post4894951
bimmerboy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:40 AM   #1079
OHCM3

Quote:
Desoto CHP is fine, also any Sheriffs station or court house can do it too. Call the court the citation was assigned to, and ask for an extension and a copy of the citation, they should be able to do both for you. They may require that you go there in person to get a copy of the citation...

Old 12-21-2006, 12:42 AM   #1080
OHCM3

Quote:
By the way I seen the same cop who ticketed me the next day at a McDonald's in Santa Barbara ordering an egg mc muffin. He recognised me, and it was an awkward situation (we were inside ordering) hahaha
Guessing he was out of uniform, eh?? I live a short distance away from where I work, but you always have that possibility...its hard to lead the double life. Sometimes its definitely a big safety concern...that's why most of us carry off duty

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa