E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2002, 08:52 AM   #1
showboat

My Ride: 2002 M3
do any of you get this low squeeking sound from then steering wheel???

i notice when i drive slow and makes turns slowly the sterring wheel makes this really low squeeking sound...anyone has experience with this and know how to fix it.....the dealer try to fix it twice by spaying dry graphit in there but it doesnt do a thing ....please help
the sound is almost like the sterring wheel is ungrease or something
showboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:23 AM   #2
low
OG e46fanatics lurker!

My Ride: is outside
Re: do any of you get this low squeeking sound from then steering wheel???

Quote:
Originally posted by showboat
i notice when i drive slow and makes turns slowly the sterring wheel makes this really low squeeking sound...anyone has experience with this and know how to fix it.....the dealer try to fix it twice by spaying dry graphit in there but it doesnt do a thing ....please help
the sound is almost like the sterring wheel is ungrease or something
LOL! yeah , i get the same thing. Drove me nuts for a few days trying to figure where it was coming from. however, ive never taken it in to get it checked. im going to assume its ok, but let me know if you find anything further as well....

Pretty girls in bikinis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang1
no one ask you to click on it cry baby :cry: now I can see why Dougsun doesn't like you either.... sigh....
- I've been victimized with BOARD DRAMA!!! :lmao:
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 09:52 AM   #3
Anthony
Bimmerless

My Ride: '09 FX35
I had that noise too. I took it back....and seems to have gone away. I guess whatever it is they sprayed your steering column with, they didnt spray enough.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 08:18 PM   #4
Mr.Stream

My Ride: '07 BMW Z4C 3,0SI
Send a message via AIM to Mr.Stream Send a message via MSN to Mr.Stream
I got it too. Dunno what it is.

Hellrot '07 BMW Z4 Coupe 3,0SI
Sparkling Graphite '06 BMW 318i Touring
Mr.Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 12:02 AM   #5
kbboy

My Ride: 325 CI
I get that noise when making left turns...only left turns but the dealer blamed it on

my car being lowered. It bugs
kbboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 12:11 AM   #6
Anthony
Bimmerless

My Ride: '09 FX35
Re: I get that noise when making left turns...only left turns but the dealer blamed it on

Quote:
Originally posted by kbboy
my car being lowered. It bugs
How the flock can the dealer relate a steering noise to your suspension? Damn, that is a good one. Ask him if it could be the oil and sugar you put in your gas tank.....or the CD's you have in your CD player. I'd keek taking it back until they fixed it, that is BS.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 12:16 AM   #7
soheilm3
bored.

My Ride: definitly not an m3
Send a message via AIM to soheilm3
actually mine had a problem, which could have been similar to what u guys are saying. i thought it was the steerin wheel the hole time, cause it seemed to be comin from there, hell the service tech thought it was to. couldnt figure it out for the life of us... turned out though it was the mpg gauge. dunno if its the same problem, but thats the problem i had. whenever it was activated from the "off" posisiton, it would make the sound.

u could only hear when goin slowly cause A. its the only time u really pay attention and B. it corresponds to when the guage is activated which is at a low speed.

again, dunno if this helps or not, but its worth a shot. jus check out when u turn on ur car, and gas it a bit, if the sound comes right when the mpg needle moves.

--soheil

Taken
Smart
Beautiful

(pick 2 of the three only)
soheilm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 01:32 AM   #8
Salsero

My Ride: 330i SP Manual
They can find and fix it!

I had the exact same problem. I really had to stay ion the dealer but finally got a mechanic who was able to locate the noise. It is in the steering column. It needs to be greased not graphite.

Be persistent!!!!!!
Salsero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 01:35 AM   #9
KromeX
all stock

My Ride: stock 330i
When my ex purchased her 325Ci, it had the noise right off the showroom floor. We were told to go back to the dealership on the weekend to get it lubed. Once we adjusted/extended the steering wheel column, the noise went away but they lubed it anyway. Try adjusting the steering wheel and see if it goes away.
KromeX is offline   Reply With Quote