E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #1101
smoke

My Ride: 2002, 325Ci
i got a ticket for no proof of insurance, well i only had a expired insurance card in the car, same information as my new one though, how can i get this signed off, just bring the updated card with me to a police station?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #1102
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBear View Post
Thanks OHCM3, the Chromiums are Angel Eyes.
I've never heard of them being an issue as long as they are not blue or purple and are not used as a substitute for headlights during hours of darkness.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #1103
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
i got a ticket for no proof of insurance, well i only had a expired insurance card in the car, same information as my new one though, how can i get this signed off, just bring the updated card with me to a police station?
Not sure how it is in S.F., but down here you have to visit a Sheriff's station, CHP, or the court to have it signed off. Just need to bring a valid card.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:31 PM   #1104
smoke

My Ride: 2002, 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Not sure how it is in S.F., but down here you have to visit a Sheriff's station, CHP, or the court to have it signed off. Just need to bring a valid card.
ah i see, does it cost much if i get it signed off?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:24 PM   #1105
ValleydudeM3

My Ride: E46 M3 SC Stage3+
subscribed!!!
ValleydudeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #1106
D0n Raja

My Ride: 330ci 04
Most of the time when there are 2 or 3 cars going around 80++ will a cop randomly stop one of them? or in general does he just let the 'train' go by...usually when I'm speeding around 80ish I'll just follow a car infront of me and there ends up being a few of us speeding
D0n Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:43 AM   #1107
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0n Raja View Post
Most of the time when there are 2 or 3 cars going around 80++ will a cop randomly stop one of them? or in general does he just let the 'train' go by...usually when I'm speeding around 80ish I'll just follow a car infront of me and there ends up being a few of us speeding
I guess it depends on the stretch of road, conditions, how "in control" the speeding drivers seem, and whether or not the cop has something else on his mind or something else to do. I don't forsee a lot of CHP guys letting strings of cars going 80mph get away with it. Typically if there are a string of speeders, you end up getting the last car jsut because it is the most practical, but sometimes getting the first car is the best as you mark "lead vehicle" on the citation which shows the judge that they weren't "going with the flow of traffic" and that should slow down the rest of the group. On the other hand, I've stopped two or more cars at once and cited them all.

Its just too tough of a situational question to have one hypothetical answer...

Old 12-31-2006, 08:26 AM   #1108
bassik40

My Ride: 01 325i
Send a message via AIM to bassik40
Hey ohcm3, im curious as to the issues with tinted tail lights and front turn signals. The CHP book says tails must "not be to dim", but it seems kinda a matter of opinion rather than statment. Also, white front blinkers are legal in cali, but it states not the side marker lights. Is that something you guys would look for at all, or more of a overlook 'who cares" type of thing? thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #1109
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassik40 View Post
Hey ohcm3, im curious as to the issues with tinted tail lights and front turn signals. The CHP book says tails must "not be to dim", but it seems kinda a matter of opinion rather than statment. Also, white front blinkers are legal in cali, but it states not the side marker lights. Is that something you guys would look for at all, or more of a overlook 'who cares" type of thing? thanks.
Both issues are good probable cause for making a stop, but beyond that I probably wouldn't be citing unless the person was an ass, or if the tint on the taillights is so dark that it makes the lights difficult to see...

Old 01-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #1110
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmackin300 View Post
Having a Radar detector should not be an automatic ticket...unfair. If it's not illegal it shouldn't make a difference. Good thread.
It doesn't make for an automatic ticket. It just means that I'm not likely going to give a warning. My justification is that if you have a detector you have gotten away with ALOT of speeding without a ticket. If I so happen to catch you in the act then I'm going to drop the hammer...

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #1111
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by navid525 View Post
I just got a ticket for going 98 in an 80 problem is I was only going 84...cop said i was going 98 and he was going to give me a ticket i told him that i was going 84 b/c i looked at my speed...the dumbass cop hit me with his gun and as soon as my radar went off i looked at my speed which was on cruise control and it was 84...this happened in west texas.. what options do i have since i honestly wasn't speeding
The only problem is that you were speeding. I know that you weren't speeding much, but you were still speeding non-the-less. I agree that it doesn't seem fair but I don't know what you can do. I guess try a trial by declaration, but other than that, I guess you're pretty much up a creek.

Thank you Sam
Old 01-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #1112
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BE View Post
My driving record is 2 fix it tickets, and one red light. I got pulled over for driving 92 in a 55, but it was more like 85, light traffic, I switched one lane, and I didnít put my blinker, and apparently I tailgated someone but the cop was about 1000 feet behind me. Btw from where I entered the freeway to where I exited nowhere did it say it was 55. I thought it was 65 because itís a very wide freeway.
Reckless driving is kinda hard to prove. But here's the thing. You were driving really, really fast. Now by itself that isn't exactly reckless, however, coupled with two other moving violations it can be considered reckless. CHP policy says that if there are three moving violations we should cite for reckless rather than a three point ticket. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thank you Sam
Old 01-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #1113
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt7723 View Post
How do you deal with teenage drivers driving their friends when they have had their license for less than a year? Also, what if you pull them over during their curfew?

Thanks!
Usually just ignore their age. Unless, as OHC said, they're being stupid.

Thank you Sam
Old 01-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #1114
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
OHCM3, I got a ticket from the CHP in Santa Barbara for tints on my front windows (correctable) can I get it signed off at the DeSoto CHP office and pay the $10 there?? Or do I need to go to Santa Barbara CHP? And also, what if I can't find my ticket, what do I do then? My Due Date is January 7.
You can have any law enforcement sign it off, then just send the ticket in along with a payment to the Santa Barbara court. Just a heads up, I would photocopy the ticket prior to sending it in. That way you have proof that you fixed it if the court messes something up and you get hit with a failure to appear.

Thank you Sam
Old 01-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #1115
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller2all View Post
Just got pulled over yesterday and got a fix it ticket, my question is do i have to fix it or can i just pay a fine without fixing it?
As far as I know you have to fix it no matter what. It used to be that if you were cited as non-correctable you didn't have to fix it, but I believe things have changed. Call the court, they're the ones who can give you an exact answer.

Thank you Sam
Old 01-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #1116
frobie15

Quote:
hey, ive heard that sometimes cops...instead using their radar they will set up a trap. Have one cop posting say at stevensons on 880 and another at say thorton on 880. They see how long it takes for one car to get from car cop A to car cop B and if its faster than what it should be driving at 65 they ticket you? I'd guess they would do this when its hard to radar someone...say in hard curvey roads i.e. the 17.
The situation you described is actually defined in the Vehicle Code as being a speed trap. Which is illegal. Chances are that the officer on the first bridge is using a LIDAR and then telling the next officer via radio who to pull over.

Quote:
Also, since you guys use radars just curious...could you get a radar scrambler...i know it sounds funny..but is that possible (not that I would do that considering that no one near be could listen to the radio)
A RADAR scrambler or jammer is illegal. But either one would be interesting to play with.

Thank you Sam
Old 01-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #1117
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
OHCM3 or Frobie, my friend just asked me if it's illegal to have a windshield mounted GPS unit in their car while driving in California? All her friends are telling her its illegal. You know.. one of those common GPS units you get from Best Buy and mount on the windshield. Thanks!!
I guess that technically it could be illegal and a "visual obstruction". But a cop would have to be quite the, err, not so nice a guy to write that ticket

My brother (who is a Fresno County Deputy) has one that he uses in his patrol car

Thank you Sam
Old 01-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #1118
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBear View Post
You guys have probably answered this already, but is white(7000k) fog lights legal? Or does it have to be yellow?

Also is Predator Chromiums illegal? Because I thought I read a Thread/Post about someguy saying that he got a ticket for his lights.

-Thanks
White fogs are perfectly legal. They can be yellow too, but I can't remember off hand why you would want them that color

The Angel Eyes are weird. They could be considered illegal if they are a color other than white, or they could be considered "modified lighting" which would make them illegal. However, if white, they fall under allowable lighting. Confusing, I know, but welcome to the joys of laws!!

Thank you Sam
Old 01-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #1119
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
How old was your insurance card? We (law enforcement) are supposed to accept anything that has an insurance company name and policy number on it. Examples being:

An insurance card
Insurance information written on the registration card
A napking with some crap made up and written down.

Sounds kinda lame, but that's the way it's supposed to work.

Thank you Sam
Old 01-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #1120
frobie15

Quote:
I usually will go for the front car, the Pace Car, so to speak. That is, of course, if I don't try and stop them all. There have been quite a few times where I've let groups (five or more) go by the other direction at 85-90 just because I don't want to deal with it. But there are other times that I turn on the whole group. Like OHC said, it depends on the totallity of the circumstance (that a big phrase!!).

Thank you Sam

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa