E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 11-16-2006, 09:37 AM   #101
elbee

My Ride: 2001 325I Sedan
I didn't re-apply any grease.
elbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #102
MACKbeats

My Ride: E46 Sedan
I'm so glad I found this thread...my passenger side window seems like its showing signs of going out, so I emailed a guy on Craigslist to see what it would cost to fix ( I'm not really handy myself ) and this is what he said:

Quote:
The problem with your window is the window regulator. Its a 2hr
job
to replace the window regulator..Part is about $250,your looking around
$330.

Whew ! Thanks Elbee...you just saved me about $250 !
MACKbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #103
elbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACKbeats View Post
I'm so glad I found this thread...my passenger side window seems like its showing signs of going out, so I emailed a guy on Craigslist to see what it would cost to fix ( I'm not really handy myself ) and this is what he said:

Whew ! Thanks Elbee...you just saved me about $250 !
The part shouldn't be that high. I would ask him why the part cost is so much when you are seeing prices in the $70-$100 range for a new regulator. Also keep in mind that the zip tie method might not work. In that case you will need to get a new one. If you need a new one I would supply it yourself to this guy to use and pay him for his labor.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:10 PM   #104
kyle e46

My Ride: 325xi
how do you remove stripped bolts? the bolts that hold the regulator to the window is hard to remove, any ideas?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:57 AM   #105
elbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle e46 View Post
how do you remove stripped bolts? the bolts that hold the regulator to the window is hard to remove, any ideas?
I recently learned that 12 point sockets are sometimes good at removing stripped bolts. You might want to try a few 12 point sockets close to the same size of the bolt that needs to be removed.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:11 AM   #106
eweis

My Ride: 1999 328i
Well, I installed a new window regulator last week and it's working nicely. I was the from a few posts back that tried the zip tie fix but this didn't solve my particular problem. But interestingly, even after inspecting the removed regulator, I couldn't see what was causing the god-awful screeching noise.

I also wondered about whether grease should be applied to the new regulator. I went ahead and sprayed the guides and pulleys with white lithium grease. Seemed appropriate at the time.

Thanks all for the DIY and related tips. As others have stated, the toughest part of the repair is removing the vapor barrier. I had luck with using a slim blade and just cutting through the goo.
eweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #107
elbee

Quote:
Or I know Sears sells special sockets that are made to remove stripped bolts. I don't know if they make one for a 1/4" drive size, but if they do you can try that as well.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:54 PM   #108
vert

My Ride: MINI Cooper Hatch
Send a message via AIM to vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbee View Post
Or I know Sears sells special sockets that are made to remove stripped bolts. I don't know if they make one for a 1/4" drive size, but if they do you can try that as well.
They also sell GatorGrip socket that adjusts to any size - maybe give that a shot as long as it fits into the opening.
vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #109
Jamie328

My Ride: 99 328i
This looks like quite a bit of work. I think I might have to go to the dealer and pay $$$$
Jamie328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:02 PM   #110
lhuy2733

My Ride: 99 E46 318i
Hey guys, my rear one died yesturday, and i have attempted to pull it apart after reading this DIY, does anyone know how the cables whould be arranged on the pulley?
lhuy2733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:15 AM   #111
eweis

My Ride: 1999 328i
I would suggest that you inspect any pictures people have posted. It should give you an idea as to how the cables run. Having said that, if your cables are off the tracks, so to speak, putting them back in line probably wouldn't keep the problem fixed for long. You may be better off saving yourself some headaches and buying a new regulator.
eweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:59 PM   #112
elbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuy2733 View Post
Hey guys, my rear one died yesturday, and i have attempted to pull it apart after reading this DIY, does anyone know how the cables whould be arranged on the pulley?
There shouldn't be any slack in your cables. If there is, you need a new one.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:12 AM   #113
M3_GTR

My Ride: hates driveways
lol.. my dad has changed 3 of these!! all work at BMW, cost him a fortune.. i hear its common with BMW's?

FOR SALE!
M3_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #114
kdeyoung

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
I buy new bolts with every regulator I replace...I would recommend this. The first two I changed had the bolts stripped before I even tried to take them out thanks to a careless stealership employee as he knew he would not have to take them out again...some other ppor soul would I had to drill out the stripped bolts which was acually quite easy...
kdeyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #115
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Great thread... thanks to everybody for their input...Read it in it's entirety.... but I guess no one mentioned/had my same problem.

Driver Window stopped working. took the door apart, took the window motor off (<-- works fine) but, the window is stuck in the up position, which means I cant get to the bolts that hold the window to the regulator.

My guess is that the cable is stuck at some point but where??? Anyone have a guess?

Alternativly, any idea how I can get the window down a bit?

Thanks in advance.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #116
Speeder

Oh, let me add that the most interesting thing in this thread is the transformation that "elbee" went through... From saying "I never replaced a light bulb" to talking about removing stripped bolts, lithium grease and bad mechanics...

Never thought that owning a BMW would have that sort of effect on somebody!!!
Old 01-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #117
elbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
Oh, let me add that the most interesting thing in this thread is the transformation that "elbee" went through... From saying "I never replaced a light bulb" to talking about removing stripped bolts, lithium grease and bad mechanics...

Never thought that owning a BMW would have that sort of effect on somebody!!!

Speeder, no one including my family can get over the scope of the transformation. My dad can't stop talking about it. And it all started with these poorly made regulators. I was facing an $800 repair and I knew if two windows broke that easily then it was only a matter of time before more would break. I had to learn how to do this. Thank goodness for the internet and sites like this. After sucessfully changing two regulators, I felt confident enough to try other repairs. My dad's 1998 528i is approaching 100K and I wanted to make sure that everything was in tip top shape for him (he is 80 years old and I didn't want him to be stranded with a busted thermostat or waterpump or a cracked radiator). So I followed an excellent write up by cn90 on bimmerfest.com. By following his writeup I changed the waterpump, thermostat, thermostat housing, hoses, belts, pulleys, tensioners, fan, fan clutch, expansion tank, and radiator. I also changed his power steering hoses and did a flush of the fluids. On my husband's car I have changed the oil, coolant, belts, battery and spark plugs. Since he is approaching 90K I am going to do a similar cooling system overhaul on his car. I also need to do a break flush on his car (I just bought the supplies). On my car (a 1994 volvo wagon) I have changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, expansion tank, expansion tank hose, installed a car stereo and changed a fuel relay. I also have to overhaul the cooling system. I am also going to start changing the breaks on all of our cars. I am just looking for a good deal on a floor jack.

My new found DIY attitude has spilled over into other parts of my life too. I have started to fix things around the house. I recently installed a new kitchen faucet after our old one exploded. Our dryer stopped working so I did some research and replaced the timer - now it works fine. My next project is to replace a leaky pvc pipe that is attached to one of our sprinkler valves. I also need to install ethernet cable in one of the rooms in our house. But, I want to do a professional job and run the wire through the wall.

The funny thing is I still don't know how to change a lightbulb on the car because I haven't had to do it yet. But, when it burns out I will figure it out.

Last edited by elbee; 01-16-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:01 PM   #118
Speeder

OK, now you're bragging!!!!

Just kidding you elbee... You're right about the internet and mainly this place right here... If it wasn't for some of the people on here (including you) who ooze the confidence that I may lack... I would have been in deep debt due to some minor fix-ups/repairs. All it takes is for me to read one of the DIYs and that gets me motivated...

It doesn't always make sense, though. Here's what I mean. I had the same problem that everybody who posted in this thread had. The infamous window regulator. I followed your instructions and those of others to a tee as I took the regulator out. When I checked it, both tabs were still in place and looked in decent shape. Still, I used the zip ties in case they ever break in the future. Put it all back together... no dice... took it apart again but I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Reassembled it once again and it worked fine.

Of course in this case, I don't have to know why just as long as I know it works again.

Anyhow... Good luck on all your plans. Looks like you'll be busy for a while to come. First and foremost, be safe.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #119
broke30

My Ride: e30, e46
Just finished up this job about an hour ago. It took longer than it should have as I tried the zip tie method but it still failed. Upon closer inspection of the bracket, it was too broken for the zip ties to work. So, I had to get a new regulator from the dealer.

Also, I had spent an hour more than I should've because the one-touch window up function didn't work during testing. I realized after an hour of researching that the one-touch-up only works when the door is closed.
broke30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #120
SkyX

My Ride: 99 323i
Very nice! It just happen to me after I had washed my car! I'm so mad!
Guess I will have to try this! Very Nice Post!
SkyX is offline   Reply With Quote