E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #41
2001bmw330

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330i
other then the dealer or autozone is there anyone who makes a battery for the E46 i dont wanta get one at autozone but dont really wanta get one at the dealer either
2001bmw330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #42
FalconGuy

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to FalconGuy
why not Autozone? Its a battery for gods sake...

It works, or it doesnt, no better, no worse

Its not rocket science, its rated much higher than the battery the dealer would sell you and has a better warranty and less BS if you did have a problem

You dont see tons of threads about Autozone batteries dying......
FalconGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #43
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
got the Duralast 49-DL battery
fits fine in my 2001 325i
thanks for the tip guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #44
LakeHaus

My Ride: '01 330cic
Duralast 94R Fits Perfect in CiC

My OEM battery died two days ago. I checked out this thread to see what you guys did for replacement since I'm not keen on my dealership for parts/service. Went to Autozone and asked for the 49-DL, but it was physically longer than OEM. Didn't want to dic-around with making tray adjustments, and there was no hole for the vent hose. So I asked the Autozone guy to enter "'01 330ci" in his system (didn't think to mention cic), and came up with the 94R-DLG. Fits perfect, has the vent hole, and the car cranked right up in 22 degree weahter. Thanks Fanatics!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #45
Dev
PSHOPWERKS

My Ride: Yellow Porsche GT2
Maye someone needs to make a list of all the batteries people have used in their car so that anyone needing to replace it can pick whichever one they want.

I'll start (feel free to add/correct):

1. BMW OEM
2. Autozone Duralast 49-DL
3. Autozone 94R-DLG (from user LakeHaus)

Current Hate Level: 10 | Previous Hate Level: 9
The hatin' level on the E46Fanatics.com board.
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:01 AM   #46
Koti

My Ride: 2000 323i
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this wasn't brought up and I just need to ask: When you disconnect and replace the battery will you need to reset anything? i.e. Will the airbag light come on and need to be reset by the dealer?

I suspect not otherwise someone would have mentioned it, but I need to ask.

And I just checked Autozone's website. It appears they no longer carry Duralast batteries. Is there an Optima equivalent? Or does Costco carry Duralast batteries?

Thanks Fanatics! You all rock!

Last edited by Koti; 02-12-2007 at 06:12 AM.
Koti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 AM   #47
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koti View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this wasn't brought up and I just need to ask: When you disconnect and replace the battery will you need to reset anything? i.e. Will the airbag light come on and need to be reset by the dealer?

I suspect not otherwise someone would have mentioned it, but I need to ask.

And I just checked Autozone's website. It appears they no longer carry Duralast batteries. Is there an Optima equivalent? Or does Costco carry Duralast batteries?

Thanks Fanatics! You all rock!
No need to reset or worry about anything. Just don't leave the key in the "ON" position when you hook it back up (could cause problems in some cars, not sure about E46, since I have never done it).

COSTCO sells optima.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #48
Koti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242 View Post
No need to reset or worry about anything. Just don't leave the key in the "ON" position when you hook it back up (could cause problems in some cars, not sure about E46, since I have never done it).

COSTCO sells optima.
Thanks for the info! That's a load off my shoulders...and wallet. I've checked online and couldn't find what optima battery works for the e46. Would you know where I could look? I checked optima's website and it said there was no equivalent.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 AM   #49
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koti View Post
Thanks for the info! That's a load off my shoulders...and wallet. I've checked online and couldn't find what optima battery works for the e46. Would you know where I could look? I checked optima's website and it said there was no equivalent.
Just measure the battery hole (you can use the stock battery as a reference), note the posts position (+, -), then go to optima's website and get the biggest battery that can fit in that hole.

If you have a big stereo system, get the yellow top, if not, just get the red top.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:38 AM   #50
Koti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242 View Post
Just measure the battery hole (you can use the stock battery as a reference), note the posts position (+, -), then go to optima's website and get the biggest battery that can fit in that hole.

If you have a big stereo system, get the yellow top, if not, just get the red top.
Thanks ca1242! Perfect! Will do.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:38 AM   #51
Koti

Battery replacement:

Dealer Quote: $253.00
Autozone & 15 minutes of my time: $90.00

E46Fanatics RULE!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 AM   #52
SrCsTc@MyBimmer.net
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc@MyBimmer.net Send a message via Yahoo to SrCsTc@MyBimmer.net
I have the Duralast 49-DL also. Perfect fit.

Rich
SrCsTc@MyBimmer.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #53
Blackxi

My Ride: '03 330xi,'02 330cic
Thought I'd chime in too. The wife's '03 330xi needed a jump this morning in 10 deg weather. So with the car being about 4.5 yrs old already, I went out and bought a Duralast Grp 49 battery at Autozone just to be on the safe side (she's already traumatized from a 2-flat tire day last year, the poor thing!).

Fits like a glove (almost better than OEM it looks like), better CCA rating than OEM, and easy on the wallet ($90). Good deal all around!

jason
PS- I never realized how long the old battery took to crank before I installed the new one. Seems practically instantaneous now.
Blackxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #54
Smoothpnoy

My Ride: Jet Blk. '03 330Xi
Blackxi... I have the same car.... I found some connections from an old buddy of mine and put the group 31 battery ylw top from Optima. it's a commercial grade battery and fits nicely. it's nice and long as the OEM and it's ylw top. AWESOME!
Smoothpnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:15 AM   #55
gsbmw

Here is a thread with MUCH discussion of various batteries (consensus seem to be the Duralast 49-DL).

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...duralast+49-DL

And this DIY has many pictures to walk anyone through replacing the OEM battery with the Duralast 49-DL.

http://reviews.paonet.org/20070221-D...-DL/index.html

I just installed the 49-DL last week and it fits fine (with a spacer under the battery brace). Newbies, don't forget to attach the vent tube-batteries produce hydrogen gas during driving/charging (VERY explosive).
gsbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #56
Archvile

My Ride: 99BMW 323i
In most of the discussions ehre I saw that mostly 49-DL or the 94R batteries were mentioned. I drive a 99, 323 IS and my battery died on me yesterday. I went to Autozone for replacement and after putting in my car details they gave me the Duralast 48-DL. So, should I use the 48 ? Just a little confused, since, like I said, everyone here seems to mention 49-DL .. Any suggestion ??
- Thanks
Archvile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #57
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
The biggest difference between the listed batteries and a run-of-the-mill battery is the venting. There are many batteries that will physically fit but only a few have the venting moulded into the top of the casing to vent to the tube. Regular batteries just have venting out the edges of the cap, so no way to send the gases down a tube to the outside of the car. This is VERY important.

I just did my battery last week. We don't have Autozone in Canada so it has been difficult to find the venting battery, so I ended up getting an Exide spiral wound battery (same design as the Optima). These batteries are completely sealed so they do not need external venting. They are more pricey but have great warranties and lots of power, great for ICE equipped cars.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:30 PM   #58
sfv_rider

My Ride: '03 330i
Most of the posters who have been insistant on the vent tube have mentoined the buildup of hydrogen gas prompting the need for the vent tube.

A secondary concern is the minute particles of acid that are carried out with the gases. These corrosive gases are bad news - damaging the adjacent materiels and building up as a corrosive white goo on the negative terminal.

You really need the tube - don't short-change yourself when changing the battery.
sfv_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #59
mtvector

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
2002 330Ci battery replacement experience

Let me start off by saying that even minor do-it-yourself car projects for me end up in a disaster so when I say this one was easy, it must be really easy.

My notes:
Battery - Advanced Auto Parts 94R2. Perfect fit. No mods to battery well required. $118 (after returning old battery and receiving $10 credit)

Hardest part was removing plastic trunk tray that is over battery. Pull out the plastic plug clip that is up and to the left of the battery on the side of the trunk. That gives the gray carpet trunk liner a bit more wiggle room so the black plastic tray can be worked out from underneath it.

Note that the metal bracket in the battery well is much longer than the OEM battery. There is a little white plastic block towards the rear of the car that keeps the OEM (and then the replacement battery) from sliding front to back. Just make sure you put the battery in place so that the white plastic block is behind it.

Take the negative terminal off first

The Advanced Auto Parts battery appears to have vent holes on either side. I swapped the little black plastic plug from one side of the Advance battery to the other so the vent could be attached on the same side as it was on the OEM battery.

That's pretty much it. Oh, and you should check your spare tire pressure since you already have the trunk cover out.

He who dies with the most toys...
mtvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:13 AM   #60
oc330cic

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Heads up: The 49-DL didn't fit in my my 2002 330 convertible. It was 3/8" too long. Maybe the battery compartment is smaller on convertibles, but this might apply to all models. The AutoZone clerk looked up my car, and there wasn't a convertible listing, just coupes. They listed 94R-DLG as the battery to use for 2002 330 coupes, and it did fit well when I tried it.
oc330cic is offline   Reply With Quote