E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 135 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #61
markz330

My Ride: 330 Ci M sport
Nice info...

thanx!
markz330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #62
steven107

My Ride: 2004 m3 coupe
nice write up, but wouldn't it be easier to buy an m3 instead of fully mod an 330? sounds like a lot of time, labor, and cost. for about 20k more, you can save time and get the bmw factory fit and finish without drilling or cutting and get the S54.
steven107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #63
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven107 View Post
nice write up, but wouldn't it be easier to buy an m3 instead of fully mod an 330? sounds like a lot of time, labor, and cost. for about 20k more, you can save time and get the bmw factory fit and finish without drilling or cutting and get the S54.
Most people get these parts secondhand and at low cost from friends who have replaced them on their M3... others just prefer the look of the M3 over all of the aftermarket alternatives. I made this thread to essentially save on labor costs - so people know what to expect when doing these conversions.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #64
so simple

My Ride: non bmw
i have a 328ci, so if i get oem m3 front fenders and bumper, itll fit on perfectly? or do i also need hood?
so simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #65
hi its me alec

Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by so simple View Post
i have a 328ci, so if i get oem m3 front fenders and bumper, itll fit on perfectly? or do i also need hood?
You'll probably need to tweak the fenders a little bit inward, but yeah basically. There will be no welding or cutting or anything required in order to fit them, probably just about 10mins of tweaking (per side) to get the fenders and hood to line up perfect.. everything is bolt on (assuming you have all the proper m3 bumper bracketry and stuff).

It might look kinda strange though without the m3 hood.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:16 AM   #66
happybrowndog

My Ride: 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
You'll probably need to tweak the fenders a little bit inward, but yeah basically. There will be no welding or cutting or anything required in order to fit them, probably just about 10mins of tweaking (per side) to get the fenders and hood to line up perfect.. everything is bolt on (assuming you have all the proper m3 bumper bracketry and stuff).

It might look kinda strange though without the m3 hood.

Are you sure you don't need the hood? I called the dealer and they said you need the hood.... however, the parts person was getting this info by looking at the computer only and this information was not being conveyed by a mechanic who had done an actual conversion.

Do you have some direct or indirect experience with this? That M3 hood is very expensive.

2001 BMW 330Ci conv.
happybrowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #67
hi its me alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybrowndog View Post
Are you sure you don't need the hood? I called the dealer and they said you need the hood.... however, the parts person was getting this info by looking at the computer only and this information was not being conveyed by a mechanic who had done an actual conversion.

Do you have some direct or indirect experience with this? That M3 hood is very expensive.
You do not need the hood.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #68
semantik

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Why not just save up and buy an M3, who wants their 330 to look like an m3, then pull up next to an m3 and get smoked... i never undertood this
semantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:47 PM   #69
hi its me alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by semantik View Post
Why not just save up and buy an M3, who wants their 330 to look like an m3, then pull up next to an m3 and get smoked... i never undertood this
because most people get parts secondhand off of their friends for dirt cheap... others can't afford the insurance for an M3 (like me). there are plenty of reasons why people do this, i'm sure only about 1% of the people who have M3 parts on their car have them to look like an M3. for example, IMO the M3 side skirts and mirrors are lightyears ahead of their aftermarket alternatives.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #70
AMv8(1day)

My Ride: 280Z & POS Integra
Just a quick check, is there a difference between the 330ci coupes and the 325's between '01-'03 and how big of a tire can you get on the fronts and backs?
Thanks for any help anyone can give me!
AMv8(1day) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #71
E46-99

My Ride: 99V 323Ci E46
love this thread, but m3 prices are dropping so im gonna keep saving,

99' E46 323ci -ci meaning costs infinate!
E46-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:02 AM   #72
hi its me alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMv8(1day) View Post
Just a quick check, is there a difference between the 330ci coupes and the 325's between '01-'03 and how big of a tire can you get on the fronts and backs?
Thanks for any help anyone can give me!
There are no significant differences besides the engine (duh.) The biggest tires you can get on the car without major fender modifications is probably 245f 255r, but it really all depends on the width and offset of the wheel. With the right offset, fender modification, and a good set of tires, you can fit 275's in the rear. If you're dropped, the camber increases slightly and it might even be possible to go 285/30/19 in the rear (although nobody has done it yet.)

Honestly though, there are way too many factors that go into it... it depends 100% on your car, wheels, drop, fender mods, brand of tires, and more. For example, on my car with my 19's, I rub every so often with 235's in the rear.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #73
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
Quote:
There are no significant differences besides the engine (duh.) The biggest tires you can get on the car without major fender modifications is probably 245f 255r, but it really all depends on the width and offset of the wheel. With the right offset, fender modification, and a good set of tires, you can fit 275's in the rear. If you're dropped, the camber increases slightly and it might even be possible to go 285/30/19 in the rear (although nobody has done it yet.)

Honestly though, there are way too many factors that go into it... it depends 100% on your car, wheels, drop, fender mods, brand of tires, and more. For example, on my car with my 19's, I rub every so often with 235's in the rear.
Brakes are smaller too.

And are you rubbing on the inside edge or the outside (fender) edge of the tire. If you are rubbing the fender then its wheel offset, if the chasis, you might try a 3 mm spacer. 235's should absolutely not rub.
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #74
hi its me alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler@UniqueDesign View Post
Brakes are smaller too.

And are you rubbing on the inside edge or the outside (fender) edge of the tire. If you are rubbing the fender then its wheel offset, if the chasis, you might try a 3 mm spacer. 235's should absolutely not rub.
I'm rubbing on the outside... it's only when I'm turning super hard at 30mph on a bumpy road or something. It's not really an issue, it's only happened about 5 times in the past year.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #75
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
---

Side Skirts:

Difficulty: 2/10
DIY: Yes.

Direct bolt on. No modifications needed. On sedans and tourings, the skirts will be a couple millimeters too long. No biggie though...

Safe Alternatives:
- Hammann GTR
- Hammann Competition
- OEM Mtech2
- AC-Schnitzer
- OEM Aero Kit (a.k.a. 'Mtech1')

---
Nice thread, I just wanted to chime in. Isn't also longer on coupes?

I've read that you can slide them back by elongating the mounting holes in the skirt.

Ron
Old 02-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #76
hi its me alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Nice thread, I just wanted to chime in. Isn't also longer on coupes?

I've read that you can slide them back by elongating the mounting holes in the skirt.

Ron
no, coupe/M3 and sedan side skirts are different by about 1cm... M3 and coupe have the same side skirt length.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #77
rohde88

Quote:
no, coupe/M3 and sedan side skirts are different by about 1cm... M3 and coupe have the same side skirt length.
Ok, but you can extend the mounting holes and have a flush mounting right(for sedan)?

Ron
Old 02-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #78
hi its me alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Ok, but you can extend the mounting holes and have a flush mounting right(for sedan)?

Ron
right

or you could just chop 1cm off one of the ends.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #79
rohde88

Quote:
right

or you could just chop 1cm off one of the ends.
this looks bad

i was under the impression that the only way fix this was to elongate the mounting holes. Also, I believe this isssue is on a coupe.

http://home.earthlink.net/~djburrows...330ci/id1.html

Ron
Old 02-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #80
omegaoracle
BMW Sauber F1 Team

My Ride: 323ci
Informative, will be useful for years to come, and good reference for diy.
well done
omegaoracle is offline   Reply With Quote