E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #101
Kooser
Deutschland Über Alles
 
Kooser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 282
My Ride: '06 330CiC ZHP-Dinan
Just read this thread - I see so many amazing cars on this site all the time - but the right photography can put your whip in orbit!
__________________
Porsche 955 Cayenne Twin Turbo "Modded"

BMW 330Ci Vert ZHP - Dinan "Modded"

http://web.mac.com/kooser/iWeb/Koose...y/Welcome.html
Kooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #102
hi its me alec
Registered User
 
hi its me alec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 15,136
My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Make sure the background is interesting!! Don't just go outside and take pics in your driveway, find somewhere that's truly unique and special. A picture with a bunch of suburban condos is much less pleasing to the eye than a picture with a fancy bridge and downtown.

Also, learn to work with color in photoshop. Some simple adjustments can transform your pictures from 'typical' to 'epic'.

__________________
WTB: Complete e46 M3 rear end

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:18 PM   #103
E92M
Registered User
 
E92M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ATL / Boulder / SLC
Posts: 3,373
My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooser View Post
Just read this thread - I see so many amazing cars on this site all the time - but the right photography can put your whip in orbit!
It is unreal how true this comment is.

I have to admit, I still can't figure out what ISO changes in a picture, I have my ISO level set at something... and never change it. Clarification would be awesome.

Oh, and ACS-3, your pictures and car are/is sick! ,
-Chris
__________________
E92M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #104
JDMOTO
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodridge, IL
Posts: 418
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Send a message via AIM to JDMOTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K5 325i View Post
It is unreal how true this comment is.

I have to admit, I still can't figure out what ISO changes in a picture, I have my ISO level set at something... and never change it. Clarification would be awesome.

Oh, and ACS-3, your pictures and car are/is sick! ,
-Chris
iso is the speed of the film. this means how fast the light get absorbed into the sensor. If your in a dark place using a higher iso speed will help you run a higher shutter speed to keep the camera from shaking. Higher iso leads to having noise in the picture.
JDMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #105
willyd
Registered User
 
willyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: san francisky, ca
Posts: 1,528
My Ride: 99' 323i - sold :(
nice advice
i'm just getting into slr photography, and stuff like this is a big help!
now i just have to buy more lenses
__________________

UUC Stage 2 Suspension :: 18 x 8.5 CSL Reps :: Pirelli PZero Nero :: Clears :: Titanium Enhanced DDE :: Need More $$
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:33 AM   #106
fckupayme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 2,988
My Ride: Razor Scooter on 20s
ATTN: Photography gurus!

Please give me some feedback on my last photoshoot. I really haven't shot very much in the past. I know some of the mistakes I made but I was freezing out there so I know a few shots weren't as crispy as they should have been. Next time I'll get it better.

I want some real honest comments, its the only way I can really get better. I would really appreciate it. E46 M3 Convertible & E36 M3 Coupe At-Night-Shoot 2/10/07... go to Page 2, had some issues with the 1st hosting
__________________

fckupayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:08 AM   #107
Shinobi
Addicted to Autocross
 
Shinobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,327
My Ride: 2001 Jet Black 330Ci
You asked for it...honest feedback:
  • Exposure:
    First couple of pics are so underexposed, I can barely make out any details of the cars. The most visible item are the ceiling lights and I doubt that was your intended subject. The other pics are also underexposed and while the cars are more visible, its still difficult to see details because they are black cars. My suggestions would be: A) Increase the exposure B) Find another location with better lighting or C) Bring additional lighting
  • Focus:
    If a shot is blurry and this effect is either not intended or does not add to the shot, I would just toss it.
  • Background Distractions:
    One of my biggest gripes. Two things I see in alot of photos posted here are cars that are parked across parking lines , and "photoshoots" in locations where the background elements are distracting and/or add nothing to the shot (in which case you should zoom in and focus on the car instead).

    I will commend you for moving the cars a bit and trying different angles. However, unless you're using the parking lines to provide some kind of perspective or to use them artistically, I find them EXTREMELY distracting when the car is parked across them. It stands out like a sore thumb because A) you don't normally park like that and B) since they are white lines on a black surface, they bring your attention to them when they shouldn't. There is an ugly pipe in the back of some of the photos too. I would've taken shots away from that myself. If the background adds nothing to the shot OR takes alot from it, then DON'T zoom out. Get close and focus on the car instead.

Take a good look at the photos by Wynn and other professionals, you will almost always find that they take ALOT of time and effort to find a good photo location and/or utilize background elements to ADD to the shot and not detract from it. Here are some examples:

This image has several things going for it: The contrast of colors in the floor vs. ceiling, the contrast in directions, the perspective added by the ceiling tiles, and the dramatic lighting .


In this image, the car is only ~15% of the shot, but the location brings your focus straight to it...it does this with a dark color against a light background, the perspective of the columns and how the horizontal grooves almost point to it, and coincidental (if not edited) how the ceiling structure's colors match the car .


And of course, some more fine examples from the Master . These recent shots by Wynn of Samir's e90 are absolutely perfect examples of exposure for a dark car, awesome location, depth of field and using background elements to enhance the shot and not detract from it:


__________________



Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #108
fckupayme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 2,988
My Ride: Razor Scooter on 20s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
You asked for it...honest feedback:
  • Exposure:
    First couple of pics are so underexposed, I can barely make out any details of the cars. The most visible item are the ceiling lights and I doubt that was your intended subject. The other pics are also underexposed and while the cars are more visible, its still difficult to see details because they are black cars. My suggestions would be: A) Increase the exposure B) Find another location with better lighting or C) Bring additional lighting
  • Focus:
    If a shot is blurry and this effect is either not intended or does not add to the shot, I would just toss it.
  • Background Distractions:
    One of my biggest gripes. Two things I see in alot of photos posted here are cars that are parked across parking lines , and "photoshoots" in locations where the background elements are distracting and/or add nothing to the shot (in which case you should zoom in and focus on the car instead).

    I will commend you for moving the cars a bit and trying different angles. However, unless you're using the parking lines to provide some kind of perspective or to use them artistically, I find them EXTREMELY distracting when the car is parked across them. It stands out like a sore thumb because A) you don't normally park like that and B) since they are white lines on a black surface, they bring your attention to them when they shouldn't. There is an ugly pipe in the back of some of the photos too. I would've taken shots away from that myself. If the background adds nothing to the shot OR takes alot from it, then DON'T zoom out. Get close and focus on the car instead.

Take a good look at the photos by Wynn and other professionals, you will almost always find that they take ALOT of time and effort to find a good photo location and/or utilize background elements to ADD to the shot and not detract from it. Here are some examples:

This image has several things going for it: The contrast of colors in the floor vs. ceiling, the contrast in directions, the perspective added by the ceiling tiles, and the dramatic lighting .

In this image, the car is only ~15% of the shot, but the location brings your focus straight to it...it does this with a dark color against a light background, the perspective of the columns and how the horizontal grooves almost point to it, and coincidental (if not edited) how the ceiling structure's colors match the car .

And of course, some more fine examples from the Master . These recent shots by Wynn of Samir's e90 are absolutely perfect examples of exposure for a dark car, awesome location, depth of field and using background elements to enhance the shot and not detract from it:
THANK YOU This is exactly what I was looking for or else I don't know what to work on. I appreciate all your tips, you are absolutely right about every comment. I definitely get what you mean.

The first ones were completely underexposed I know, I really need to work on that. The location was the only real place I could take pics at the time and since I had met up with my buddy with the E36 I said what the hell.

I'm definitely gonna try to find some better places. I want to invest in some outside lighting but only when I learn to shoot properly so maybe that will come later down the road.

I played around with the location of the cars for a while and I couldn't find a good position for the car without crossing the lines. It was almost as if I couldn't place the car correctly, I've rarely had that problem but this time I definitely did. Crossing the lines seemed to draw the eyes at the time but I know it was distracting, I'll stay away next time.

Next time I have some free time I'm gonna play a little bit more with my camera and try some new settings. I feel a little locked in sometimes even though there are so many options. *EDIT: Oh yeah I have a Nikon D70, lookiing to get some more lenses once I get a little more handle too* I gotta take my laptop with me too because sometimes the pics look good on the camera screen and then you process and it looks like utter crap.

Thanks a lot for the honest comments, its the best way for me to get better and know what to look for.
- Lee
__________________


Last edited by fckupayme; 02-17-2007 at 11:56 AM.
fckupayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #109
TurkeyRap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 33
My Ride: 2007 CLK 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
You can do either or..

Here are two examples of mine..

Firstly, standing still, following my car..
Side,

More from the front,


Now in another car..



Moving in another car is a lot easier, unless you are far from the car. But still, as seen above, still accomplishable.
how do you get the car clear and the wheels and to be blurred in those pictures? Do you edit it in photoshop?
TurkeyRap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #110
dumesday4u
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 93
My Ride: 09 JGC
Send a message via AIM to dumesday4u
sick thread nice pics thx
dumesday4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #111
Demoniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Aachen - Germany
Posts: 242
My Ride: Mercedes C180 T
Send a message via ICQ to Demoniac Send a message via MSN to Demoniac Send a message via Skype™ to Demoniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
Make sure the background is interesting!! Don't just go outside and take pics in your driveway, find somewhere that's truly unique and special. A picture with a bunch of suburban condos is much less pleasing to the eye than a picture with a fancy bridge and downtown.

Also, learn to work with color in photoshop. Some simple adjustments can transform your pictures from 'typical' to 'epic'.

Nice photoshoped, the picture looks great.
__________________
Demoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:33 AM   #112
deafboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Blaine, WA
Posts: 26,609
My Ride: 2000 323Ci
I want nice weather
__________________
-Cole aka bigtall*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #113
PsynceFiction
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 612
My Ride: 2005 BMW E87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
Alec, how did you do this? High Dynamic Range?
PsynceFiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #114
Big D Cro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Croatia
Posts: 122
My Ride: E34 525i M50
Here are my pics, I would like to hear your comments:




Big D Cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:59 AM   #115
brediv12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UCSB/Bay Area
Posts: 19,551
My Ride: Pista/e46
Great tips. I need to reread this when I get my new camera this summer.
__________________
- Lane

EUROPROJEKTZ - NorCal Chapter


brediv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #116
TiAg2247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: YYZ / ORD
Posts: 2,302
My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
I was just messing about with the new dSLR I picked up.

I know this isn't an automotive shot, but can some of you experts give me some feedback on the composure of the shot, anything at all?

This was a totally random shot - I don't know what the purpose was, if any lol. Good ol' gramps in the backdrop!

__________________


Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS

Daily: 335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
Cobb STG1+, FMIC, H&R Sport, BMW Perf Style 313


Past:
'04 E55 AMG
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:47 AM   #117
KingRichard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 920
My Ride: Work In Progress
Well.. I have nubie question hopefully all the master in this forum can help..

Own 350D and desperately searching to get a new lens.

My question is which lens should I get for shooting a car?
What kind of filter should I get with the new lens?

Again still trying to catch up the learning curve..
__________________

Next Project wont be BMW
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #118
RonnieRenaldi
MPRESIV
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Denver Metro
Posts: 3,965
My Ride: Dinan Supercharged M
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRichard View Post
Well.. I have nubie question hopefully all the master in this forum can help..

Own 350D and desperately searching to get a new lens.

My question is which lens should I get for shooting a car?
What kind of filter should I get with the new lens?

Again still trying to catch up the learning curve..
For still shots, get the lowest f-number (fixed throughout the zoom range) lens you can get, like the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L lens. A prime lens would be nice too, like Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens to get maximum bokeh effect.

A circular polarizer filter is a must!
RonnieRenaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 AM   #119
Victor98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 32
My Ride: 325Ci 06 Converitble
WOW AWESOME THREAD MANNNN GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!
I WOULD LOVE TO LEARN HOW TO DO THIS !!
I have paintshop pro
Victor98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #120
gTkidrokin330
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 3,442
My Ride: Bemdub
i did it, i bought a Canon EOS rebel XTi yesterday. wonderful world of photography here i come lol
gTkidrokin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
steelgray_loves_weiner

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use