E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
jdog0411

My Ride: 2004 AW 325ci
Staggered vs. Non-Staggered?

What are the advantages of a staggered setup as opposed to equal sizes all around? Is it just for looks, or are there other advantages? I see most people here are utilzing a staggered setup. Thanks.
jdog0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:01 AM   #2
e46brat
i <3 my e46

My Ride: 2001 330ci
With the staggered setup, it's just mainly for looks. With equal sizes all around, you have the advantage of rotating the wheels/tires.

Hamann/Euro-Spec/AA/Tein/Work Meister
e46brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
BMW puts a staggered setup on the cars stock for certain handling characteristics. They put smaller width front tires on so the car will understeer instead of oversteer. Basically the front tires will slide before the back tires if you enter a turn too fast.

Recovering from understeer is much easier for the average driver (hit the brakes), where as oversteer recovery requires precise throttle control and counter-steering.

Autocrossers or racecar drivers prefer a balanced setup so they can handle the car faster and with more control.

I plan on using a staggered setup just since I like the way it handles now (255 rear tires and 225 front tires)

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
rovert

My Ride: Zaps Horse Poo!!
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
I'm just wondering would a positive handling characteristic for a staggered setup be that the vehicle is less likely to lose traction while accerlating in a corner because now the back has a bit more traction to add accelerating as well as cornering to the traction circle?

Same would be for trail-braking in a corner, since the back has more traction you can brake a bit harder in a corner before losing the rear end compared to non-staggered setup.

I believe we are taught that the neutral handling characteristic of non-staggered wheel/tires is mostly when the vehicle is neither accelerating nor decelerating in a corner.

Last edited by rovert; 02-19-2007 at 11:27 PM.
rovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
jdog0411

My Ride: 2004 AW 325ci
thanks guys....I'm still not sure what I should go with. I don't drive my car that hard, and being able to rotate the tires would be nice.

But the wider rubber on the back sure sounds cool too.
jdog0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
BMW puts a staggered setup on the cars stock for certain handling characteristics. They put smaller width front tires on so the car will understeer instead of oversteer. Basically the front tires will slide before the back tires if you enter a turn too fast.

Recovering from understeer is much easier for the average driver (hit the brakes), where as oversteer recovery requires precise throttle control and counter-steering.

Autocrossers or racecar drivers prefer a balanced setup so they can handle the car faster and with more control.

I plan on using a staggered setup just since I like the way it handles now (255 rear tires and 225 front tires)
Great explanation.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert View Post
I'm just wondering would a positive handling characteristic for a staggered setup be that the vehicle is less likely to lose traction while accerlating in a corner because now the back has a bit more traction to add accelerating as well as cornering to the traction circle?

Same would be for trail-braking in a corner, since the back has more traction you can brake a bit harder in a corner before losing the rear end compared to non-staggered setup.

I believe we are taught that the neutral handling characteristic of non-staggered wheel/tires is mostly when the vehicle is neither accelerating nor decelerating in a corner.
Front also has increased grip assuming you're going wider at all four corners.

BMWs are setup to understeer, with a non-staggered but overall wider setup you will get a more neutral balance w/ more grip than before.

You will have more grip in the back, but you will also have more grip in the front.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote