E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #101
PTinVT

My Ride: 07 328xi, 02 325Cic
See sticky thread #2 at the top of this general forum

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=426625

"THE OFFICIAL: How to fit OEM M3 Parts on a Non-M Thread.. "

I wouldn't attempt it, but I'm not particularly adventurous. my 2c.

07 SG (Space Gray) 328xi coupe, 6-speed, premium/sport/cold/leather - daily/winter driver
02 AW 325Cic 5-speed, premium/leather, removable hardtop - summer cruiser: 18" CSL reps, JL amp/sub/door components, Reinhold remote top control
71 Buick Riviera - Land Yacht
PTinVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #102
Sir-DeltA

My Ride: 330Ci
Yes...

Already have read it before i made this thread dude

I am seeking more info how to fit it... Step to step DYI info etc... Photos

Thanks
Sir-DeltA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #103
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
Anyone know how much work is involved to make an M3 limited slip differential in a E46 330?
a lot. whole rear carrier, diff, etc
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #104
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTinVT View Post
See sticky thread #2 at the top of this general forum
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=426625
"THE OFFICIAL: How to fit OEM M3 Parts on a Non-M Thread.. "
I wouldn't attempt it, but I'm not particularly adventurous. my 2c.
That thread is useless for DIY installs. It only gives a quick general overview what might fit. People have been answering questions with a link to that thread lately which does nothing to answer in any detail the question people are asking.
It's been done, but not really a DIY, cutting the spare tire well and fitting the M3 muffler is something you probably don't want to do. One of the members in NY with a silver coupe did it, but seems expensive. Euro-Spec is coming out with a replica rear M3 bumper.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #105
LeftCoastBias

My Ride: alpine white hotness
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
The hood fits OK without any modifications. The crack is just a bit tight towards the windshield and then there's about a 5mm gap towards the headlights. All you have to do is put the hood on and then make minor adjustments to the fenders if you want a 100% fit.
how are those minor adjustments done?

LeftCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #106
4ngie

My Ride: Chrissspyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastBias View Post
zomghi2lcb

4ngie likes this.
4ngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #107
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
by putting little washers or brackets or something between the fender and body to push the fenders out a few mm.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #108
Luigi6459

My Ride: 2003 325i
will a coupe bumper fit a sedan without major modification cuz I found a deal on a painted one
Old 02-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #109
hi its me alec

Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi6459 View Post
will a coupe bumper fit a sedan without major modification cuz I found a deal on a painted one
Yes.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #110
hi its me alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-DeltA View Post
Already have read it before i made this thread dude

I am seeking more info how to fit it... Step to step DYI info etc... Photos

Thanks
There is no DIY for it. It either requires heavy body work or the sides have to be squished in, which stretches/warps the bumper and looks like shit. As of right now, there are no DIY's for the M3 rear bumper or Muffler installs.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #111
Luigi6459

My Ride: 2003 325i
Can DIY still be done, or would going to a shop be better
Old 02-23-2007, 09:39 PM   #112
LeftCoastBias

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ngie View Post
zomghi2lcb

Quote:
by putting little washers or brackets or something between the fender and body to push the fenders out a few mm.
i talked to a guy at a body shop today that said nothing had to be done

we'll see tomorrow how much of "nothing" has to be done.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #113
hi its me alec

Quote:
i talked to a guy at a body shop today that said nothing had to be done

we'll see tomorrow how much of "nothing" has to be done.
haha

I mean, yeah the hood will fit fine and open and close and whatnot... but there will be some fairly substantial gaps that I know I couldn't live with. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #114
LeftCoastBias

Quote:
haha

I mean, yeah the hood will fit fine and open and close and whatnot... but there will be some fairly substantial gaps that I know I couldn't live with. Let us know how it turns out.
turns out pretty damn horrible, actually.

i was at a VERY well known body shop in los angeles almost all day today. they are pretty much the premier shop for beverly hills bmw and mercedes body work.

they spent all afternoon trying to make mike's hood fit on my car, no matter how much they pulled my fenders out to try to get it to fit, it just wouldn't.

i had plenty of room up front, but the closer it got to the windsheild, there just wasn't enough room.

in order to get it to fit, they said they'd need an entire day and basically to take apart the entire front end to slide the hood in properly.

it sucked. no hood for me.

the only hope (for me) is that mike has had SO much custom body work done, that his hood has been matched to fit his custom fenders and other parts up front... which would make it hard, to nearly impossible, to fit on my non-m front end. other than that, the other shot is that my front end is just not at the same spec as most e46's right from the factory.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:01 PM   #115
hi its me alec

Quote:

i was at a VERY well known body shop in los angeles almost all day today. they are pretty much the premier shop for beverly hills bmw and mercedes body work.

they spent all afternoon trying to make mike's hood fit on my car, no matter how much they pulled my fenders out to try to get it to fit, it just wouldn't.

i had plenty of room up front, but the closer it got to the windsheild, there just wasn't enough room.

in order to get it to fit, they said they'd need an entire day and basically to take apart the entire front end to slide the hood in properly.

the only hope (for me) is that mike has had SO much custom body work done, that his hood has been matched to fit his custom fenders and other parts up front... which would make it hard, to nearly impossible, to fit on my non-m front end. other than that, the other shot is that my front end is just not at the same spec as most e46's right from the factory.
i guess yours is just weird, because i've seen two non-m's with stock fenders that the hood fits fine with said adjustments...

Old 02-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #116
LeftCoastBias

that top one looks to fit a bit better than the lower pic.

mike benvo is going to talk to the shop and see if there was anything they didn't do that could have made it work out.

cross your fingers for me!

Old 02-24-2007, 11:56 PM   #117
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Did they notch the top fender bolt holes so it would move enough? Mike had M3 fenders on his car, surprised the shop didn't know what to do. Mine goes in Monday, this is not what I wanted to hear. Did you take any pictures of what was wrong?
That was the hood and shop that was going to do mine..glad to hear I didn't buy that one and use that shop(sorry for you though).
Old 02-25-2007, 03:44 AM   #118
bumdavid

My Ride: 330ci
much help. Thanks -David
Old 02-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #119
LeftCoastBias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Did they notch the top fender bolt holes so it would move enough? Mike had M3 fenders on his car, surprised the shop didn't know what to do. Mine goes in Monday, this is not what I wanted to hear. Did you take any pictures of what was wrong?
That was the hood and shop that was going to do mine..glad to hear I didn't buy that one and use that shop(sorry for you though).
you mean notch like increase the size of the bolt holes?

they said they didn't want to do a "micky mouse" job on my car and send me off driving home with some **** work and a possible dangerous mod job.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #120
Alex323Ci

Quote:
you mean notch like increase the size of the bolt holes?
they said they didn't want to do a "micky mouse" job on my car and send me off driving home with some **** work and a possible dangerous mod job.
what they are suppose(i'm told) to do is elongate (one or two if needed)the fender's top bolt hole left-right so the fender can move some if it's too tight. i'm not sure how that would be a dangerous mod. shame you didn't take pictures. so it sounds like the shop wants you to come in again and charge you to put the hood on another day? or is the project scrapped? my hood goes on tomorrow. so you were there watching the whole process? pm me if you would please.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote