E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements

Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements
Get the latest news and announcements from the site sponsors! To ask a question please use the 'Ask a Sponsor' forum.
Click here to view all the site sponsors and see what they are offering!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #121
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Bimmerblvd, I have a Hamann rear add on that is being installed and am curious if I could use this on the part of the add on that surrounds the exhaust...

also, how do you fanatics think this would look?

(not my car but im using it so you can get an idea what i mean)

Do you think it would hold up to the heat?

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 05-15-2006 at 03:19 PM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:39 PM   #122
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer
Does anyone have the measurements of the panels without the BMW stripes on the Engine Covers? I may want to cover it with these sheets but I'd like to get the full measurement first. Just don't have easy access to my car right now...
I'd be willing to bet that those sheets will yellow/discolor in no time. I'd also wonder how well the adhesive will deal with the heat of the engine bay.

I've got a set of CF engine covers that were a wet lay up and the resin/clearcoat has yellowed. It wouldn't be that noticable if it wasn't for the high quality pieces that I have under the hood that haven't discolored.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #123
JCz04Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci & 06 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to JCz04Bimmer
Fair enough but I plan on using the sheets offered at http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_carbonfiber.html

I've had their sheets before and they VERY high quality. The adhesive is EXTREMELY durable and I've looked at the data sheet they provide directly from 3M about the adhesive being used. It'll certainly withstand engine temperatures. As for yellowing, the epoxy they use (MGS epoxy resin) is rated without heat-treating (whatever that is) up to 140 degrees. I don't think the engine covers get that hot. Because after a long hard day of driving, I can still touch the plastic covers and, if it got any hotter, the plastic wouldn't stand up and we've never heard of those falling apart, have we?

This stuff ain't your standard "tuner" stuff. Surprisingly, I think its extremely high quality and worth a shot!

JCz04Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #124
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
what would you think of covering the black plastic strip that lines the bottom of the rear bumper

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #125
JCz04Bimmer

OK, this stuff I'm talking about is definitely cool but it has its limitations. I tried using the Silver variety to cover my interior trim. I was surprised without how much it was able to bend, however, it has its limits. I was able to bend it in such a way so as not to crack the CF and to make it stay smooth but I think it held its place just because it was inside. I think if you start putting this stuff on the exterior exposed to the elements aaaand making bends, it'll either come off or look crappy. I think CF sheets are really meant to be indoors.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #126
Nuori
_

My Ride: A 323 mule pepe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI
Bimmerblvd, I have a Hamann rear add on that is being installed and am curious if I could use this on the part of the add on that surrounds the exhaust...

also, how do you fanatics think this would look?

(not my car but im using it so you can get an idea what i mean)

Do you think it would hold up to the heat?
What are you talking about? You say you have the add on, but you want the part the surrounds the exhaust??? Heat is NOT a problem with the Hamann add on. It's specifically designed for BMW's therefore, it's not an issue.

Nuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #127
Nuori
_

My Ride: A 323 mule pepe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet
no roofs yet

Werd. That's what my question was intended for. I want silver cf for the roof.

Nuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:13 PM   #128
JCz04Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad323i
What are you talking about? You say you have the add on, but you want the part the surrounds the exhaust??? Heat is NOT a problem with the Hamann add on. It's specifically designed for BMW's therefore, it's not an issue.

I think he was refering to the heat effecting the carbon fiber sheet he plans to put on the black portion shown in the picture.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #129
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer
Fair enough but I plan on using the sheets offered at http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_carbonfiber.html
Holy cow You really research your stuff don't you?

Let us know if you give it a whirl and how things turn out.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:25 PM   #130
JCz04Bimmer

Its funny because thats the website that comes up first on Google when you type in "Carbon Fiber Sheets" which was all the research I did. I then looked at what adhesive they used and the epoxy they use for the clearcoat. All information on their site. Then some more google searches and I had the temperature and adhesive-level reports in front of me.

I've actually ordered from them before. It takes a bit of time to ship (ie 2 weeks or so) but when it arrived it was well packaged and the weave is 100% flawless. No kinks whatsoever. I used it on my trim for a while and it looks good. Not excellent but like a 7-8/10 i'd say. The thinest version is still not something that can make multiple turns which covering the interior trim requires. So, I'm thinking about using it on the engine covers. I just need to take measurements to see how much I'd need. The only downside is that the edges of the sheet don't finish off like a fully wrapped item does, if you know what I mean. For example, I was thinking about wrapping my washer fluid thing in this but the edges will look cheap. Now, I'm thinking about 1) covering the engine cover partially and 2) fashioning my own covers to go in the upper left and right corners of the bay. With these sheets, of any thickness, you gotta keep it simple.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:00 AM   #131
vids_blk323Ci
DFW

My Ride: JB 323Ci SP PP
Send a message via AIM to vids_blk323Ci
I guess this died last year... N E updates people?

Dinan Stage I S/W | ACS RSB | ///M FSB |UUC TMEs & Pulleys |Ate Slotted Discs | ScanGuageII | RockyMounts MTB Carrrier | OEM Rear Clears | LED Euro City Lights & Rear Fogs | Two-Tone Suede DIY | ACS Pedals | Bimmian Gauge Rings & M3 Face | Smoked Frnt Corners w/ Luxeon LEDs | EAS CF Roundels | JLevi Ti CF trim | Blk Suede shift/ e-brake boots | ECS Smoked Frnt Bumper Reflectors | DICE Duo
vids_blk323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote