E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2006, 10:42 AM   #21
HighVoltage

My Ride: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelS View Post
i thought that bmw made it so that under normal braking not all LEDs light up. and under hard/emergency braking all the LEDs light up. so making the brake lights glow brighter the harder you press the brake?
They did, for those vehicles that came equipped with LEDs. There is a wire missing from the LCM to the leds on our vehicles. This wire is what would normally light up that outer set of leds on "hard braking". The modification in the link just uses the power from the main lights to power this outer ring. If you wanted the original feature you would need an LCM that supports this feature, as well as the wire/wire harness that brings that line all the way back to the taillights.

Last edited by HighVoltage; 11-29-2006 at 10:49 AM.
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:37 PM   #22
ZetaOcho

My Ride: Serie 3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrito View Post
Did you put one resistor for each led or one for all?Which measure of resistor did you use?
Good question Pedrito. We want answers
Greetings from a rainy Spain
ZetaOcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #23
sakman74
Banned

My Ride: M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m54325ci View Post
I don't remember but http://www.tigerdave.com/led_mod/ there's the site for it! the bmw part number for the little wires was found on here so I'm going to have to give you the dreaded
thanks for the link i think i ran across it once. now bookmarked.

i suspect the missing wire in pin 4 is 22 guage. this is the same guage as the bi-xenon LCM contact lead that i have, it's got the little silver clip contact swaged on it already. all i gotta do is order 2 more. think they cost like 2-3 bucks or something.

part number: 61-13-0-008-998

i will wait for my tail lights to come in the mail before i get the extra wires from the dealer, just to make sure they will accept this same contact.
sakman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:14 PM   #24
e46m54325ci
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Has TWO Turbos!!!
Send a message via AIM to e46m54325ci
61 13 0 005 197 I believe thats the wire and you need two of them
Old 11-29-2006, 05:31 PM   #25
sakman74
Banned

i found it to same # in another post somewhere in the vast e46fanatics universe....

hey i have another question. now that i am going to get a new LCM to add to my setup, i can install the headlights/LEDs first. then should i install the LCM and take it to the dealer for recode ? obviously it needs to be on the car, but i'm thinking it might be an order of precidence thing ?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #26
e46m54325ci
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Has TWO Turbos!!!
Send a message via AIM to e46m54325ci
I have no idea, if it's an lcm for bi-xenons and for the leds it may not need to be reflashed- these would be the LCMs for the 03.5+ M3's only since they have the same as bi-xenons as the prefacelifted coupes (ie no adaptive lights) and since they have leds, but i really am not sure
Old 11-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #27
chickenbutt

My Ride: 320 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrito View Post
Did you put one resistor for each led or one for all?Which measure of resistor did you use?
I'm quite sure it's one for all as he only changed one or 2.

I'm sorry I don't know anything as my friend is the electronic engineer and he was the one who did it for me.

I'll find out ASAP.

My geeky ramblings: http://meandmyphones.blogspot.com/
chickenbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:43 AM   #28
ZetaOcho

My Ride: Serie 3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbutt View Post

I'm sorry I don't know anything as my friend is the electronic engineer and he was the one who did it for me.

I'll find out ASAP.
O.K. but think... all Spain is waiting for your answer
ZetaOcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #29
sakman74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbutt View Post

I'll find out ASAP.
also....if you will (please) ask your friend if the color of the LEDs can be changed without removing the LEDs from the board ?

i'm looking for more orange and less yellow from the turns.....

thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #30
HighVoltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
also....if you will (please) ask your friend if the color of the LEDs can be changed without removing the LEDs from the board ?
No ,you cannot change the color of a led.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #31
HighVoltage

I wanted to follow this thread up because there were a few answered questions, the primary one being what the new resistor value is suppoed to be... I took some time today and dove into the Led tails. I took a few pictures as well. The first is pic of the led faces with designators (LDx). I did this as there were no designators for the leds on the PCB. The other components are elabled on the PCB though. Click on any of the pics to get larger versions with more detail.

First the face:

Here is a schematic using those designators:

You can see that there are in fact several current limiting resistors that will need to be replaced.

This next schematic is based on the first and outlines all the modifications:

I measured ~3.0V @ the Parking input with the Parking lights on. I also measured ~11.5V @ the Brake input with the brakes applied. We should be able to use this info to determine our new resistor values.

If you look carefully @ the schematic you may be able to see 2 equations if 1) you assume that the outer rings are capable of handling 12V, which the should be as that is there original intention with adaptive braking. 2) The current through an outer ring is equal to the current through one of the main chains.

Ioc = Imc,

Voc/Roc = Vmc/Rmc

(12.0V - 3x)/330 = (12.0V - 4x) / 100

where x is the voltage drop across a single led. Solving for x:

x = 2.48V, solving again for 11.5V x = 2.48. We can safely assume that the voltage drop is 2.5V per led. So now we can plug this number back into one side of the equation and determine that the forward current through a led is: 13.6ma.

Typicially the maximum forward current through a led is 20ma. We will use this firgure to determine are new resistor values. So we could theoretcially safely drive these leds another 32%. The luminance or brightness of the led is directly proportional to the forward current, so we should be able to increase the brightness by this amount as well. So our new resistor values are:

330 - (330 *.32) = ~224 ohms 1/4W
100 - (100 *.32) = 68 ohms 1/4W

To be safe however we should back off a bit from the max forward current to allow for some swing in the source voltage. 240 Ohm and 75 Ohm seems like a good compromise.

Ok, so to sum up:

1) You need to add a bridge as depicted in the schematic to get the outer rings to light up with the inner chains. This will now feed 12Vs onto that circuit when the brakes are applied. There is one caveat here and wil lbe discussed in step 3).

2) Replace 100 Ohms 1/4W resistors with 75 Ohms 1/4W resistors. Also replace 330 Ohms 1/4W with 240 Ohms 1/4W except for R10. Leave R10 as it is.

3) By introducing 12V onto this circuit it puts SMDR led at risk. This is the single side mounted led. It normally only sees 3.0V from the parking circuit. So we should remove it from that circuit by unsoldering the wire (red wire next to the yellow, see next pic), place a diode in series with it, and extend the wire to the Parking input point.

I'm a little concerned that the DIY posted above didnt make mention of step 3 and it may have been overlooked. Its possible that this led is capable of being driven to nearly 4x the current that it currently sees but in case it isnt this modification will prevent the new bridge from damaging it.

Ill be posting pics of the modifcation and install process next weekend. Hope all this helps anyone else interested in doing this mod.

Last edited by HighVoltage; 03-11-2007 at 09:47 PM. Reason: add 3rd pic