E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006, 03:02 AM   #41
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
It's called Autoleads BMW Multistalk Adapter. Very very rare on ebay, but you can find them in shops as well. www.autoleads.co.uk They make adapters according to the headunit and car model, not generic ones. And yes the steering wheel control works great! Volume up/down, tracks up/down both on audio and mp3 cds. I'll try to get in touch with the seller..

Control software is Centrafuse www.centrafuse.com

The headunit relocation:

Soldered 15 wires on the unit's PCB and another 15 wires on the faceplate. cat5e cable has 4 twisted pairs in it (8 wires total) so you need 2 cat5e cables to run (16 wires total).

so, 2 cat5e cables coming out of the unit, CUT them, and solder the parallel port. Then, run the cables under the carpets etc until you reach the handbrake. Cut the cables again and solder another parallel port.

Took the faceplate and opened it, soldered another 15 wires on its PCB and connected them via parallel port with the ones coming from the trunk. Have a look through the pictures I posted before about the parallel connections.

Head unit (crappy phone camera)

Faceplate:

paraklas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:30 AM   #42
paraklas

Found it..

Seller for Headunit & Multistalk Steering Wheel adapter: thompsonsltd

They ship worldwide if you get in touch with them!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:52 AM   #43
Pat-UK

My Ride: 325i Auto
Send a message via ICQ to Pat-UK
Blinding install, The PC case looks interesting, looking for somthing tiny for a project of my own (not car related)

Can I ask a question thought, not having a go, just purely out of interest, as I fancy having a go at somthing similar but couldn't put the head unit in like you have as I have Btooth phone unit.

Why did you not go for a USB radio or combined USB TV/Radio would have saved quite a bit of time and effort, remember I'm not having a go or flaming, just wondered.
Pat-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #44
TrippinBillyFL
I might as well be dreaming

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBillyFL
Very nice diy!

Have you considered integrating your car pc with the IBUS system in your car? You could intercept the steering wheel button signals and use them to control the PC volume. There are many more features that have been uncovered for the E46 as well... including rolling windows up/down, triggering the locks, wipers, lights, etc.

Check out my website for more info ... http://www.HackTheIBUS.com/ ... In a couple of weeks I will be releasing some software that aids in testing all the functionality I described above. You will be able to download it from my website for free!

Cheers!

TrippinBillyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:16 PM   #45
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-UK View Post
Blinding install, The PC case looks interesting, looking for somthing tiny for a project of my own (not car related)

Can I ask a question thought, not having a go, just purely out of interest, as I fancy having a go at somthing similar but couldn't put the head unit in like you have as I have Btooth phone unit.

Why did you not go for a USB radio or combined USB TV/Radio would have saved quite a bit of time and effort, remember I'm not having a go or flaming, just wondered.
The headunit is used as an amplifier for the system as well, not only for radio/mp3. I didn't want to install separate amplifier because of the cost and then I would have to change speakers etc. Remember if you don't use a radio, you will need a separate amplifier unit.

Quote:
Very nice diy!

Have you considered integrating your car pc with the IBUS system in your car? You could intercept the steering wheel button signals and use them to control the PC volume. There are many more features that have been uncovered for the E46 as well... including rolling windows up/down, triggering the locks, wipers, lights, etc.

Check out my website for more info ... http://www.HackTheIBUS.com/ ... In a couple of weeks I will be releasing some software that aids in testing all the functionality I described above. You will be able to download it from my website for free!

Cheers!
I'm interested about this!! What hardware do I need?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #46
enigmAudi

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to enigmAudi
wow that's impressive, nice work!
enigmAudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #47
TrippinBillyFL
I might as well be dreaming

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBillyFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
I'm interested about this!! What hardware do I need?
I bought the Reslers IBUS Interface USB v5. It costs about $50, is built to order and ships from the UK, so it takes about a month to get it. It plugs into your oem cd changer input (or can be tapped into other places if needed).

TrippinBillyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #48
paraklas

I will give it a try as well... Sounds interesting controlling the car's accessories through the PC. Just hope it doesn't crash heh
Old 10-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #49
MPOW3R

My Ride: '01 BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to MPOW3R Send a message via MSN to MPOW3R
Oh My God It's Beautiful!!
Old 10-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #50
5speedsteve

My Ride: gets rid of hickups
much respect my friend ...mad props!
Old 10-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #51
paraklas

Thanks for the replies. I tried to keep the system as OEM as possible;

all OEM wiring is unaffected, no cutting, taping, soldering, drilling on OEM equipment.

kept the oem radio/radio mounting stuff/ sunglass box thingy/ etc for future -want-to-revert-to-original look (only if I ever sell it)
Old 10-18-2006, 01:13 AM   #52
djray

My Ride: 01 BMW325CI
youre bad**ss!
djray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #53
slider

My Ride: 318 EXE M Touring
Send a message via ICQ to slider Send a message via MSN to slider
Power cable

Hi man, nice job, i am doing the same now, just one question how did you get the battery cable into the car?

Many thanks,

Raim
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #54
jonessc

My Ride: BMW 320d (e46)
nice job

just a quick question i have finished my setup however im finding it hard to get a right hand drive version of the climate relocation unit (My local dealer is about as much use as a choclate tea pot!), my bmw e46 has the wide individual buttons like the pic on the right exept it wont slot in cos its a different shape (UK Model)

Anyone know the correct part no to order?

Appreciate any help you can give (the part nos are listed underneath the pics)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51_16_7_001_408_small1.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	234613   Click image for larger version

Name:	51_16_8_230_902_small1.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	234614  

Last edited by jonessc; 07-11-2007 at 05:28 PM.
jonessc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #55
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post
Hi man, nice job, i am doing the same now, just one question how did you get the battery cable into the car?

Many thanks,

Raim
The battery on my car is in the trunk so it's right underneath my carputer.

Quote:
nice job

just a quick question i have finished my setup however im finding it hard to get a right hand drive version of the climate relocation unit (My local dealer is about as much use as a choclate tea pot!), my bmw e46 has the wide individual buttons like the pic on the right exept it wont slot in cos its a different shape (UK Model)

Anyone know the correct part no to order?

Appreciate any help you can give (the part nos are listed underneath the pics)
I got mine from ebay Germany (although was a bit worried getting a LHD version). If you can't find on ebay then I guess dealer is the only choice. If you give them the correct part number I'm sure they can get it for you.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #56
sstainba

My Ride: 02 325Ci
How did you make the bezel for the screen ?
sstainba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #57
jonessc

My Ride: BMW 320d (e46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
The battery on my car is in the trunk so it's right underneath my carputer.

I got mine from ebay Germany (although was a bit worried getting a LHD version). If you can't find on ebay then I guess dealer is the only choice. If you give them the correct part number I'm sure they can get it for you.
thanks, i just need the correct part no for my car to order, bmw cant tell me for sure which one it is, i have ordered 2 with the part nos in prev post i have read in forums, however both were no good
jonessc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:42 AM   #58
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstainba View Post
How did you make the bezel for the screen ?
The materials I used are these:

Bondo with fiberglass for the basic shape
Metallic filler for the details
2000 grit sand paper for extra smooth finishing
Universal primer spray for first coatings
Metallic Gloss spray paint to match the interior trim (although I changed my trim to brushed aluminum and looks great as well)

...and around 2 weeks of time

The bezel was based on the guide I found here:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...zel-mount.html

although the shape to match the dash lines was based on these plastic trim/adapters found on ebay that allow you to fit an aftermarket HU.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:51 AM   #59
paraklas

And the final & finishing touch.. Couldn't leave the carputer/radio exposed like that in the trunk so I decided to create some sort of cover.

Solution came with fiber glass! I created the cover first with small pieces of 2mm acrylic and then secured all the pieces together using fiber glass. Strong and light!

Also found some cloth similar to the one BMW uses for the trunk interior. Mother did the stitches. I sprayed glue on the cover so that the cloth sits properly and glued the cloth from the inside.

I also drilled a 120mm hole and put a fan for ventilation which is activated when the computer is turned on.

I didn't have to secure the cover in the trunk, it just sits there perfectly.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #60
dementievafan

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
i wonder who has actually done this diy other than the author, you sir , are Q, you should charge ppl for this lol youd make some money

dementievafan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpc, carputer