E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #41
nuc1

My Ride: money hole
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirsh View Post
the fit is perfect. I had to screw 3 screws on the bottom of it to attach it to the battery cover. The W7 was too deep for it though. The magnet was hitting the bottom. I was pretty pissed because this enclosure is supposedly made specifically for that sub. I had a shop make an mdf ring to raise the speaker a lil. As for sound it sounds great. This is the best sounding sub I have ever had. With the back seat down it can hit as hard as my 2 12s on some songs. It rattles my license plate like crazy. Doesn't bother me cuz I can't hear it inside the car but I think i'm going to put some foam on it to stop the rattling. I am/was a big basshead who until recently was only satisfied with the bass from 2 12s. I am very happy with this sub and kind of happy with the box. I get a lot of compliments about how good my sub sounds.

The 10W7 doesn't fit????? Not good....How large of a ring did you have to make to fit the sub? Is it noticable (any pics)? I believe there is a minimum distance that is required between the back of the sub's magnet and the enclosure. Can't seem to find it on JL's website....any thoughts? TIA!!
nuc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #42
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
The shop used the wooden baffle ring from the JL packaging. I'm guessing it leaves between .25-.50 in of space behind the magnet. They painted black and it's not even noticible. I'll take a pic in a few minutes when i go outside to wash my car.

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:03 AM   #43
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 018 (Small).jpg
Views:	2154
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	219902

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #44
nuc1

Thanks!

Pics are worth a thousand words..... still kinda sucks you had to go through that. Couple more questions for you:
1. Do you have any idea how much just the magicbox weighs?
2. Do you have to shoot holes through the battery cover to mount the box or do you remove it?
3. How tight of a fit is it -> does it move around during "spirited" driving?

I'm trying to minimize weight and I love the idea of saving trunk space but am torn between the w6v2 and the w7. The magicbox is ~ 1.25 cubic feet, which is over twice the volume rec'd by JL for the w6v2 and I haven't found anything similar to use w/ the w6 (and fiberglass is definitely not my idea of a fun DIY). Also, if I got the w6, I could just use the 500/5 and not have to worry about multiple amps (a little underpowered, I know, but it would probably work). Any thoughts?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:24 AM   #45
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but if your sub doesn't fit without a .5" spacer ring, I suspect that you have less than 1" behind the pole vent. You need at least 1" behind the pole vent to get adequate cooling. Otherwise, you can overheat the coil (aka fry it) in a high power application. Then you'll be looking at a $250+ repair bill.

JL rates the power handling of their subs at exactly what they can handle. If you approach their published limit, the pole vent has to be unobstructed.

You can reduce the internal volume with some styrofoam.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #46
nuc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but if your sub doesn't fit without a .5" spacer ring, I suspect that you have less than 1" behind the pole vent. You need at least 1" behind the pole vent to get adequate cooling. Otherwise, you can overheat the coil (aka fry it) in a high power application. Then you'll be looking at a $250+ repair bill.

JL rates the power handling of their subs at exactly what they can handle. If you approach their published limit, the pole vent has to be unobstructed.

You can reduce the internal volume with some styrofoam.
WRT the pole vent, that's what I seem to remember....

As far as reducing the internal volume, I'd need to get down to about .625 cubes - that's a lot of styrofoam. Is that even possible?

As I said above, I'm looking to save trunk space, minimize weight gain and get some decent bass. I DON"T want to use an enclosure that is the wrong volume for the driver I've chosen (e.g. too big of box = boomy sound). And I defnitely don't want to fry the driver. I've heard both the w7 and w6v2; to me, the w6 just sounds better.

So, as it stands: with Dirsh's box, using the w7 I'd run into the spacer and possible overheating issue. Same box using the w6, I'd have to find a way to make the driver "see" a smaller enclosure and might still not have at least an inch behind the pole vent (event though the w6 sits an inch shallower).

Awesome.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #47
bigjae1976

Styrofoam will be fine even if you need to cut the volume in half. Not an issue.

In my unprofessional opinion, the heat issue would be more of a concern. Long throw, high power subs (like a W7) generate a lot of heat. In fact, thermal power handling usually determines the overall power rating. I know that the W7s suspension can handle more travel than what is advertised. A larger box will help a little. If you burn the voice coil, JL charges a lot for a recone. You can just about buy my Fi Q12 new for what they charge.

Choking off the pole vent would really limit the amount of power you can apply to the sub. Suggest going with the W6 especially if you like to turn it up.

If you want something that is similar to (IMO, a hell of a lot better than) a W7, check out an Fi Q from Fi Car Audio. Their subs are not nearly as deep so it should fit in that box will no issue. Just double check the speaker cutout.

I wouldn't think of a W7 as a good candidate for an enclosure of this type because its so deep...or even a W6V2.

Last edited by bigjae1976; 03-24-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #48
nuc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Styrofoam will be fine even if you need to cut the volume in half. Not an issue.

In my unprofessional opinion, the heat issue would be more of a concern. Long throw, high power subs (like a W7) generate a lot of heat. In fact, thermal power handling usually determines the overall power rating. I know that the W7s suspension can handle more travel than what is advertised.

Choking off the pole vent would really limit the amount of power you can apply to the sub. Suggest going with the W6 especially if you like to turn it up.

If you want something that is similar to (IMO, a hell of a lot better) a W7, check out an Fi Q from Fi Car Audio. Their subs are not nearly as deep so it should fit in that box will no issue. Just double check the speaker cutout.

Thanks for the info...looks like I've got some decisions to make.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:50 AM   #49
Jharden4

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to Jharden4 Send a message via Yahoo to Jharden4
Quote:
the fit is perfect. I had to screw 3 screws on the bottom of it to attach it to the battery cover. The W7 was too deep for it though. The magnet was hitting the bottom. I was pretty pissed because this enclosure is supposedly made specifically for that sub. I had a shop make an mdf ring to raise the speaker a lil. As for sound it sounds great. This is the best sounding sub I have ever had. With the back seat down it can hit as hard as my 2 12s on some songs. It rattles my license plate like crazy. Doesn't bother me cuz I can't hear it inside the car but I think i'm going to put some foam on it to stop the rattling. I am/was a big basshead who until recently was only satisfied with the bass from 2 12s. I am very happy with this sub and kind of happy with the box. I get a lot of compliments about how good my sub sounds.
Hey Dirsh i just got my magic box in the mail a few days ago i didnt get my W7 yet but its on the way. so you say the sub wont fit? how much did you pay to get that ring made? can you PM me Thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #50
nuc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jharden4 View Post
Hey Dirsh i just got my magic box in the mail a few days ago i didnt get my W7 yet but its on the way. so you say the sub wont fit? how much did you pay to get that ring made? can you PM me Thanks
Can you post his answers here? I'd love to know as well (prior to buying the box)....
Old 03-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #51
bigjae1976

selectproducts.com might have the correct sized ring.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #52
E46Sedan

My Ride: 2002 M3
any updates weather the w7 is adirect fit as advertised? it's quite misleading when the mfg states that it is made for the JL W7 and u cant install teh w7 w/out a ring.

also what about heat issues?
E46Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #53
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jharden4 View Post
sorry about getting back to you so late. The sub is supposed to fit perfectly in the enclosure but it didn't. The installer made the ring for me for free. I just gave him a $20 tip because he also gave me some free wiring because my old wires were too short. I'm not too sure if my box was just a defect that was made too small. All in all im happy with the setup because it sounds great. Usually with subs I get tired of it after a while and want something better or louder. This is the first time ever that the sub sounds better and better every day.

Quote:
Old 05-09-2007, 05:03 AM   #54
m3in30days

My Ride: 330i
anyupdate?
m3in30days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #55
itsmike

My Ride: e46
Did this thing ever work out?
itsmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #56
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

I'd like to know how it turned out as well. I'm still satisfied with my setup. It still sounds good. It was a b*tch to take out the box any time I needed to access the battery because it was such a perfect fit. I've taken out the back cover of my tailight and now it's easier to take out the box when I need to. It's still in tight and won't come out from driving and you can't even tell the cover isn't there.

btw I just checked their site and they now carry a magic box for coupes, sedans, and verts

Quote:
Old 12-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #57
eforty6ix

My Ride: 2002 325xi Touring
Quote:
I'd like to know how it turned out as well. I'm still satisfied with my setup. It still sounds good. It was a b*tch to take out the box any time I needed to access the battery because it was such a perfect fit. I've taken out the back cover of my tailight and now it's easier to take out the box when I need to. It's still in tight and won't come out from driving and you can't even tell the cover isn't there.

btw I just checked their site and they now carry a magic box for coupes, sedans, and verts
Add me to the 'curious of how it turned out' list. I wanted to avoid battery-cover hassle altogether, and just ended up having a box made by my shop in Salt Lake.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Just checked out wicked's site- they do have some pretty impressive stuff. Just wish someone would address the driver side!

BTW Dirsh- that W7 looks dope, my friend. Dope.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:29 AM   #58
itsmike

My Ride: e46
^^ eforty6ix, that looks awsome. Do you have more pics? How much did that thing cost ya?
itsmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #59
328iBMW

My Ride: C320
I made one for the driver's side of a sedan. Who wants to buy it?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 AM   #60
eforty6ix

My Ride: 2002 325xi Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmike View Post
^^ eforty6ix, that looks awsome. Do you have more pics? How much did that thing cost ya?
500 at www.carconceptsslc.com for my 12' JL W6.

PM sent with many pics