E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #81
jpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,005
My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks View Post
It will cost you $200K. That's what I'll need to cover setup fees and for you to buy an entire production run for the part numbers (left and right), because the "regular" price would be infeasibly high for other purchasers. But, since I don't see the point in wasting time, I'm not actually going to produce them.
I guess that's a roundabout way of agreeing that rotors with cast in holes don't exist as a real option even if we continue to hold different opinions on their existence as a theoretical option.

Glad you finally came around.

Last edited by jpr; 03-26-2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: add quote
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #82
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******
 
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: GA
Posts: 3,953
My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
I guess that's a roundabout way of agreeing that rotors with cast in holes don't exist as a real option even if we continue to hold different opinions on their existence as a theoretical option.

Glad you finally came around.
Damn, you got me to comment. Twisting my words will get a response.

The rotors that we've been discussing are the OEM floating rotors made for the German car manufacturers. Obviously, I don't make those.

The plain and slotted rotors that I am referring to that we do currently make are 1-piece. We do not make them cast-perforated, but could. The cost for me to make them would exceed the OEM perforated offerings, therefore it does not make sense for me to make them.

Can we please have a moratorium on misinterpreting or twisting my comments, hmmm?

- Rob
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #83
jpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,005
My Ride: '99 323i
'twas not my intent to do so. I thought it clear that we have been discussing much more than just the SHW floating rotors.

The general question was - if I want to buy rotors with cast in holes, who do I call and how do I know what I am getting?

Is there a different answer than what you posted before?
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #84
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******
 
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: GA
Posts: 3,953
My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
'twas not my intent to do so. I thought it clear that we have been discussing much more than just the SHW floating rotors.

The general question was - if I want to buy rotors with cast in holes, who do I call and how do I know what I am getting?

Is there a different answer than what you posted before?
Diret Fit OE-size for your car? None that I know of.

Maybe that's the disconnect you and I are having... I am only saying that cast-perforation technology exists. I am also agreeing that the aftermarket companies you listed previously do not use that technology, but are machine-drilled.

- Rob
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:08 PM   #85
jpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,005
My Ride: '99 323i
How about -
(1) for any E46
(2) for any car (assuming cast iron rotors, not the exocitc carbon/ceramic/kryptonite rotors)
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #86
jpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,005
My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
I guess that's a roundabout way of agreeing that rotors with cast in holes don't exist as a real option even if we continue to hold different opinions on their existence as a theoretical option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks View Post
Diret Fit OE-size for your car? None that I know of.

Maybe that's the disconnect you and I are having... I am only saying that cast-perforation technology exists. I am also agreeing that the aftermarket companies you listed previously do not use that technology, but are machine-drilled.

- Rob
Now doesn't that sound like we agree?
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:40 PM   #87
swordsman11868
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 591
My Ride: 2003 325i
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #88
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******
 
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: GA
Posts: 3,953
My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
How about -
(1) for any E46
(2) for any car (assuming cast iron rotors, not the exocitc carbon/ceramic/kryptonite rotors)
Again, you're asking questions we've discussed before. That doesn't make for scintillating conversation.
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #89
jpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,005
My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks View Post
Again, you're asking questions we've discussed before. That doesn't make for scintillating conversation.
Just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly - I take you previous answer applies -
Quote:
None that I know of...I am only saying that cast-perforation technology exists. I am also agreeing that the aftermarket companies you listed previously do not use that technology, but are machine-drilled.
So even if we grant for arguments sake that cast-perforation technology exists, there is not one single example of anybody actually using it to produce a rotor you can buy for any make or model of car.
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #90
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******
 
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: GA
Posts: 3,953
My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
Just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly - I take you previous answer applies -

So even if we grant for arguments sake that cast-perforation technology exists, there is not one single example of anybody actually using it to produce a rotor you can buy for any make or model of car.
Why are you asking leading questions like that when you know that the cast perforated rotors as used by the various manufacturer's motorsport divisions are the source of your ongoing tirade?

It really is amusing that you think you've "discovered" some great cover-up and keep making new posts about it. Oh well, I don't see that it's exactly accomplishing anything useful.

- Rob
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #91
jpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,005
My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks View Post
Why are you asking leading questions like that when you know that the cast perforated rotors as used by the various manufacturer's motorsport divisions are the source of your ongoing tirade?
I promise you I am actually totally ignorant of that.

The closest I can come was the earlier mention of SHW as the manufacturer of the BMW Motorsport, Porsche, and a few other high-end rotors. But I believe we established, and you concurred that those are drilled ( "I am also agreeing that the aftermarket companies you listed previously do not use that technology, but are machine-drilled." )

So I'm back where I started, still trying to find an actual real live example of a cast perforated rotor.

Last edited by jpr; 03-26-2007 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelling
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #92
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******
 
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: GA
Posts: 3,953
My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
I promise you I am actually totally ignorant of that.

The closest I can come was the earlier mention of SHW as the manufacturer of the BMW Motorsport, Porsche, and a few other high-end rotors. But I believe we established, and you concurred that those are drilled ( "I am also agreeing that the aftermarket companies you listed previously do not use that technology, but are machine-drilled." )

So I'm back where I started, still trying to find an actaul real live example of a cast perforated rotor.
Ah, then maybe THAT is the true source of the disconnect! SHW, etc., are not "aftermarket"... they are OEM.

- Rob
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:52 PM   #93
jpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,005
My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks View Post
Ah, then maybe THAT is the true source of the disconnect! SHW, etc., are not "aftermarket"... they are OEM.

- Rob
Okay - and SHW rotors are drilled - see post #44 - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...0&postcount=44

So I'm back where I started, still trying to find an actual real live example of a cast perforated rotor
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #94
328iBMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cinci
Posts: 713
My Ride: C320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
Okay - and SHW rotors are drilled - see post #44 - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...0&postcount=44

So I'm back where I started, still trying to find an actual real live example of a cast perforated rotor
Me too. Anyone out there have any?

__________________
What makes you come alive?.........Go do it.
328iBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #95
Erick Sermon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 622
My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks View Post
Diret Fit OE-size for your car? None that I know of.

Maybe that's the disconnect you and I are having... I am only saying that cast-perforation technology exists. I am also agreeing that the aftermarket companies you listed previously do not use that technology, but are machine-drilled.

- Rob
but in one of your first posts on pg 1 the assertion is that the OE Motorsport brakes are in fact cast...you sell those. your tune has changed from pg 1 to 5
Erick Sermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:56 PM   #96
BrianJ1888
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami/Gainesville
Posts: 564
My Ride: 330i ZHP Imola Red
http://www.bb-automobiltechnik.de/bb...msen/index.php
http://www.928gt.com/p-1841-big-brak...ece-rotor.aspx
something about cast-hole rotors with their BBKs

Last edited by BrianJ1888; 03-27-2007 at 10:00 PM.
BrianJ1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #97
jpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,005
My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ1888 View Post
Couple of interesting things to note about that -
Both links are to distributors, not manufacturers. It is unclear who actually makes the rotors. It's a reasonably safe bet that the Porsche rotors in the second link were originally made by SHW. And as noted earlier, SHW drills their rotors. FWIW, you will frequently see Porsche crop up as having rotors with cast in holes, but the more you look in to it, the less you will find. My guess for how the rumor started is that Porsche does in fact make some rotors with holes without a subsequent drilling process. These however, are their high end carbon/ceramic/I-really-don't-know-what rotors. However, they aren't exactly cast in the same way you would think of casting in terms of normal rotors. Anyway, my supposition is that what started out as true for some specific exotic rotors, came to be misinterpreted as applicable to all Porsche rotors.

I applaud your efforts and encourage you to continue. But I'll give you the hint to start looking a little deeper at who is actually making the rotors and what they claim, as opposed to what is claimed by people merely selling them.
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #98
BrianJ1888
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami/Gainesville
Posts: 564
My Ride: 330i ZHP Imola Red
I saw something about the Porsche rotors being cast with dimples, and then the dimples being drilled out, but I'm no expert on their stuff. Regardless, I don't think you really get your money's worth when trying to get "cast-hole" rotors vs buying regular drilled and/or slotted rotors off the shelf. If you want something you know will hold up to extreme abuse, get carbon-ceramic Porsche brakes, or one of the equivalent aftermarket kits that are now being released.
BrianJ1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #99
jpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,005
My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ1888 View Post
I saw something about the Porsche rotors being cast with dimples, and then the dimples being drilled out, but I'm no expert on their stuff. Regardless, I don't think you really get your money's worth when trying to get "cast-hole" rotors vs buying regular drilled and/or slotted rotors off the shelf. If you want something you know will hold up to extreme abuse, get carbon-ceramic Porsche brakes, or one of the equivalent aftermarket kits that are now being released.
I think I may have read that same (or a similar thread) as well. If I recall correctly, the story went something this -
* Porsche rotors are cast with holes!
* Well, maybe they aren't really cast with holes, but they're cast with dimples!
* Well, okay they aren't cast with either holes or dimples after all....
But it took a lot longer to get there in real life.
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:32 AM   #100
jpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,005
My Ride: '99 323i
Links for you

For those that may be interested in looking in to this further, here's some links to manufacturers and high profile aftermarket companies.
So far as BMW OEM's - it is the Textar division of of TMD Friction that supplies most of the pads, with Jurid supplying a specific few. While Balo and Zimmerman are the most frequently cited as providing the OEM rotors, I wouldn't be surprised if Textar provided some or of all of them. SHW, as mentioned before, makes the M floating rotors.

http://www.apracing.com/car/site.htm
http://www.ate-na.com/generator/www/...rotors_us.html
http://www.balo.de/index.html
http://www.brembo.com/US/
http://www.dba.com.au/2006/dba_company.asp
http://www.*********.com/
http://www.eurac-group.com/index.php
http://www.frozenrotors.com/
http://www.fte.de/Homepage_en.FTE
http://www.movit.de/htm/homefut2.htm
http://www.pbr.com.au/
http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/products.htm
http://www.powerslot.com/
http://www.autospecialty.com/
http://www.racingbrake.com/Default.asp
http://www.rotora.com/cgi-local/Soft...html?E+scstore
http://www.shw.de/index.php?28
http://www.stoptech.com/
http://www.textar.com/index.jsp
http://www.tmdfriction.de/index.jsp
http://www.wilwood.com/
http://www.otto-zimmermann.de/
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use