E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance
Everything to make your car faster! Air intakes, superchargers, turbos, flywheel & clutch, differentials, chips, short shift kits, exhausts, etc.....

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Kirkham

My Ride: 2001 M3 + 2006 RRs
UUC E46 M3 Clutch and lightweight flywheel. NEW

I just installed an amazing 4 puck (don't think they sell it anymore, my shop had one brand new, I bought it directly from them) UUC race clutch on my e46 m3 racecar with a lightweight flywheel. Out of all of the things I have done to various cars in the past this setup did the most in terms of feel/power. It really gives you a ton of power and feels super sporty at the same time it isnt any more difficult to drive. The revs are supper snappy, it just feels amazingly fast. I think it is definitely the most bang for your buck in terms of raw power. So much so that my car is not legal for my race class and I have to revert it! Not only do I have to pay for labor twice but parts twice as well, my mistake. Anyhow the parts retail for about $1500. They have been installed for maybe a week and a half, I am partially through the break in phase, there has only been about 45 street miles put on the clutch/flywheel.

I will sell the setup for $599. Super good deal don't pass it up.

Read below for a writeup on lightweight flywheels if you are unaware of how they work. Basically its like adding 30+ HP in first gear!

Please call or email NOT PM. My cell is 503/572.8027 and my email is jameski@johnlscott.com

How does a lightweight flywheel work? Amongst the majority, there are two schools of thought concerning light flywheels. The first is that they do not contribute to power output. The second is that they do. Which thought is correct? In fact both, in a way, are correct.

If we measured the power output of an engine first with light flywheel and then again with the standard part on an engine dyno, no change in power will be seen to occur. At first it appears that the light flywheel has done nothing and was a total waste of cash. This is not the case. A dyno that shows max power at constant revs does not demonstrate what happens to an engine's power output in real life situations - like acceleration. If an engine is accelerated on a dyno (we are talking about a rate of around 2000rpm a second ) it would show a power output of around 20%-25% less than at the constant rev state.

The reason for this is that when accelerating a vehicle the engine not only has to push the total mass of the car but the internal components of the engine need to be accelerated also. This tends to absorb more power as the extra power is used accelerating the internal mass of the engine components and is why a motor accelerating on a dyno will produce less power than at constant revs. Also it must be remembered that the rate of acceleration on the engine internals is much greater that the rest of the car. This would then suggest that by lightening the flywheel, less power would be required to accelerate it and therefore more power would be available to push the car along.

Now, it may seen unbelievable that by removing a few pounds from the flywheel a noticeable difference to a 3000lb+ carís acceleration will be made. In fact the difference is quite noticeable and the secret behind this is hidden within the gearbox. Everyone knows that cars accelerate at a greater rate in low gears, this is because a carís gear box basically a mechanical lever and just like when using a leaver to lift a heavy object, the gearbox reduces the mass of the car that the engine sees. For example, in first gear an engine will see the car's mass as only around say 250lbs but the engine internal mass would still remain around 45lbs.

As for the "virtual" weight loss of a typical lightweight flywheel in the 3-series or M3, we've prepared the full mathematical analysis:

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
ghull

My Ride: '02 Topaz M3 SMG
Bump for a nice guy and great seller...I have this UUC upgrade and spent $1,200 for it...worth every penny and this is a great deal.....
ghull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
ggolamco

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Which clutch material is it? Also, is it the aluminum flywheel or the new steel one?

Thanks!
ggolamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:32 PM   #4
smokinaces

My Ride: 2006 BMW M3
pm sent.t..
smokinaces is offline   Reply With Quote