E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
tylerpdx

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Xenon headligt bulb replacement

One of my Xenon headlights just stopped working, I noticed two days ago that it was a kind of purple color compared to the other one and now it sparks on for second and then turns off.

How hard are these to replace? How much does a new bulb cost? Do I have to get it from the dealership or will a normal autoparts store have it?
tylerpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Pretty easy to replace, should take you about 5 minutes per side. You will probably want to replace them in pairs as a new bulb will not quite match the old one in terms of color. We do have replacement D2S Bulbs on our site if you need a set.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
SD-Brandon

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
I found it easier to remove the headlight assembly and then pull the bulbs. You just have to be careful not to lose the 2 silver screws in the back.... Dealer doesn't sell just those screws, they come on some plastic piece which is pretty pricey.

Total of 4 screws per headlight. two black ones on the top, and the two silver ones in the back.

Of course, you can just remove the rubber grommet and try and pull the bulb yourself without removing the assembly...that is, if you have small hands.
SD-Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
tylerpdx

My Ride: 2002 325xi
I need to put my new angel eyes in anyways, one burnt out and I've had a new set sitting in the garage waiting to go in. Guess I'll go for it this weekend.

My buddy that works for the local BMW dealership I called and he said that the bulbs don't go out that often and it is usually the driver or electrical connection or something else. He suggested that I swap bulbs between sides to determine if it is the bulb or not. I'll look at this tonight.

Tyler
tylerpdx is offline   Reply With Quote