E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
BoSox2004

My Ride: Steel Blue
problem taking out corner lights (help!)

Hey Guys,

Today, I finally received my crsyal smoked corners.. They look awesome but still aren't on my car.

I got the right corner light without a problem. I kinda just wiggled it and it came out. I put my new corner light on but it doesn't really fit properly.. It sticks out a little but I figure if I sand it down a little that it will fit perfect.

Anyways... After I installed the right one, i moved on to the left one. The problem is... I can't get the left corner light out? It didn't come out when i "wiggled" out, so my question is... What's the trick to getting it out? I can't figure it out and it's really starting to bother me..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, have a lot of people sanded down their corner lights if they don't fit properly?

THANKS!
BoSox2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
BoSox2004

by the way.. i posted this in the lighting section but no one views it.

MODS: if this needs to be moved/deleted i appologize.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
BoSox2004

bump
Old 06-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
tturedraider

My Ride: '04 Imola/NB ZHP:-)
Do you have an owner's manual? There are instructions in there. There is a hole in the fender that you put a screw driver in and press down on a plastic tab on the light housing. You shouldn't be able to "wiggle" the light out.

Regarding putting your light housing back in, look closely at the tabs on the housing, they are designed to slide into specific slots.

Do a search in the lighting forum and you'll find diy info.
tturedraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
BoSox2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Do you have an owner's manual? There are instructions in there. There is a hole in the fender that you put a screw driver in and press down on a plastic tab on the light housing. You shouldn't be able to "wiggle" the light out.

Regarding putting your light housing back in, look closely at the tabs on the housing, they are designed to slide into specific slots.

Nope, someone stole my owner's manual when i left my windows down one day.. Thanks for the help. I'll go try that right now.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
Shuskan3

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:

+1 Just be careful when putting the new smoked light in. If the tabs are not lined up perfect they will snap off.
Hardwired V1 ~ Turner Motorsport Front and Rear Sways w/ Ground Control Endlinks ~ Powerflex RTAB’s ~ OEM BMW Performance SSK ~ ZHP Shift Knob ~ Painted Reflectors ~ Bluetooth ~ Satellite Radio ~ CDV Delete ~ Clutch Stop ~ Euro Tray ~ 19” CSL Wheels ~
18” OEM Wheels for the track

Shuskan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
BoSox2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuskan3 View Post
+1 Just be careful when putting the new smoked light in. If the tabs are not lined up perfect they will snap off.
Thanks, I'll make sure I remember that.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
tturedraider

My Ride: '04 Imola/NB ZHP:-)
manual - https://oc.bmwusa.com/publications/O...ual-3Sedan.pdf - p. 144

Last edited by tturedraider; 06-07-2007 at 07:17 PM.
tturedraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
BoSox2004

Quote:
thanks... that should help!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
BoSox2004

thanks for the all the help fellas.. I really appreciate it.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:52 PM   #11
BlkE4600

My Ride: 99' 323i
Pics of crystal smoked corners on car now.....perty please?

-Bill
Old 06-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #12
BoSox2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkE4600 View Post
Pics of crystal smoked corners on car now.....perty please?

-Bill
I'm still having trouble taking them out. Once my buddy gets back from MI. he is going to install them for me as well as my smoked sidemarkers. I'll make sure to take pix after the install.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
negative330ci

My Ride: '92 Camaro.
Send a message via MSN to negative330ci Send a message via Yahoo to negative330ci
I bought the crystal smoked corners, the DEPO ones from ebay, about a week before any sponsor on here advertised they had them. They would never clip all the way in. They would go all the way in and look ok, but they were never secure. I called the vendor and they assured me they would fit. I tried a few more times with moving the bulb socket in different ways and no luck. Finally, one of they tabs broke off from all my trying. Such a waste they looked so good. The ambers are back on. I thought about another pair from one of our vendors, but I am pretty sure their is only one manufacturer, DEPO.

The problem was with the lights not the installer, me. I have had the corners out a thousand times changing bulbs and have never had a problem. I even tried putting the ambers back in in the middle of the others ones not working. They snapped right in.

To the OP: PM me if you can get them to work. I would love another pair let me know where you got them.

"See how I blend in with nothing?"
negative330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #14
VF-x

My Ride: 2001 330i
What car do you have? I have an 01 330i, pre-facelift.

I just installed original BMW clears on my car yesterday. I had a similar problem, I took the left light easily, but the right one didn't seem to want to budge. It turns out I was pushing down on the wrong part with my screwdriver. When I look into the hole where I needed to insert my screwdriver, I can clearly see the alignment tab, and that was what I was pushing down on. Instead, I aimed my screwdriver slightly behind it, and it pushed down on the tab that holds the light housing in place. After that, it was a simple task to slide the light out.

The side markers were a snap to remove and replace. I simply pushed the lens forward, and pulled the rear portion out first. The side marker then comes out easily.

I'm just relating my experience. I hope it helps.

Cheers,
VF-x
VF-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #15
BoSox2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-x View Post
What car do you have? I have an 01 330i, pre-facelift.

I just installed original BMW clears on my car yesterday. I had a similar problem, I took the left light easily, but the right one didn't seem to want to budge. It turns out I was pushing down on the wrong part with my screwdriver. When I look into the hole where I needed to insert my screwdriver, I can clearly see the alignment tab, and that was what I was pushing down on. Instead, I aimed my screwdriver slightly behind it, and it pushed down on the tab that holds the light housing in place. After that, it was a simple task to slide the light out.

The side markers were a snap to remove and replace. I simply pushed the lens forward, and pulled the rear portion out first. The side marker then comes out easily.

I'm just relating my experience. I hope it helps.

Cheers,
VF-x

hey thanks for the info. I actually just got my sidemarkers in the mail today. I'm going to try that right now. Thanks bud
Old 06-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #16
BoSox2004

Just installed the sidemarkers

thanks for the info on how to do it. I really appreciate it