E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Question Ignition Switch

Does anyone have a DIY for replacing the ignition switch, or another DIY that although doesn't directly have to deal with replacing it, can at least show how to gain easy access to it?

Recently, I've been having weird ass electrical issues, and I've been told two different things... Either its a bad ground somewhere, or my ignition switch needs to be replaced.

The issue I'm having is every once in awhile while driving, my car will get both "tail light out" warning lights on, and all of a sudden, my cars radio stops working, interior lights, a/c or heater as well, and the cdv starts delaying itself a lot longer. It isn't until I pull down the visor and turn on the vanity light that it goes away.

Sometimes the opposite happens, where my gf might turn on the vanity light over the visor, and the car goes haywire. I then have to pull over and restart the car to get everything back to normal.

It also happens sometimes when I first go to start the car. I'll turn the key, and nothing happens, car wont start, and it shows both tail out warning lights. I then have to play with turning the key on and off a few times to get it to start.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Wow... that's an odd one. I wonder if the issue is tied to a short in the lighting control, or if there is a voltage regulation problem that gets triggered with a change in power flow.

I think you'll wind up saving money and time in the long run if you have it diagnosed professionally. Throwing money at guesses might get frustrating after a while.

Do keep us posted, though...

Ken

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #3
ms328i

My Ride: 99 328i & 04 X5
Got the same problem. Mine will throw the transmission light and air bag indicator flickering, and sometimes radio will stop working. I brought it to the dealer 2 years ago with the same problem and all they did was reset all the fault codes and car was fine until two weeks ago. They recommend replacing the ignition switch if problem persist. So, i guess i will be changing mine soon.
ms328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 AM   #4
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
and the cdv starts delaying itself a lot longer.
CDV as in clutch delay valve? that's mechanical, nothing to do with electronics.

Have you checked your battery if it holds a good charge?
Alternator output?
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH, Buy me lunch after it fixes it!!! It is realy east remove lower steering colum cover and you will see red paint using a small screw driver remove those two screws and remove switch, reverse instrutions and install new switch takes about 1-2 hours

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
bimmerchop

I've been to the dealership as well as an indy shop in the past, and they always give me the same BS excuse that they "can't re-create the problem". Their solution was replacing the tail bulbs... because that did much . I have no choice right now other than to start trying to fix this myself, and tackling the ignition switch first seems a lot easier than trying to find a bad ground somewhere in the car.

CDV was a typo as I meant to refer to the clutch switch delay, like in this thread...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=398047

Regardless whether it has something to do with my clutch, it still effects my driving/shifting. While this happens, if I remove press my clutch down to disengage, it takes a good full second for the car to stop accelerating.

If this is resolved when I replace the ignition switch, I'll overnight you a nice hot sandwich jbeurotech

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS

Last edited by bimmerchop; 06-21-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Read this link and the orignal thread fits your to a T and this is a pretty commne issue. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...12#post5634812

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
bimmerchop

I'm excited to finally get this crap back to normal. Can't wait

euro.techniks

Old 08-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
E46 $pit

My Ride: 2003 330Xi
I have a potential ignition switch issue . About a month ago I tried to start my vehicle and it failed to crank at all. I tried to jump it to no avail. Finally got it Towed. The garage put it up on the lift and it started. (?!) Two weeks later after numerous starts, it did the same thing - fortunately next to my house. I looked into everything from a bad key fob to a blown fuel pump fuse... Even looked to see if a coin was trapped by the neutral safety switch ...nothing seemed to work...then after rattling the ignition a bit, it started (?!)...then continued to start for two more weeks. I took it into the stealership this past Wednesday - they ran the diagnostic and told me that the vehicle has no ignition problems and nothing shows up in the history. ( OK am I lying?!)...Well this past Friday night my car once again failed to start. Same thing - good battery - radio, lights etcs ...I can hear a click inside the motor ( Starter ) and one up by the left side of the firewall immediately after...thinking it must be the ignition switch itself ...maybe a wiring short....
E46 $pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Sounds like the ignition switch needs replacing. Used ones are available on eBay.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
E46 $pit

My Ride: 2003 330Xi
Thanks Arty - It continues...Yesterday my friend went down with his flatbed to get it to my local garage...he couldn't get it started...but couldn't tow it cause it was parked in...today he went back down...jiggled the keys in the door...got in and it fired right up...never thought I'd hope a car wouldn't start...hard to find an issue when there isn't one. aaargg.
E46 $pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
RaCERx11

My Ride: 2004 e46 325i
Same symptoms here as those above -- airbag light and seatbelt light would intermittently fire and seemed to be triggered by different accessories (radio getting turned on or vanity light on/off). My windshield wipers would also stutter and sometimes not work, cruise control would stop working sometimes, too. A few days ago, it deteriorated to a point where the car would no longer start. My indy shop refused to debug further, so i brought it to a dealer. Within a few hours, the service guys at the dealer were able to reproduce the weird electrical problems and have root caused it to a faulty ignition switch. I'll find out fairly soon if it truly fixed the problem. It will be very nice to not have to chase these issues one-by-one anymore.
RaCERx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #13
caliber

My Ride: E46 328i, E92 335i
Many Thanks guys.

Mine had the same symptoms as you described. In particular I hated it happened at bad weather. The windshield wipers worked at their wishes. I told my garage to replace the ignition switch straight away.

All go back to normal now.
caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Sorry to revive an old thread. But would a bad ignition switch cause problems with reading codes from both underneath the hood and under the steering column? An indy I talked to said it could be a bad terminal 15 on the ignition switch and I just want a 2nd opinion before ordering the part.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
The ignition switch must be in the full on position to power up the diagnostic modules, so I suppose it's possible. If that position is bad, perhaps power is cut. It would seem like you'd have other symptoms though... odd one.

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
locoman

My Ride: e46
Changing the ignition switch fixed a long running problem on my e46: the AM radio did not work but the FM was fine

Multiple experienced service people had trouble diagnosing. Thanks for the advice 5 years later, Seth Thorson!

Last edited by locoman; 10-13-2012 at 07:40 PM.
locoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
sleeker

My Ride: '01 325CI
thers a couple good diy's on youtube for this. worked for me.
sleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Viktimize

My Ride: 2002 325i,2003 330ci
I didn't get any of these symptoms at all. I came home after a few days and tried to start my car, it ran fine while I was sweeping it off, then just started rough idling and died. Tried to restart and it would just crank with no start. I figured the fuel pump had died, but it's too cold outside to work on the car and troubleshoot anything. Took it to my indy mechanic and he changed out the ignition switch and the car runs fine again.

So you can add crank but no start to list of symptoms for this problem.

Last edited by Viktimize; 12-07-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Viktimize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #19
Rathbone

My Ride: Space Shuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH, Buy me lunch after it fixes it!!! It is realy east remove lower steering colum cover and you will see red paint using a small screw driver remove those two screws and remove switch, reverse instrutions and install new switch takes about 1-2 hours
This is a DIY thread? One post which basically says 'Fix it' and offers no information or photos? If it's so easy why does it take 2 hours to remove and replace 2 screws?
Rathbone is offline   Reply With Quote