E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Pancho328i

My Ride: 328i
How to test ABS sensors?

HI,

Does anyone know the procedure for testing the ABS sensors? I'm getting the DSC, parking break, ABS lights on at times. This happened 2 or 3 times while the car was under warranty and in every ocassion the problem was fixed by either cleaning or replacing one of the wheel motion sensors, so I bet it's the same thing again.

Thanks

Pancho
Pancho328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Pancho328i

Bump...

Anyone?

I still get the intermitent failure, although much less than before. Perhaps because I cleaned the rear sensors when doing the RTABs.

I remember once the tech said that he had measured one of the sensors and it was marginal so he replaced it. I bet he did this with the car's computer itself, which would take me to asking about software than can read DSC failures, I don't think there is one, is there?

I'd hate to have to take my car to the stealer because of this..

Pancho
Old 06-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Zamorskii

My Ride: 1991 M5
Buy a Peak code reader. They are around $130 off ebay. It should read those codes.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
pns0ccc

My Ride: 03 325i & 07 335
The OBDII code readers will not read the ABS signals. I had the same problem as you had. An indy repair center I use charges me $10.00 to read the code with a very expensive analyzer. The wheel speed sensor repair was $100.00 for the part and $95.00 for the labor.
pns0ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Eurobahn BMW
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: BMW Greensboro
not to be a jerk but how about braking hard?

Search for a local, independent BMW Greensboro shop with BMW mechanics that have dealer-level expertise at a fraction of the cost.

Eurobahn BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
vstol

My Ride: 2000 323i E46
To the OP. Jack and remove the wheels. Disconnect the wheel speed sensor(s) from the harness in the wheel well. You'll need a digital volt meter (DVM). Connect the meter leads to the wheel speed sensor - polarity doesn't matter. Select the milivolt range (mV). Spin the hub and observe the meter. You should read between 1 and 5 mV when you spin the hub. No output = a defective and/or dirty sensor. Cheap and effective. Good luck.
vstol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
KrisL

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to KrisL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pns0ccc View Post
The OBDII code readers will not read the ABS signals. I had the same problem as you had. An indy repair center I use charges me $10.00 to read the code with a very expensive analyzer. The wheel speed sensor repair was $100.00 for the part and $95.00 for the labor.
Ouch on the labor.. these things are 1 hex screw and 2 minutes to replace, you can even do it w/o removing the wheel.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
KrisL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstol View Post
To the OP. Jack and remove the wheels. Disconnect the wheel speed sensor(s) from the harness in the wheel well. You'll need a digital volt meter (DVM). Connect the meter leads to the wheel speed sensor - polarity doesn't matter. Select the milivolt range (mV). Spin the hub and observe the meter. You should read between 1 and 5 mV when you spin the hub. No output = a defective and/or dirty sensor. Cheap and effective. Good luck.

Wow, great info - I'm going to add this to the wiki.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Pancho328i

Quote:
Great info. I will try this. Not sure I can spin the rears but we'll see.

Thanks

Pancho
Old 06-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #10
KrisL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho328i View Post
Great info. I will try this. Not sure I can spin the rears but we'll see.

Thanks

Pancho

Leave the wheel on. Car in neutral. You can reach into the fender and disconnect the sensor fairly easily.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
naesb81

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Send a message via AIM to naesb81
Just an FYI, the wheel speed sensor may also be referred to as "PULSE GENERATOR, ABS"
naesb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:56 AM   #12
GTRTurbo

My Ride: 328i 300Zx SE-R
Sorry, Dumb Question. Is there a picture of it and location of the plug anywhere? I used the Peak and couldn't read any errors but the ABS and DSC light is on and stay on. Another issue that I have had lately is that the tail light brake warning lights have came on 3 times and went out by themselves.. All lights were fine. I love my Bimmer but Why are they so finiky?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GTRTurbo; 08-21-2007 at 01:04 AM.
GTRTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
jvr826

My Ride: '05 330ci 6MT
I'm trying to do this wheel speed sensor test right now on a 2003 M3. We tested both fronts and got a 0 reading from each. If it's a valid reading, which I'm seriously doubting, wouldn't we have some idiot lights illuminated on the dash if both sensors were failing?

I fashioned a harness from some spare contacts I had that fit the pins well, so I'm sure we're getting a good connection to the sensor. I've also measured a steady voltage from my battery using the DVM, so it appears to be functioning correctly also.

Any help appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRTurbo View Post
Sorry, Dumb Question. Is there a picture of it and location of the plug anywhere?
The front plugs are in a black plastic box inside the fender well on the engine side. Open the box and look for the blue connector, at least it's blue on the 2003 M3 I'm looking at right now. Remove it from the box, disconnect it by pressing the button and pulling it apart.

Last edited by jvr826; 10-13-2007 at 05:29 PM.
jvr826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #14
grafiksguy

My Ride: 2010 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRTurbo View Post
Sorry, Dumb Question. Is there a picture of it and location of the plug anywhere? I used the Peak and couldn't read any errors but the ABS and DSC light is on and stay on. Another issue that I have had lately is that the tail light brake warning lights have came on 3 times and went out by themselves.. All lights were fine. I love my Bimmer but Why are they so finiky?

Thanks in advance.
As noted above, the cheaper code readers Peake, etc. can't read the more complex codes from the ABS systems so you won't be able to get any feedback. You can either try the volt meter DIY up above or take it to a dealer or Indy who has one of the more expensive readers to get a read on which wheel sensor is bad.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #15
cherokee

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
JVR826.
fyi there's a current limiting fuse inside your volt meter, i've had it blow before by measuring voltage with the leads plugged into the wrong holes.(the ones for mA measurment). overloaded the fuse and pfft. you can still read voltage even with a bad fuse due to a different circuit path through the meter. but current readings alwasy indicated incorrectly until i replaced this fuse. might check and make sure your fuse is good before ruling the sensors as failed. peace!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #16
jvr826

My Ride: '05 330ci 6MT
Thanks Cherokee. My DVM is a fairly inexpensive one. I need to upgrade it for sure.

We ended up removing and cleaning the two front sensors we checked since we were there anyway. They appeared quite dirty and had some minor metal shavings stuck to the magnets. A very spirited drive later, the problem seems twarted at this point. We do need to get at the rear ones and clean them too I think.

The issue surfaced last weekend at California Speedway HPDE. The driver experienced DSC kicking in at turn 9 (at the right/left/right/left/left combo) before entering the front straight on the oval. He'd brake hard after that infield straight, get DSC as he applied power to go thru the combination, and it would stay on thru that whole section. I wasn't in car with him, but his instructor confirmed it wasn't normal. Thing is, the car was fine on Saturday, but Sunday afternoon it started acting up.

I'm hoping the cleaning resolves the issue. We'll be at Thunderhill on Friday and I'll be able to ride along and see how it performs.

jvr826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #17
stadtler

My Ride: '02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
The front plugs are in a black plastic box inside the fender well on the engine side. Open the box and look for the blue connector, at least it's blue on the 2003 M3 I'm looking at right now. Remove it from the box, disconnect it by pressing the button and pulling it apart.

Anyone have a good description of where the rear sensors are? I shredded a tire last week and am experiencing all of the previously listed symptoms. I'm pretty confident that replacing the sensor will do the trick. Thanks in advance,
-A
stadtler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #18
sonspot

My Ride: 330I Spot/Prem/cold
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
Ouch on the labor.. these things are 1 hex screw and 2 minutes to replace, you can even do it w/o removing the wheel.
what are talking about, some of us spent 30 min to 1hr trying to take them out, sometimes they get stuck and you'll have to drill them out, other times it takes 2 min.

thanks
Old 11-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #19
SDpnoy

My Ride: 330Ci and M3
Quote:
Good info. Thanks.

Search and you will find
SDpnoy is offline   Reply With Quote