E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #1001
ferrarix99

My Ride: 87 325e - 05 M3 Vert
i just dissected it trying to see if i could soldier the damage, sorry it was severed though, not the wires inside just the outside of the wire, like the metal tube that is weaved around the multi colored inside wires, none of the internal wires were severed. sorry for the blunt description
Bimmerworld Epic Tune | OEM Euro Headers | CSL Brakes | B&B TriFlo | aFe SuperStock | PSS10 | Varrstoen TE37 | V1 | ZKW Lens Swap | Orion Golds
Want your car coded? PM me.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #1002
dens

My Ride: 08 BMW R56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The DICE is not seeing the iPod on the system, make sure the docking cable is seated firmly both on the iPod and DICE module.
Tom I have just checked to make sure the cable is seated firmly on both end. The ipod screen shows that its being charged. The NAV screen is still showing"speed dialing" on top and "DICE ELECT" on bottom. but still no music...
Old 07-13-2007, 02:57 AM   #1003
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarix99 View Post
i just dissected it trying to see if i could soldier the damage, sorry it was severed though, not the wires inside just the outside of the wire, like the metal tube that is weaved around the multi colored inside wires, none of the internal wires were severed. sorry for the blunt description
Sounds like you need a new docking cable - we offer these seperately on the site:

DICE BlackOut iPod Dock Connector Cable
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=232
Old 07-13-2007, 02:58 AM   #1004
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
Tom I have just checked to make sure the cable is seated firmly on both end. The ipod screen shows that its being charged. The NAV screen is still showing"speed dialing" on top and "DICE ELECT" on bottom. but still no music...
What iPod Generation and firmware are you using?

Perform the following steps to rid of the SPEED DIALING message:

1. First verify you are in the correct text mode by pressing CD6/TRACK6, then pressing CD1 to exit that mode.
2. Press MENU>GPS NAVIGATION>MAPS while playing a song on your iPod.

Use the screen toggle button (looks like 2 squares in the top left hand corner) to toggle between screens.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:17 AM   #1005
ferrarix99

My Ride: 87 325e - 05 M3 Vert
Quote:
Sounds like you need a new docking cable - we offer these seperately on the site:

DICE BlackOut iPod Dock Connector Cable
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=232
i just bought it 3 months ago, can you help me out?
Bimmerworld Epic Tune | OEM Euro Headers | CSL Brakes | B&B TriFlo | aFe SuperStock | PSS10 | Varrstoen TE37 | V1 | ZKW Lens Swap | Orion Golds
Want your car coded? PM me.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #1006
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarix99 View Post
i just bought it 3 months ago, can you help me out?
If it appears to be a product defect, not a problem. Please contact me by email with your full name and I will send instructions on how to return the cable.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #1007
VF-x

My Ride: 2001 330i
Hi Tom,

Are you (and your company) the manufacturers of DICE? I had one installed yesterday. It worked fine until today. My head unit no longer recognizes the existence of the DICE module. I've tried resetting my iPod (4G with 3.1.1 firmware), but no joy.

What else can I try to correct the problem? Is this a product defect?

Cheers
Old 07-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #1008
VF-x

OK... I've read the details from the rest of this thread, and it seems to have corrected itself after I disconnected the battery and reconnected it. I hope I don't have to make this a regular thing.

VF-x
Old 07-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #1009
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-x View Post
Hi Tom,

Are you (and your company) the manufacturers of DICE? I had one installed yesterday. It worked fine until today. My head unit no longer recognizes the existence of the DICE module. I've tried resetting my iPod (4G with 3.1.1 firmware), but no joy.

What else can I try to correct the problem? Is this a product defect?

Cheers
If the battery cables were not removed during installation, sometimes this happens on BMW models. Here's what I recommend:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if these steps correct the problem.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:17 AM   #1010
VF-x

Thanks for the info Tom. I'll keep that in mind the next time it happens. Can I expect it occur again? If so, what is the cause?

Cheers
Old 07-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #1011
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
Tom

I installed my DICE unit and it was working perfect until i switched to a different Ipod. Now the only thing that works are the volume controls on the steering wheel. I can still play music but i have to control it directly through the ipod. Miko
Old 07-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #1012
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-x View Post
Thanks for the info Tom. I'll keep that in mind the next time it happens. Can I expect it occur again? If so, what is the cause?

Cheers
Likely a configuration error - it shouldn't happen again.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #1013
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko_10 View Post
Tom

I installed my DICE unit and it was working perfect until i switched to a different Ipod. Now the only thing that works are the volume controls on the steering wheel. I can still play music but i have to control it directly through the ipod. Miko
Was the iPod plugged in while it was booting up? Disconnect the iPod and reboot by pressing on the MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds, then reconnect after you have Cickwheel control again.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #1014
dens

Quote:
What iPod Generation and firmware are you using?

Perform the following steps to rid of the SPEED DIALING message:

1. First verify you are in the correct text mode by pressing CD6/TRACK6, then pressing CD1 to exit that mode.
2. Press MENU>GPS NAVIGATION>MAPS while playing a song on your iPod.

Use the screen toggle button (looks like 2 squares in the top left hand corner) to toggle between screens.
Tom I have the 2nd generation 8Gb Nano with 1.1.3 version of firmware.

I have tried your two advices above, still not working.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #1015
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Tom I have the 2nd generation 8Gb Nano with 1.1.3 version of firmware.

I have tried your two advices above, still not working.
Are you in the correct text mode? You should be using the CD6/TRACK6 setting.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #1016
dens

Quote:
Are you in the correct text mode? You should be using the CD6/TRACK6 setting.
Yes I am in correct text mode, CD6 TRACK6. Then when I pressed CD5 TRACK1, The NAV screen is showing "---DICE ELECT" with no more"speed dialing" on top. But the music is not playing.

Should I change the dip switches position. In your manual it says"leave the dip switches in the default settig unless you have a Z4 or an X3"

Btw what do the dip switches do?
Old 07-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #1017
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Yes I am in correct text mode, CD6 TRACK6. Then when I pressed CD5 TRACK1, The NAV screen is showing "---DICE ELECT" with no more"speed dialing" on top. But the music is not playing.

Should I change the dip switches position. In your manual it says"leave the dip switches in the default settig unless you have a Z4 or an X3"

Btw what do the dip switches do?
DIP switches are not used in BMW applications, we typically leave them to off, which the exception of Z4/X3 which has a text speed issue. Try turning the switches all to OFF and testing again.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #1018
netengwiz

My Ride: E46 330i
Are the fuses typically easy to find? I blew mine unfortunately. I've never seen a blade type fuse this small.

|KW V2|Volk LE37T|Dinan|Eisenmann|Rädenergie|FormulaOne|Stoptech|Evospor t|Eibach|
2010 Audi Q5 Premium Plus S-Line|H&R|
2012 Ducati Streetfighter|Termignoni|DP|Lightech|Rizoma|
Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #1019
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by netengwiz View Post
Are the fuses typically easy to find? I blew mine unfortunately. I've never seen a blade type fuse this small.
It's a simple mini blade fuse - any auto parts store has it.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #1020
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
Quote:
Was the iPod plugged in while it was booting up? Disconnect the iPod and reboot by pressing on the MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds, then reconnect after you have Cickwheel control again.
I'm guessing when you say boot up is when it scrolls through the the ipod when it's first attached and the cd is selceted, no it wasn't. I tried the reboot, it didn't work. I never lost click control of the ipod..when I press the cd button I can select all the buttons, I can select CD1 through 6 It shows CD and a track#, I can change the track# using the steering control buttons but it doesn't change the song selection/playlist selection....help!!!!

Last edited by Miko_10; 07-16-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Closed Thread