E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 01:33 AM   #1
ALPINEMSIX

My Ride: Msix
Send a message via AIM to ALPINEMSIX
neck(trapezius) excersizes?

So the only trapezius/neck excersize i know is the "shoulder shrugs" where u take the dumb-bells and while holding them with ur arms straight u pull up and then back down again.

any other excersizes i can do?
Old 08-01-2007, 02:03 AM   #2
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
hello again

i do shoulder exercises for my shrugs, and i can feel that they work pretty good as an alternative to doing shrugs

ugh i'm horrible at explaining how to do this haha......
well i'll hold dumbbells on each side (20lbs for me) and raise them with my arms fully extended, not bent....
so you hold the weights where your hips are, and raise them to your sides, not to your front........ i lift them until my arms are level with my head, then back down

it works the shoulder primarily but i can def feel it in my traps the next day...
hope this helps to change things up a little.....
Old 08-01-2007, 02:43 AM   #3
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Traps were a weak point with me, and I wanted to get them to grow quick. Since hitting them hard for about 3 months now, I've seen great gains. I hit them 2-3 times a week. I will usually do a couple heavy days with a lot of sets (10-15) with reps around (8-15). I will throw in a light day for my traps with higher reps and less sets (5-8 sets/ 12-15 reps). I will always mix up my exercises. I will switch back and forth from dumbbell/barbell/machine shrugs. I will do behind the back shrugs once a week as well. I also incorporated a new exercise that my friend showed me. I would use an incline bench and lie facing the bench. Traps should be treated like calves; you need to hit them frequently, hard, and with many heavy sets/reps due to their fast recovery..... Hope this helps!
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
Dalton
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly

My Ride: goes wshh
Power Cleans work them pretty well.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
46_coupe

My Ride: is lame
Traps are probably my easiest stimulated muscle hands down. All I do are heavy shrugs and an array of cleans and they grew!

"As soon as you're born, you start dying, so you might as well have a good time" - Cake
46_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
User Name

My Ride: 330xi
Lateral raises, go as high as possible (i.e. past horizontal with the floor).
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
Quote:
Originally Posted by imola4.8isWA View Post
So the only trapezius/neck excersize i know is the "shoulder shrugs" where u take the dumb-bells and while holding them with ur arms straight u pull up and then back down again.

any other excersizes i can do?
Try switching from dumb bell shrugs to barbell shrugs.

Palms up, palms down, close grip, wide grip, arms straight, arms bent, bar in front of you, bar behind your back..etc...etc...etc....

Deadlift day is a good day to hit the traps too since you already have the bar loaded up HEAVY.

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:52 AM   #8
BrianJ1888

My Ride: 330i ZHP Imola Red
when I played football in HS, we had machines that were designed to work the neck muscles in 4 directions. it was basically a pad attached to a lever that you dropped plates on. you just pushed against it, raising the weights. 90lbs on that was standard. you could probably find this machine at a good gym.
BrianJ1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/BackWt.html

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote