E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
Turbopilot

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
What parts for projector fogs

Been thinking about doing a projector/HID fog setup. So far, the only projector fog housings I've found are on JLeviSW.com, and they appear to come pre-mounted in an elliptical housing designed to line up with an M3 or Mtech bumper. I have the standard sport bumper for a facelift coupe, which has round fog reflectors behind a dome-shaped cover.

Can I get "just" the projector piece itself to put behind the stock fog domes? If so, where? Otherwise, do I have to buy the Mtech piece and remove the projectors from the Mtech housing? Once that's done does the projector exactly replace the existing reflectors or do you need something else to make it fit?

On a side note, has anyone tried both the Prolumen and the Piccolo HID kits? Are the Prolumens really worth 73% more than the Piccolo?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
prolumens = lifetime warranty, piccolo = 1 year.

no one has tried to put projector fogs into the stock 04+ coupes bumper before. from what i can see on my old bumper, the fogs on the bumper is way too large for the projector fogs from jlevi to look correctly. you'd have to use some kind of custom projector and retrofit them in.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
I just got some apexcone HIDs for my fogs and they came with a lifetime warranty covering everything and they were $161....

might be worth looking into...

loving mine so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
those are for only mtech2
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
and the power of the bulb is not strong, i have em.
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
sillieidiot

for the projector fogs? the bulbs that are included with them are regular halogen bulbs. they don't do anything. put an HID kit and you will see the difference, without blinding others

Old 08-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
Turbopilot

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
no one has tried to put projector fogs into the stock 04+ coupes bumper before. from what i can see on my old bumper, the fogs on the bumper is way too large for the projector fogs from jlevi to look correctly. you'd have to use some kind of custom projector and retrofit them in.
Really? Wow, I thought the projector fogs were a really common mod.

Looking at the realoem.com diagrams of the M3 fogs and the 04+ fogs, they appear to be about the same size (not that that's a good way to tell). I actually would have thought from observing the two cars that the M3 fogs were bigger, if anything. Unfortunately it also looks like BMW only sells the projectors pre-assembled into that elliptical housing. What I guess I'll try to do is get a used pair of 04+ fogs and a set of the projectors and figure out a way to put the projectors into the coupe housings.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
I am sure that there is a way to retrofit the projectors into your stock housing but it will require some custom work on your part. You can take apart our projector fogs to make them fit.

I do recommend you go with an HID kit for your fogs whether you go with projectors or not. They are a great upgrade over the OEM halogens if you are looking for more light output towards the immediate road ahead.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Turbopilot

Custom work shouldn't be a problem depending on just what needs to be done. I can get plastic and metal fabricated pretty easily. My main concern was whether I could actually remove the projector from the Mtech housing, but it sounds like I can. I'm gonna try to find a set of used coupe fogs so I can work on them without driving around with holes in my bumper.

I'd definitely do the HIDs once I work out mounting the projectors, but I'm pretty picky about lighting and I'm of the opinion that HIDs should always be aimed by projectors. It's not even an issue of light output - we don't get much fog in the southeast and I probably would only use them like twice a year. But I like having the ability to use them, even if I almost never need to.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #10
sillieidiot

you can. it's easy, but i don't recommend using the mtech projector for your fogs. it's just too small. i retrofitted them into the OEM housing, and you can clearly see that they take up a little more than 1/3 of the space. i'm sure if you where to put it in those big fogs, it will look weird.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
Turbopilot

Do you have any pictures of your setup? All you can really see of the original fogs is the glass dome in front, and I would have thought that you wouldn't really be able to see the projector behind that dome either..
Old 08-25-2007, 02:08 AM   #12
sillieidiot

you can. cause the projector/glass lense is more noticeable. i don't have a picture but here is Alex323ci's shot:

i'll try to take a day picture for you. you can definitely notice it more during the day. it's all black then you see the glass lens.