E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #2001
3onDubs

My Ride: no
The front plate rule should only apply to crappy cars

but seriously, I think that for expensive cars (i.e. ferrari's, lambos, M5's, M6's, etc.), putting a front plate on should be considered a crime.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 PM   #2002
Y2kBimmer

My Ride: 2000 323i, 86 325e
Send a message via Yahoo to Y2kBimmer
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
The problem is that you can't read sarcasm. I haven't read enough of your posts to know how you act/interact. So when the first time that I notice you posting in here is you saying, "stupid chp." I'm going to take offense to it. If it actually was meant as a joke, then you should have put some sort of smiley face after it.
I apologize and didn't mean to offend you or anyone Law enforcement is no joke and they do a good job at protecting our country, and citizens. So thank you too all who are out there.

2000 323i and 86 325e
Y2kBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:42 PM   #2003
Y2kBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post

but seriously, I think that for expensive cars (i.e. ferrari's, lambos, M5's, M6's, etc.), putting a front plate on should be considered a crime.
Ya I know what your talking about lol, but my brother in law who is a cop (TRUE STORY NO B.S.) just pulled over someone last week for not having a front license plate, and also the car looked suspicious, and after he pulled over the car the passenger fled on foot and it was a foot pursuit, it turned out that the guy was wanted for many things. And all he was being pulled over for was for not having a front license plate, so its just part of there job.

2000 323i and 86 325e
Old 08-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #2004
Black107

My Ride: 2002 M3
For those on the Westside, SMPD is doing a run right now of ticketing 75 in 65's on the 10, and 55's in 45's on PCH. Its such a bummer to be running at the same speed with 7 or 8 other cars at night on the freeway, and then all of a sudden a black and white lion jumps out of the proverbial pampas grass and snags one.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #2005
Y2kBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
There is only so much you can expect the police to know about. Since the eyes are literally the window to the soul as far as drug and alcohol intoxication goes, it's tough to accept that they may be lying or misguiding you. Anyhow, although you feel harassed, the other option is for officers and deputies to not put people through the tests and to allow people to drive under the influence at the risk that you'll inconvenience someone or potentially hurt the feelings of someone with a rare condition. I know later on in the thread someone mentions that the easiest thing is to just let you blow in the PAS device right away so they'll know you weren't drinking, but people get DUI's for being under the influence of narcotics as well, so the PAS device is not the end all, be all.

Bottom line is that I'm sorry that you feel harassed. The officer went on what he saw and his training and experience, and sometimes that ends up being wrong. I'm sure it was nothing personal, and its not like you ended up going to jail for something you didn't do.

I was the one who posted that thing of just blowing into the breathalyzer, what you said is all true, my brother in law explained it the same way he is a cop, you can't believe everyone is telling the truth, and they have to take further steps into determining whether they are intoxicated or not, theres lots of tests to be performed before any law enforcement lets you back on the road what if he made a bad call and let you go and you end up hurting someone on the road, they are just making a good judgment.

2000 323i and 86 325e
Old 08-28-2007, 12:03 AM   #2006
iiilgsrlll

My Ride: C55 ////AMG
Send a message via AIM to iiilgsrlll
Not sure if this question has been asked in this thread.

Do motorcycle cops work after dusk? I rarely see them after the sun goes down but I do occassionally see them. TIA.

'05 Mercedes C55 AMG
Car: Alabaster White | Black Leather w/Birdseye Maple Trim | Lighting Package | NAV | Steel Carter Plate (Option 481)
Mods: KW V2 Coilovers | 19x8.5F/19x9.5R BBS LM | Toyo T1R Tires (235/35/19F 265/30/19R) | Euroteck CF Front Lip | Evosport Sidemarkers | Flat Hood Emblem

www.mymbonline.com
www.ling-ly.com
iiilgsrlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:32 AM   #2007
Mike Benvo
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Dinan E60 ///M5
Send a message via AIM to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiilgsrlll View Post
Not sure if this question has been asked in this thread.

Do motorcycle cops work after dusk? I rarely see them after the sun goes down but I do occassionally see them. TIA.
I'm not qualified to answer this question, but I believe they do work past dusk. I got pulled over in West LA a couple years ago past midnight by a motorcycle officer.

Frobie, still want those parts bro? It's been awhile .
Mike Benvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #2008
iiilgsrlll

My Ride: C55 ////AMG
Send a message via AIM to iiilgsrlll
Thanks Mike. I think I need to rephrase my question.

Is it more rare for motorcycle officers to be roaming past sunset? I've definitely seen them on the road once in a while but it is very rare. Do they prefer to hop in the cars past a certain time due to safety concerns?

'05 Mercedes C55 AMG
Car: Alabaster White | Black Leather w/Birdseye Maple Trim | Lighting Package | NAV | Steel Carter Plate (Option 481)
Mods: KW V2 Coilovers | 19x8.5F/19x9.5R BBS LM | Toyo T1R Tires (235/35/19F 265/30/19R) | Euroteck CF Front Lip | Evosport Sidemarkers | Flat Hood Emblem

www.mymbonline.com
www.ling-ly.com
iiilgsrlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #2009
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Thanks Mike. I think I need to rephrase my question.

Is it more rare for motorcycle officers to be roaming past sunset? I've definitely seen them on the road once in a while but it is very rare. Do they prefer to hop in the cars past a certain time due to safety concerns?
Typically they work during the day because their function is primarily for traffic related issues. Since most commuting happens during the daylight hours, that is when the most motor cops are out to do radar, write collision reports, etc. Typically motors working at night are part of a task force or directed patrol of some sort (at least in our area). Its rare to just see a regular motor cop performing regular motor cop duties once it gets later into the evening (say past 10pm or so). Part of that is certainly safety since they're more difficult to see then a car, and its harder for them to see what's on the roadway when it's dark (so better chance of them having a colission). the other reason is what I stated above about more people commuting in daylight.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #2010
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Frobie, still want those parts bro? It's been awhile .
I figured that by the time I had you send everything up here and I sent everything down there (or drove down to do an exchange) it'd be cheaper to pick it all up at the dealer with my BMWCCA discount. I got everything except for the homelink, but I don't really want to spend the money on that thing right now.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #2011
frobie15

Quote:
It is more rare, but every so often you'll still see them out that late. We (CHP) have our motor officers work only during the day and swing shift. No graveyards. It's for the reasons that OHC mentioned -- safety, focus of enforcement, etc. Plus, bikes are more maneuverable, so they can get through bumper to bumper traffic much, much faster than a car can.

Thank you Sam
Old 08-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #2012
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
For those on the Westside, SMPD is doing a run right now of ticketing 75 in 65's on the 10, and 55's in 45's on PCH. Its such a bummer to be running at the same speed with 7 or 8 other cars at night on the freeway, and then all of a sudden a black and white lion jumps out of the proverbial pampas grass and snags one.
75 on the freeway IS ten over. Ever since I started driving (only since 1994) I've been under the impression that if you want to avoid a ticket, stay under ten over. It's still a standard rule.

Now 55 in a 45 on PCH.... That's a different story. It's a Prima Facie speed limit, so the officer needs to be able to prove that 55 (which is the basic speed law) is unsafe. If you ask me, that's hard to prove on a roadway that's not residential and has multiple lanes in each direction. But again, keep it under ten over and you're fine, right?

Thank you Sam
Old 08-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #2013
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post
It would have been cool though if your 2000th post was the 2000th post on the thread....
Oh well. I haven't been as busy on here lately as I used to be. Maybe I can try to shoot for 3000/3000. That way I can be Mr. 3000!

Thank you Sam
Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #2014
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2kBimmer View Post
I apologize and didn't mean to offend you or anyone Law enforcement is no joke and they do a good job at protecting our country, and citizens. So thank you too all who are out there.
Apology excepted. Just be mindful of what you post. There are other people on this board who claim that they have relatives in law enforcement and yet they're the biggest cop bashers that I've seen. So you have to realize that just because you say that so-and-so is a PD officer it doesn't mean a thing when you post up anti-cop stuff.

Thank you Sam
Old 08-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #2015
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3man View Post
yea.. california should let this one go
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
I'm trying to figure out if the state will buy off on the fact that they could cut production costs of license plates nearly in half by only stamping one plate...

Thank you Sam
Old 08-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #2016
David328Ci
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch

My Ride: Pimpin '99 Sentra X(
Send a message via AIM to David328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
I'm trying to figure out if the state will buy off on the fact that they could cut production costs of license plates nearly in half by only stamping one plate...
Why would they want to do that when it gives local law enforcement a license to "tax" people whenever they feel necessary?
David328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #2017
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328Ci View Post
Why would they want to do that when it gives local law enforcement a license to "tax" people whenever they feel necessary?
The $10 fix-it ticket doesn't cover the cost of processing the paperwork. Besides, that is a county revenue, not state. The state struggles to make budget every year, if they could save money on the production costs, then I'm all for it!

Thank you Sam
Old 09-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #2018
SmoKeNfLY

My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
First off, I just want to thank you frobie15 for helping out all the members of the forum with their questions, now I have one of my own. I was out celebrating for my friends birthday and have to drive my gf to the airport early the next day. As I was heading nb on 101 I think I was doing at least 80 if not 90 trying to get home, but I didn't maintain that speed for more than maybe 1 minute and slowed down to around 70 but it was already too late and I saw the sirens behind me. The police officers(not chp) pulled me over and I was more than happy to oblige. When he gave me the ticket it said 110, now I'm not sure but if I remember correctly. If anyone is caught doing over 100, they're suppose to get 2 pts on their record and no possibility of traffic school even if they are eligible and an automatic license suspension. Correct me if I'm wrong and I hope I'm wrong. If that is the case then I will have to talk to a lawyer to see if there is anyway to reduce that violation. I know I shouldn't of been speeding in the first place but writing down 110 is a bit much. As far as the details of the ticket goes, I think he was pacing me because he crossed out the section where a number should be in the radar box. What are your thoughts on this matter, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #2019
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKeNfLY View Post
When he gave me the ticket it said 110, now I'm not sure but if I remember correctly. If anyone is caught doing over 100, they're suppose to get 2 pts on their record and no possibility of traffic school even if they are eligible and an automatic license suspension. Correct me if I'm wrong and I hope I'm wrong. If that is the case then I will have to talk to a lawyer to see if there is anyway to reduce that violation. What are your thoughts on this matter, any help would be greatly appreciated.
No problem, we're just glad to be able to help people (at least for the most part).

My thoughts on it are this. They wouldn't have written you for 110 unless they were sure that you were going 110. When you go to court (it's a mandatory appearance) the first time you'll have to enter your plea (guilty, not guilty, no contest). If you plea not guilty then you get your trial date set and the officer will be subpoenaed to show up. Basically you need to make sure that their speedometer was calibrated recently and that they have the record of the calibration with them in court. Also, try to put doubt in the mind of the judge as to the actual speed. If there is any way that you could make him think that you were at 99 then you'll get out of the ticket.

The normal fine is $700 plus court penalties. Which will make the total anywhere from $750 to $1500. And a thirty day suspension on your license. Plus I believe that it is two points without the possibility of traffic school.

Thank you Sam
Old 09-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #2020
SmoKeNfLY

My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
Didn't know you can calibrate your speedometer, that is good to know. But as far as calibrating the speedometer goes, how often is it done on a police cruiser? I don't understand how the police officer was able to put down I was going 110 when he said it himself he was going that fast to catch up to me. If I was going 110 as the ticket stated, wouldn't he have to be going faster than 110 to catch up to me? Another error in the ticket shows that the location for the traffic stop was on NB 101 at paul ave exit, but I was clearly heading SB 101. Can that information be used somehow to defend myself in court? It was in the AMs and my GF's car didn't have a plate because it was brand new. I was thinking that they might have gotten the wrong person because I sure as hell wasn't going 100+.

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa