E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
The Nebulizer

My Ride: LSB M3 & SC'd 325Ci
Turn signal problem

I recently got a 2002 M3 which has had some kind of headlight work done on it (poorly). The HID wires are routed over the metal brace behind the light.

Anyway, the front turn signals do not function, but the sides and rear blink extra fast. Any ideas what could be wrong or where I should start my investigation. I have no idea how the lights work. Could it just need a flash from the dealer by any chance? Maybe since the HIDs were added it needs a flash for some reason?

I would greatly appreciate any help as I am driving an illegal car at the moment.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:22 AM   #2
logikgr

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to logikgr
The fast blinking means that the load on the blinker circuit is too low (burned out/missing/unplugged bulb). Since both don't work, it sounds like they had the corners "deleted" (made to not function at 1/2 voltage) or are unplugged. Check the corner turn signals and make sure they're connected or for funny wiring (electrical tape, wire taps, etc.).

Just a couple of questions: Before buying the car, you didn't take the time to check that all the lights worked? Checked the hood out?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:17 AM   #3
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
what he said

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
The Nebulizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by logikgr View Post
The fast blinking means that the load on the blinker circuit is too low (burned out/missing/unplugged bulb). Since both don't work, it sounds like they had the corners "deleted" (made to not function at 1/2 voltage) or are unplugged. Check the corner turn signals and make sure they're connected or for funny wiring (electrical tape, wire taps, etc.).

Just a couple of questions: Before buying the car, you didn't take the time to check that all the lights worked? Checked the hood out?
Thanks for the tips.
I knew the turn signals were not working before I bought it, but it was out of state so I was not able to inspect it further myself to get an idea what was the problem. I had a 3rd party inspection that found this out and did a thorough inspection of the car. I should be able to get it fixed for free (sellers expense) at local dealer under 15 day warranty if it is anything significant, but I was hoping there was a simple solution as you suggest that I could do on my own.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
The Nebulizer

Yep, bad wiring.
They had tapped into the voltage from the turn signals to power angel eyes. And, actually those were the wires that were going over the metal brace behind the lights. I cut the wires and the turn signals work fine.

The lights are a mess though. They added HID, but just have them floating in the housing. What is the proper way to mount these? Can you put them in the old brackets (they are still in the engine compartment as that is where the power is coming from :p )

Fortunately, the lights are the only thing the previous owner got his hands on.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
logikgr

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to logikgr
"They added HID, but just have them floating in the housing."

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean that the capsule (bulb) is not secured, stationary? Can you upload some pictures?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
The Nebulizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by logikgr View Post
"They added HID, but just have them floating in the housing."

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean that the capsule (bulb) is not secured, stationary? Can you upload some pictures?
Yeah, that is exactly what I mean - they just stuck the bulb (and small assembly) through the hole where the previous light assembly was and it is free to bounce around. I'll try to get some images up soon when I get a chance to tackle this job. This weekend got away from me...