E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
Stryk3r

My Ride: 2003 325i Sedan
Lighting upgrade for my '03 325i Sedan

I just bought my first BMW 2 months ago, and boy am I glad I did. I found these forums and they have been a great deal of help, I already replaced all my HK speakers myself with BSW upgrade and did a DIY install on a AVIC-Z2, with IPOD adapter, Bluetooth, and a SWI-PS from an install guide which I found on this site. I am very DIY oriented and am looking at nowlooking at upgrading my whole front lighting system and have some questions.

I have read and searched through a lot of posts and have learned a lot, I guess I just want some clarification before I make my final decision. I got OEM Halogens on the car. I believe I have a facelifted Sedan, and since I have halogens I guess I need to get projectors(not interested in conversion), but is it easier to go Xenon and keep my Halgons for my highs? or go Bi-Xenon?I will also want Angel Eyes and hear there are lots of $80 kits on ebay that are instersting me, anyone have any seller referrals? Also I would like to get clear corners, will I have to replace my front turn lights as well if I go clear? or are the lights under the ambers clear already? I woudl also like to replace my fogs I guess to match the HID anything special I should be looking for? Lastly I read about adaptive headlights but heard they were only on option on the coupes, is it possible to replace the ones I have with adaptives from a coupe? How hard is that? what parts woudl need to be swapped, is it even worth it in the end? I figure if I am going to do all the work myself, I might as well do it all at once.

I am probably going to get the parts on EBAY as that's what I always do and have done for years. I live in Canada and a lot of time buying from retailers costs me a mint when crossing teh border where on ebay I usually have less problems with customs charges for some reason. But I just need to make sure I order all the parts I need for the whole project at once, so I can replace everything over a weekend. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Stryk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
logikgr

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to logikgr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryk3r View Post
I just bought my first BMW 2 months ago, and boy am I glad I did. I found these forums and they have been a great deal of help, I already replaced all my HK speakers myself with BSW upgrade and did a DIY install on a AVIC-Z2, with IPOD adapter, Bluetooth, and a SWI-PS from an install guide which I found on this site. I am very DIY oriented and am looking at nowlooking at upgrading my whole front lighting system and have some questions.

I have read and searched through a lot of posts and have learned a lot, I guess I just want some clarification before I make my final decision. I got OEM Halogens on the car. I believe I have a facelifted Sedan, and since I have halogens I guess I need to get projectors(not interested in conversion), but is it easier to go Xenon and keep my Halgons for my highs? or go Bi-Xenon?I will also want Angel Eyes and hear there are lots of $80 kits on ebay that are instersting me, anyone have any seller referrals? Also I would like to get clear corners, will I have to replace my front turn lights as well if I go clear? or are the lights under the ambers clear already? I woudl also like to replace my fogs I guess to match the HID anything special I should be looking for? Lastly I read about adaptive headlights but heard they were only on option on the coupes, is it possible to replace the ones I have with adaptives from a coupe? How hard is that? what parts woudl need to be swapped, is it even worth it in the end? I figure if I am going to do all the work myself, I might as well do it all at once.

I am probably going to get the parts on EBAY as that's what I always do and have done for years. I live in Canada and a lot of time buying from retailers costs me a mint when crossing teh border where on ebay I usually have less problems with customs charges for some reason. But I just need to make sure I order all the parts I need for the whole project at once, so I can replace everything over a weekend. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Hello, and welcome!

O.K. let me just tell you that there's a possibility that I might be wrong on some details, since I own a pre-facelift, other fanatics will let me know. I'll answer your questions in the order you asked.

1. I believe I have a facelifted Sedan, and since I have halogens I guess I need to get projectors(not interested in conversion), but is it easier to go Xenon and keep my Halgons for my highs? or go Bi-Xenon?

For going projector HID (xenon), you have two options :
a. OEM (Standard/Bi) : For Bi-Xenon, you will have to do some wiring to get it to work right.
b. Aftermarket (Standard only AFAIK).

Either way, you will encounter the LCM bulb out warning. You have several options to deal with this problem:
a. Reflash/LCM Reprogram for HID: consequences: you lose the push-forward ON function of the high-beams.
b. Replace OEM ballasts with digital ballasts: don't know much about this, you can read some more into it.
c. Resistor pack: puts on the right load on the headlight circuit, which "tricks" the LCM into "thinking" all is well.
d. Capacitor harness: smooths out the LCM bulb pulse check which tricks the LCM into thinking everything's ok.
e. Do nothing: live with the bulb out warning, and possibly some HID flicker.
2. I will also want Angel Eyes and hear there are lots of $80 kits on ebay that are instersting me, anyone have any seller referrals?

If you go aftermarket standard xenon, you can purchase the whole headlight assembly with the eyes in there. The P46 kit with built-in angel eyes, from JLeviSW, is pretty popular here. Runs a little over $700 for the whole thing, with Lifetime Warranty on all parts (double check that).

If you go OEM, you will have to buy an angel eyes kit. The most popular I believe is the Predator Chromium kit, which runs for about $200, with lifetime warranty. Many people here have also purchased (CCFL) AE kits from eBay and are very happy with them. So, if you go that way, you might wanna ask the vendor for info on warranty of the product, referrals or search some threads in the forum. Another thing, you will also need to "bake" your headlights in order to install the AE kit, lots of info on available on "baking headlights".

3. Also I would like to get clear corners, will I have to replace my front turn lights as well if I go clear? or are the lights under the ambers clear already?
I'm not sure, but I think you do have to replace your front corners with OEM or AM, or bake them to remove the amber thing. Not 100% on it.

4. I woudl also like to replace my fogs I guess to match the HID anything special I should be looking for?

Depends on which kind of color temp you choose for your headlights. If you go with the stock: 4300k (white), you can closely, but not exactly, match that color with Halogens. Otherwise, you'll have to go with HID fogs. If you go 6000k (pure white/blueish) and you want your fogs to match your headlights, you will have to go with HID fogs.

5. Lastly I read about adaptive headlights but heard they were only on option on the coupes, is it possible to replace the ones I have with adaptives from a coupe? How hard is that? what parts woudl need to be swapped, is it even worth it in the end?

I'm not 100% sure on the do-ability of this one, the only thing that I'm sure about it, is that it would cost you a pretty penny. Something like $1000+ USD. I recommend you test drive a car with adaptive headlights and see for yourself if it's something you really want, and are willing to put the effort and money to retrofit. I have read that they're not all that snazzy.

You should check this site out:

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/store/

You don't have to buy from there, but they have some great information on stuff, especially on what fits/does not fit your car and stuff.

One last thing, once you get your HIDs installed, make SURE to level them. It's people with unleveled HIDs that give HID bad reputation. :-)

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
I would like to add a few things that logikgr left out.

For #1, a. Reflash/LCM Reprogram for HID: consequences: you lose the push-forward ON function of the high-beams.

If you decide to reflash your LCM from the dealer for your OEM Bi-Xenon unit, you can do a little more wiring to get the Bi-Xenon function to work (i.e. opening the shutter in the low beams when you push the stalk forward to let more light out) you can do that through Scott's DIY

For #2, If you go aftermarket standard xenon, you can purchase the whole headlight assembly with the eyes in there. The P46 kit with built-in angel eyes, from JLeviSW, is pretty popular here. Runs a little over $700 for the whole thing, with Lifetime Warranty on all parts (double check that).

Everything is warrantied lifetime EXCEPT the bulbs which have a 1 year warranty

Another thing, you will also need to "bake" your headlights in order to install the AE kit, lots of info on available on "baking headlights".

You WILL NOT need to bake your headlights. Only facelifted coupes are required to do this, you have a facelifted sedan so you are fine.

For #3, I'm not sure, but I think you do have to replace your front corners with OEM or AM, or bake them to remove the amber thing. Not 100% on it.

You just have to replace the housing. You can take the bulbs our and switch. Typically aftermarket corners come with their own bulbs and bulb sockets. You may want to replace the bulbs anyways, else the amber bulbs will produce the "yolk effect"

For #4, Depends on which kind of color temp you choose for your headlights. If you go with the stock: 4300k (white), you can closely, but not exactly, match that color with Halogens. Otherwise, you'll have to go with HID fogs. If you go 6000k (pure white/blueish) and you want your fogs to match your headlights, you will have to go with HID fogs.

Remember, for those you'll have to buy an HID conversion kit for you fogs to get them to match your headlights. Otherwise you can buy some aftermarket blue tinted halogens

For #5, I'm not 100% sure on the do-ability of this one, the only thing that I'm sure about it, is that it would cost you a pretty penny. Something like $1000+ USD. I recommend you test drive a car with adaptive headlights and see for yourself if it's something you really want, and are willing to put the effort and money to retrofit. I have read that they're not all that snazzy.

I completely agree, if you have HID fogs. If not, then you will notice the difference. So that's like your way around that i guess. But he is correct, it will cost you a lot of $$$ to get it to work. You can use that money elsewhere

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
haggisuk

My Ride: 2002 320ise
Nice info.....sticky????
haggisuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
Stryk3r

First off thanks for the wealth of info and quick response. Sounds to me like Bi-Xenon is a pain in the butt and I think I will just go AfterMarket Xenon. So next question, can I use the Halogens I have now in the Xenon projectors for my highs? I think I will go with the 6k HIDs and matching HID fogs, sounds like the adaptive mod would be way to expensive to bother if HID fogs will make up for it. For the HID fogs, is it better to buy HID Fog Projectors? or just mod the halogens to take HID Fogs? I'd rather have the set matching with 6k HID's all around and clear corners.

Again I'd rather buy the parts on ebay cause they are like half the price of the sponsors, and I'd like to do this for as little as possible as I need to get some winter tires to boot and don't want to break to bank, but if there was a special or sale on getting thw whole kit from the sponsors that wasn't double the ebay price I would definetly consider buying from them.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
sillieidiot

First off thanks for the wealth of info and quick response. Sounds to me like Bi-Xenon is a pain in the butt and I think I will just go AfterMarket Xenon. So next question, can I use the Halogens I have now in the Xenon projectors for my highs?

For your MY, if you decide to reflash, you will still lose the highbeam function (halogen highs). otherwise you can choose any of the other options that logikgr provided and you can keep it. Honestly, It's not that much more work for wiring the Bi-Xenon function. I've done it with my OEM retrofit for my old sedan, same MY as yours.

I think I will go with the 6k HIDs and matching HID fogs, sounds like the adaptive mod would be way to expensive to bother if HID fogs will make up for it. For the HID fogs, is it better to buy HID Fog Projectors? or just mod the halogens to take HID Fogs? I'd rather have the set matching with 6k HID's all around and clear corners.

Do you already have an Mtech II bumper installed? If not, then the projector fogs will not fit in your current foglight housing. So the only way to go is straight connect from the kit.

Again I'd rather buy the parts on ebay cause they are like half the price of the sponsors, and I'd like to do this for as little as possible as I need to get some winter tires to boot and don't want to break to bank, but if there was a special or sale on getting thw whole kit from the sponsors that wasn't double the ebay price I would definetly consider buying from them.

I guess you should start searching on ebay. You're paying for the superb customer service and often times, lifetime warranty on the their products if you get from our sponsors.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
Stryk3r

For your MY, if you decide to reflash, you will still lose the highbeam function (halogen highs). otherwise you can choose any of the other options that logikgr provided and you can keep it. Honestly, It's not that much more work for wiring the Bi-Xenon function. I've done it with my OEM retrofit for my old sedan, same MY as yours.

Now that you said that I looked on ebay quick, and I only seem to find people selling half a bi-xenon setup on ebay? From what I see there is not a lot of options to get a full set of Bi-Xenons... they only have passenger side or driver side, I supposed it's for replacement. The ones that were a full set didn't come with the housing like I see in the AM P46 kits, will the Bi-Xenon's fit in my stock Halogen housing? If not, where could I get a price on a PAIR of Bi-Xenons with housing and Angel Eyes for my MY? Also for the price, it seems that that the regular Aftermarket Xenons are the better deal, I don't really use my highs much and since it looks like I could just reuse my Halogen bulbs I'm thinking forget flashing from the stealership, and just use the resistors or caps to bypass the issue, I'm handy enough to do any wiring required.

Do you already have an Mtech II bumper installed? If not, then the projector fogs will not fit in your current foglight housing. So the only way to go is straight connect from the kit.

No I have the stock bumper still on the car, so pardon my ignorance but what does "straight connect from the kit mean?" Do I just buy bulbs and plug them into my current housing? Will HID bulbs work in my current halogen sockets? will I need anything other then bulbs for the fogs like special ballasts?do I need to mod the housing? All the Projector fogs on ebay seem to be for coupes or M3's and I am guessing that these won't fit into my stock body sedan....

I guess you should start searching on ebay. You're paying for the superb customer service and often times, lifetime warranty on the their products if you get from our sponsors.

Do the sponsors have any deals on multiple purachase packages or something? Like if I decided to buy the Projectors, bulbs, Angel Eyes, HID fogs, Clear corners and bulbs, plus some 17" winter tires etc all in a package could I get a discount? Do you have groups buys or specials at certain times that would make it worth waiting a couple weeks/months and save a few hundred bucks?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #8
sillieidiot

Now that you said that I looked on ebay quick, and I only seem to find people selling half a bi-xenon setup on ebay? From what I see there is not a lot of options to get a full set of Bi-Xenons... they only have passenger side or driver side, I supposed it's for replacement. The ones that were a full set didn't come with the housing like I see in the AM P46 kits, will the Bi-Xenon's fit in my stock Halogen housing? If not, where could I get a price on a PAIR of Bi-Xenons with housing and Angel Eyes for my MY? Also for the price, it seems that that the regular Aftermarket Xenons are the better deal, I don't really use my highs much and since it looks like I could just reuse my Halogen bulbs I'm thinking forget flashing from the stealership, and just use the resistors or caps to bypass the issue, I'm handy enough to do any wiring required.

Well you can go ahead and just buy one side, and then buy the other. It is still cheaper than buying the OEM set from the dealers. Just make sure they have all the clips, none broken. And check to see if they come with bulbs, ballasts, and igniters, to save you some trouble of finding them yourself.

Otherwise, you should go ahead and get the aftermarket kits. The reason they are cheaper, is that their quality isn't as great as OEM, and on ebay, it's a hit or miss on which is the better one to get.

No I have the stock bumper still on the car, so pardon my ignorance but what does "straight connect from the kit mean?" Do I just buy bulbs and plug them into my current housing? Will HID bulbs work in my current halogen sockets? will I need anything other then bulbs for the fogs like special ballasts?do I need to mod the housing? All the Projector fogs on ebay seem to be for coupes or M3's and I am guessing that these won't fit into my stock body sedan....

Yea I meant they will be plug N play. Just get the right size bulb and it should be a straight replacement of the bulb. Then just connect the wires accordingly. If you get an HID conversion kit, everything will be included (ballasts/igniter/bulbs). You are correct, the projector fogs will not fit.

Do the sponsors have any deals on multiple purachase packages or something? Like if I decided to buy the Projectors, bulbs, Angel Eyes, HID fogs, Clear corners and bulbs, plus some 17" winter tires etc all in a package could I get a discount? Do you have groups buys or specials at certain times that would make it worth waiting a couple weeks/months and save a few hundred bucks?

You'll have to contact them to see if they can give you some sort of discount. I recommend Jlevisw.com or Modbargains.com. If you go with aftermarket, P46's are the way to go, includes (bulbs, HIDs, angels, and projectors all in one).

Old 09-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Wow NICE posts guys...anyone need a job

To the original poster...these guys have it covered for ya...I would recommend going with our Projector46 headlights as a complete solution. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns!
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #10
sillieidiot

i need a job lol too bad you guys don't have stay at home positions.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 PM   #11
Stryk3r

Thanks for all your help, you were all very helpful. I sent Nick a PM for some pricing info.

Cheers