E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
The Nebulizer

My Ride: LSB M3 & SC'd 325Ci
my HIDs need projectors

I recently got a 2002 M3 with a really crummy HID install. (I mean really crummy - duct tape etc.) From reading several posts here it seems I need projectors to get the HID to focus properly. (Right now they are pointing down in the reflector housing and stray light is going everywhere).

What options do I have for a relatively cheap upgrade to a projector housing using the HID I have.
(I currently have dual reflector housings in pre-facelift (M3) headlight). I already have some angel eyes, so I don't really need a set with those included for the extra cost.

Do I need to know what brand HID I have? I can't find any label, but maybe a picture would help? (I can post this later if needed)

Thanks for any help you can give me. I am just now learning about all this lighting technology.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
The Nebulizer

Is this what I need?

Bosch e46 ECE Projectors:

How would I install that? Does that go in place of the reflector or inside it or what? Do I need another piece?

Last edited by The Nebulizer; 09-12-2007 at 04:55 PM.
The Nebulizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
You could look on eBay and see if you can get the OEM Xenon headlights for a decent price.

Edit - This link should help: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=484614

Last edited by russ330; 09-12-2007 at 05:23 PM.
russ330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
The Nebulizer

I suppose I need all of this actually, right? (Again, I have the actually HID already, just not mounted properly as I have reflectors.)

These are single xenon, right?
(I am getting so confused by all this terminology - but the High Beams are just reflectors so xenon, right?)

And, these would work in a '02 M3?
I'd only be missing the round decorative trim around the projector.

Am I understanding all of this. Please help me as I am really lost.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
russ330
Mod Squad

The ones you just posted are actually bi-xenon projectors (you can tell by the horizontal line in the middle of the projector). You may not necessarily be able to reuse the HID kit you have now with new projectors, because I'm not sure if the bulbs would fit. The HID kit you have should be an H7 (bulb size/fitting) D2R (designed for reflector housings), where as stock projectors would use D2S (for projectors) I don't quite remember what the socket (i.e. H7, 9006, etc).
Old 09-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
The Nebulizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
The ones you just posted are actually bi-xenon projectors (you can tell by the horizontal line in the middle of the projector). You may not necessarily be able to reuse the HID kit you have now with new projectors, because I'm not sure if the bulbs would fit. The HID kit you have should be an H7 (bulb size/fitting) D2R (designed for reflector housings), where as stock projectors would use D2S (for projectors) I don't quite remember what the socket (i.e. H7, 9006, etc).
I checked the bulb and it looks like the D2S kind of bulb - from what little I know. It has a metal piece that is round with a single tab. I believe H7 has 2 tabs.

So, I couldn't use this Bi-Xenon projector setup, then?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
russ330
Mod Squad

Well looking at the thread that I posted it looks like retrofitting the projectors into the car is do-able, the problem is using your HID kit with the projectors. I suppose you could get new bulbs for your kit (they usually run about $100).

So if you tally up the prices for new bulbs ($100), the chrome projector bezels ($150), the projectors (including the bracket with the high beam assembly) ($150), you're well on your way to purchasing a set of OEM headlights.

Now granted with the exception of the bulbs I pulled the prices right off of eBay (using the first ones I found) so you may be able to find things cheaper if you shop around. I just wanted you to be aware of what you may be getting into and what type of prices you may be looking at.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
I would honestly recommend a complete headlight replacement like our Projector46 headlights. These are comprehensive in that they include everything you need for the install and provided your current HID kit is H7 and undamaged, it could be retrofitted into the Projector housing. These also include preinstalled and built in Predator series angel eyes so you get the added benefit of a cosmetic upgrade.

Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #9
m3m3me

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
I would honestly recommend a complete headlight replacement like our Projector46 headlights. These are comprehensive in that they include everything you need for the install and provided your current HID kit is H7 and undamaged, it could be retrofitted into the Projector housing. These also include preinstalled and built in Predator series angel eyes so you get the added benefit of a cosmetic upgrade.

[IMG]http://jlevistreetwerks.com/store/images/p46%20sedan.jpg
P46s Rock! I converted my inside HIDs into bi-xenons! You Can Do It!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2469161760_ORIG.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	242161   Click image for larger version

Name:	2364710536_ORIG.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	242162  
Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 AM   #10
HighVoltage

My Ride: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
Well looking at the thread that I posted it looks like retrofitting the projectors into the car is do-able, the problem is using your HID kit with the projectors. I suppose you could get new bulbs for your kit (they usually run about $100).

So if you tally up the prices for new bulbs ($100), the chrome projector bezels ($150), the projectors (including the bracket with the high beam assembly) ($150), you're well on your way to purchasing a set of OEM headlights.

Now granted with the exception of the bulbs I pulled the prices right off of eBay (using the first ones I found) so you may be able to find things cheaper if you shop around. I just wanted you to be aware of what you may be getting into and what type of prices you may be looking at.
Theres also the problem that if he is using the halogen housings he will also have to get a couple small misc pieces to properly mount those reflector bowls, in addition to the items you listed. Heres a link outlining those pieces:

http://www.mybimmer.net/OptimoXenonR...onRetrofit.htm

Also it seems the bi-xenon mechansim requires a bit more room in the housing than the halogen or regular xenon . So you either have to remove the bi-xenon mechanism or hack up the housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Actually that could be kind of a problem Nick. He already has angel eyes and would in effect be paying for another pair. Unless I am mistaken, he should also be aware that the projector46s are not bi-xenon. I dont know about The Nebulizer, but these are two things that have held me back from purchasing the projector46s.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #11
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Most of our customers who currently have angel eyes sell them in the classifieds and use that towards the purchase of the P46s. Bixenons are also a bit more difficult to retrofit as you need to run the extra wiring and reprogram the ECU.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote