E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:14 AM   #2081
mkodama
Registered User
 
mkodama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 33,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Thank you! And it was kind of the idea behind the thread in the first place.


I don't know if there's anything that you can do. When you say very, very bad crash that leads me to think that the car was almost totaled. Which should have showed up on a carfax report. I would suggest calling the place where you bought the car from and seeing what they say. Other than that, talk to a liar, oops, I mean lawyer.

On a side note (not a personal attack; just an observation), it seems as though no one knows how to inspect a car on their own anymore. No one knows how to check for damage, etc. It used to be that you could always find out stuff like this on your own. Using magnets and what not to check for body filler. Stuff like that...
Yeah, car should have been totaled but didn't mention any crash on carfax. But you should see how cleverly some repair shop fixed this car. Alignment was setup to cancel out the bent steering pieces, bondo was used in only thin amounts, etc... What's this on using magnets and to check for things? I honestly have no clue how to check a car for damage. Thanks for the response by the way.
__________________

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:20 AM   #2082
deafboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Blaine, WA
Posts: 26,609
My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Thank you! And it was kind of the idea behind the thread in the first place.


I don't know if there's anything that you can do. When you say very, very bad crash that leads me to think that the car was almost totaled. Which should have showed up on a carfax report. I would suggest calling the place where you bought the car from and seeing what they say. Other than that, talk to a liar, oops, I mean lawyer.

On a side note (not a personal attack; just an observation), it seems as though no one knows how to inspect a car on their own anymore. No one knows how to check for damage, etc. It used to be that you could always find out stuff like this on your own. Using magnets and what not to check for body filler. Stuff like that...
the old magnet trick doesnt even work anymore now that everything is plastic/fiberglass/CF/etc...with newer aged cars that is...

but good advice
__________________
-Cole aka bigtall*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #2083
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Yeah, car should have been totaled but didn't mention any crash on carfax. But you should see how cleverly some repair shop fixed this car. Alignment was setup to cancel out the bent steering pieces, bondo was used in only thin amounts, etc... What's this on using magnets and to check for things? I honestly have no clue how to check a car for damage. Thanks for the response by the way.
The magnet trick is this. Take a piece of notebook paper (so as to not scratch paint) and a fairly weak magnet. A kitchen magnet may work. Attempt to stick the magnet to the quarter panel of your car with the piece of paper between the magnet and the car. If there's no body filler, then the magnet will stick. Walk around the car and do the same thing every foot or so on pieces that you know are metal. If you find a spot that the magnet doesn't stick, then be skeptical. Check your body gaps. They should be pretty close to identical the entire way around the car. Stuff like that.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #2084
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,745
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post
the old magnet trick doesnt even work anymore now that everything is plastic/fiberglass/CF/etc...with newer aged cars that is...

but good advice
There's plenty of metal to work with on most cars. And if it's not metal, well, maybe have an indie shop look at the car.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #2085
Cecil328i
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,340
My Ride: 2000 328i
So last month I was pulled over and got a $75 ticket for no registration, but that same day is when I got my new sticker/tag for my license plate but the registration had not come yet in the mail. I have the registration now and tomorrow is my court date. Will the ticket be dropped upon showing proof of registration?
__________________
Cecil328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #2086
3onDubs
Registered User
 
3onDubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: yes
Posts: 6,884
My Ride: no
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil328i View Post
So last month I was pulled over and got a $75 ticket for no registration, but that same day is when I got my new sticker/tag for my license plate but the registration had not come yet in the mail. I have the registration now and tomorrow is my court date. Will the ticket be dropped upon showing proof of registration?
Only if the date of the violation is included on that registration....(i.e your registration is from: A to: B), as long as you got the ticket on or after A, you'll be fine.
__________________
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #2087
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
Only if the date of the violation is included on that registration....(i.e your registration is from: A to: B), as long as you got the ticket on or after A, you'll be fine.

Agreed with this one...you may be subject to a court admin fee since technically you were still required to have the correct tags on your car (per 5204 vc)
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #2088
Cecil328i
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,340
My Ride: 2000 328i
9/4/07 vs arrest date of 9/7/07
__________________
Cecil328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #2089
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil328i View Post
9/4/07 vs arrest date of 9/7/07
So you did have valid registration at the time you were stopped, but didn't have proof...Should just need to submit proof and pay and admin fee. Go to the traffic window at the court and see if they can take care of it for you there...
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #2090
Cecil328i
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,340
My Ride: 2000 328i
I dunno how CA's laws are, but we have to put a valid sticker on our tags on the lower right hand corner with the last two digits of the year. So I had my 08 sticker put on that day when I met my mom at the doctor(I'm in college and had a doctor's appointment in another city). But apparently, the registration was also on the paper that the sticker was, but I was careless and my mom didn't realize the new registration was on there. Anyway, I had the current registration that day but not with me. Officer was nice, though, and offered to 'work something out if I showed up.'
__________________
Cecil328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #2091
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil328i View Post
I dunno how CA's laws are, but we have to put a valid sticker on our tags on the lower right hand corner with the last two digits of the year. So I had my 08 sticker put on that day when I met my mom at the doctor(I'm in college and had a doctor's appointment in another city). But apparently, the registration was also on the paper that the sticker was, but I was careless and my mom didn't realize the new registration was on there. Anyway, I had the current registration that day but not with me. Officer was nice, though, and offered to 'work something out if I showed up.'
Well, not sure how it works for you guys over there...

I do know that iif I ever told someone I cited or arrested that we'd "work something out", I'd probably be fired...just sounds wrong
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #2092
3onDubs
Registered User
 
3onDubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: yes
Posts: 6,884
My Ride: no
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
So you did have valid registration at the time you were stopped, but didn't have proof...Should just need to submit proof and pay and admin fee. Go to the traffic window at the court and see if they can take care of it for you there...
But make sure you go before 8 am (just in case they say you need to see a judge....so you don't waste a trip)
__________________
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #2093
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
But make sure you go before 8 am (just in case they say you need to see a judge....so you don't waste a trip)
I didn't realize he was out of state before...now I have no idea how the courts work there....
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #2094
3onDubs
Registered User
 
3onDubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: yes
Posts: 6,884
My Ride: no
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
I didn't realize he was out of state before...now I have no idea how the courts work there....
This is true...I just assumed because it was in the regional section
__________________
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #2095
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
This is true...I just assumed because it was in the regional section
Me too...damn outsiders...
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:16 PM   #2096
Cecil328i
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,340
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Well, not sure how it works for you guys over there...

I do know that iif I ever told someone I cited or arrested that we'd "work something out", I'd probably be fired...just sounds wrong

nah i mean in the context the officer said it, it was you have a clean record and stuff, so if you just show up to court, he'd reduce it for the simple act of me complying.
__________________
Cecil328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #2097
CiRaceTechnik
If I was a drug, Id be DOPE
 
CiRaceTechnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: USC %SOCAL
Posts: 1,167
My Ride: E46.ZHP
Send a message via AIM to CiRaceTechnik
Q: I was talking to some of my friends about racing harnesses. Most of them say that racing harnesses are basically overall street illegal in california, but I have a couple of them who have said that certain harnesses, such as one of the Schroth series which are FIA approved are street legal? Can you confirm? Thanks!
__________________

Falken Tires | Function & Form Suspension | Meguiars
CiRaceTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #2098
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiRaceTechnik View Post
Q: I was talking to some of my friends about racing harnesses. Most of them say that racing harnesses are basically overall street illegal in california, but I have a couple of them who have said that certain harnesses, such as one of the Schroth series which are FIA approved are street legal? Can you confirm? Thanks!
Frankly, I'm not sure...I'm assuming they would need to be DOT approved...maybe Frobie knows. I'll check out some of my traffic enforcement cheaters and see if I can come up w/ any info
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #2099
CiRaceTechnik
If I was a drug, Id be DOPE
 
CiRaceTechnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: USC %SOCAL
Posts: 1,167
My Ride: E46.ZHP
Send a message via AIM to CiRaceTechnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Frankly, I'm not sure...I'm assuming they would need to be DOT approved...maybe Frobie knows. I'll check out some of my traffic enforcement cheaters and see if I can come up w/ any info
oops i meant DOT approved!
__________________

Falken Tires | Function & Form Suspension | Meguiars
CiRaceTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #2100
BobDoe3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 7
My Ride: 325ci
Hey OHCM3 or Frobie,

I was wondering what color can the front, side, and rear signals be? I've seen newer cars with red signal tails and sidemarkers.

Also, are extendable batons illegal to have in person? And what is the talk about having a bat in the car?

Thanks
BobDoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use