E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 77 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #21
luckysnafu

My Ride: e90 330i|87 328(m52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikhkd View Post
does anyone know of a way to change the battery and reset the key without having to use another key?
Why do you need another key to reset the one you replaced the battery in? You just stick it in the ignition, turn it to the on position, remove it within 5 seconds, then hold the unlock button down and press the lock button 3 times within 10 seconds and release both buttons. The doors should lock/unlock to give you confirmation and your key should work. You do not need another key in order to do this. If it doesn't work the first time, try again, it should work.
luckysnafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #22
zikhkd

My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnafu View Post
Why do you need another key to reset the one you replaced the battery in? You just stick it in the ignition, turn it to the on position, remove it within 5 seconds, then hold the unlock button down and press the lock button 3 times within 10 seconds and release both buttons. The doors should lock/unlock to give you confirmation and your key should work. You do not need another key in order to do this. If it doesn't work the first time, try again, it should work.
really.. i'm going to try that. thanks for posting that up- i read it all over the forums that you need to have 2 keys inorder to reset it.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #23
rat3d m

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to rat3d m
do i really need to glue it back together also ...

F**K the fame i want the money
07 E63 M///6 Black sapphire
10 kawi zx-6R Mac's Matte white*sold*
89 240sx sr20det white *sold*
95 M3///white *sold*
96 M3///green *sold*
98 528i silver *sold*
03 toyota celica silver *SOLD*
04 M3 Silver *Gone*
05 kawi zx-6R *sold*
03 E46 M3 csl ***** *SOLD*
01 E39 M5 dinan mods*SOLD
95 E36 M3 white LM reps *SOLD*
rat3d m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #24
Geno68

My Ride: 320D
Jason 77 - You are a champ mate. I am going to try this in the next day or so and let you know what I stuff up.

BTW - I live in Belgium and BMW wanted 200 EURO (about $280 US) to replace the battery. WTF gives there? F$#%$%^& rapists.
Geno68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #25
zikhkd

I tried replacing my battery last night, I soldered it on and went outside and tried unlocking my car, it worked! funny how the key didn't reset or anything, all I had to do was replace the battery and thats it. but when I added the glue, I put a couple of weights on top of the remote so that it was shut tight, I guess the buttons were being pressed also, and this morning.. guess what, it doesn't work. im trying to figure out what happened
Old 10-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #26
zikhkd

EDIT: just went to radio shack, tested out the battery and it came out dead..............

last night it was working, but I guess all those weights on the remote (and it was near the car, from the inside of the house) drained the battery.

do not put weights or hold the case tight while pressing any of the buttons overnight
Old 10-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #27
jason 77

My Ride: 2001 330xi 5speed
Quote:
I tried replacing my battery last night, I soldered it on and went outside and tried unlocking my car, it worked! funny how the key didn't reset or anything, all I had to do was replace the battery and thats it. but when I added the glue, I put a couple of weights on top of the remote so that it was shut tight, I guess the buttons were being pressed also, and this morning.. guess what, it doesn't work. im trying to figure out what happened
Hmm, I clamped and zip tied mine together so the buttons were not being depressed. You might have drained the battery by putting the weight on it. try driving around for a bit with that key in the ignition? hope it works!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #28
zikhkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason 77 View Post
Hmm, I clamped and zip tied mine together so the buttons were not being depressed. You might have drained the battery by putting the weight on it. try driving around for a bit with that key in the ignition? hope it works!
yeah I havent tried that yet, hopefully that works or else I'll get another battery, at first I freaked out because a part of the chip was scratched, so I'd have to get a new remote until I went to radio shack to test the battery
Old 10-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #29
JaceHypa

My Ride: 2001 330i Sport pkg
Send a message via MSN to JaceHypa
Sweet!!! I have a dead key! now where is that exacto..
JaceHypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #30
zikhkd

mines didn't charge at all, so I'm guessing these batteries aren't rechargable once they die
Old 10-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #31
aslanefe

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
This is GREAT!!! I am SO GLAD I told the dealer no way on $200+ for a new key!!

About to order the battery, but there's 2.... which one do I need?

http://www.mouser.com/search/refine....onic+VL2020+3v

(The difference is 2 Pin Vert or 2 Pin Horiz)

Thanks!
For future reference can Jason or TCK answer this question? Which one of the batteries you used, the vertical pin (2 Pin Vert) or the horizantal pin (2 Pin Horiz)?
Thanks
Old 10-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #32
zikhkd

i used the horizontal pin and it worked just fine
Old 10-16-2007, 08:02 PM   #33
2kwiq

My Ride: 325Ci
how long did you guys work the key with your xacto before it gave way? is there a good spot to wedge it and pry or did you just slice until all the plastic was gone?
2kwiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #34
zikhkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwiq View Post
how long did you guys work the key with your xacto before it gave way? is there a good spot to wedge it and pry or did you just slice until all the plastic was gone?
slice it until its all gone, at first it seemed impossible but once you get the hang of it, its not so hard. start with the hole where the keyring goes, and work your way down, be careful because the knife usually slips right off
Old 10-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #35
2kwiq

Quote:
slice it until its all gone, at first it seemed impossible but once you get the hang of it, its not so hard. start with the hole where the keyring goes, and work your way down, be careful because the knife usually slips right off
thanks for the encouragement.

i finally got through it.

for those that are thinking about trying this. you should go into it knowing that this key was NEVER meant to be opened. the damn thing looks like it was molded as one piece. as a word of advice, slice and strip the plastic straight along the groove. don't angle it or anything trying to search for a wedge...there is NONE. just work your way through the plastic and kind of dig along the groove until it comes apart. i'd say after you cut through 90% of the plastic, you MAY start prying.

for those old enough to have enjoyed shawshank redemption, think about andy dufresne. all it takes is time and pressure...that and a big goddamn poster.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #36
zikhkd

i still haven't glued mines together, its taped up with clear tape, last time i valet my car i lost my ticket, and told the guy its the key thats sealed with tape hahah

just make sure when you glue it, don't put anything heavy on top so that the buttons don't get pushed, otherwise the battery will die
Old 10-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #37
SamXp

My Ride: 2011 WRX
Send a message via ICQ to SamXp
Dude, I was about to pay $200 for a spare from the stealer since my key only works if I hold it right up against the roof and press the button once. After I press it once, it won't work again until I plug it in and it charges up a tiny bit again.

Just ordered two batteries, just to have a spare!
SamXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #38
jason 77

My Ride: 2001 330xi 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwiq View Post
for those old enough to have enjoyed shawshank redemption, think about andy dufresne. all it takes is time and pressure...that and a big goddamn poster.
LOL that is one of my favorite movies............. but um it isn't that old is it?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:23 PM   #39
SamXp

My Ride: 2011 WRX
Send a message via ICQ to SamXp
Quote:
LOL that is one of my favorite movies............. but um it isn't that old is it?
Everything is old to someone!
SamXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #40
2kwiq

Quote:
movie came out in '94...some kids that are driving now were born in '91...
to them, PS2 and XBOX1 are probably ancient.

the other day, my friend's little brother said they were studying the 80s in high school history class... HISTORY? that's OURSTORY...