E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #21
k3nmasters

My Ride: Is A Unicorn!
Send a message via AIM to k3nmasters
... this is gonna suck... wow i see you even took the hood off...

::05' S54 iR 6MT::

Ichishima-San, "Ferraris and Lamborghinis are like women that are great in bed, but not so great at cleaning the house or cooking."
k3nmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #22
abefroman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Does anyone have the part # for it?
abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #23
k3nmasters

Part# here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...20&hg=64&fg=40

Ichishima-San, "Ferraris and Lamborghinis are like women that are great in bed, but not so great at cleaning the house or cooking."
Old 02-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #24
BMW2k323i

Cleaning blower fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
I'll post the DIY within this week.. I'm just waiting for a replacement steering pump from pelican parts to arrive to start working on the car.

Kinda stupid that BMW uses the same fan for the last 21 years (as back as the E30) and I've seen cases of it failing all the time.

There are some holes in the fan shell, I was thinking of blocking them to prevent dust entering but on the other hand, they may be for air cooling..
Hello,

I will probably end up ordering the part but in the mean time, do you think using compressed air to spray the blower when it is still in the car would help reduce the chirping? This might be just a temporary fix but one that is easy to do just to get rid of the sound. Up here in Montreal, it's freezing so the heater is always on.

Thanks.

MC
BMW2k323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #25
k3nmasters

^^^ well you figure air is already flowing thru the blower so what's hitting it with more air goinr to really do?

The best temp fix would be a spray lubricant like silicon spray or something. But as stated, that will become a dust magnet after time.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #26
BMW2k323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nmasters View Post
^^^ well you figure air is already flowing thru the blower so what's hitting it with more air goinr to really do?

The best temp fix would be a spray lubricant like silicon spray or something. But as stated, that will become a dust magnet after time.
Yeah. I was just thinking of giving a nice shot of compressed air...hoping it would break any chunk of crud that's in there. Oh well. It really is an annoying sound though. I feel like I'm not catching up with the repairs...I fix one thing then something else goes. I gotta admit though...with all the money I saved by following the DIYs on this forum, I'm not complaining one bit....I just hate the fact that sometimes, it seems these cars were built to decay quickly.

MC
BMW2k323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #27
tgodel

My Ride: BMW 323i and Jeep YJ
I just finished this job and I have a few more notes.

- Paraklas, thank you so much. Your DIY rocks!

- I already tried the lubrication effort and it only lasted for a season. You can view THOSE efforts here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...0&postcount=15

- The clips that hold the bottom of the blower case can be pushed all the way to the bottom to move them out of the way. This coupled with the wipers in the 12:30 position and the removal of both engine covers will give you a lot of room.

- I recommend breaking the brittle old blades to get the original blower out. This requires very little torque and saves hours of tedium. (It took me 2 minutes to extract the old blower once the screws were off.)

- Pelican Parts lists the replacement as $390 but it is not in stock... the equivalent replacement from ACM is $180 but I can't speak to its quality because...

- I only had five days to get this done before relatives came to visit so I bought from the dealer. The genuine Bosch is $490!!! But, it DOES have removable fan blades via squeeze clip. This simple feature made dropping the new blower in a 10 minute effort. You can remove the black blade assembly and then snap it back on once the rest of the motor + green blades are in.

- Don't try this without being able to magnetize your Torx wrenches. It is pretty likely that you will drop a screw into the shallow ductwork but it has nowhere to go, so a magnet on a string will save a lot of time.

I hope this lasts! Very expensive fix so we'll see.

--Trip
tgodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:00 AM   #28
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
- I only had five days to get this done before relatives came to visit so I bought from the dealer. The genuine Bosch is $490!!! But, it DOES have removable fan blades via squeeze clip. This simple feature made dropping the new blower in a 10 minute effort. You can remove the black blade assembly and then snap it back on once the rest of the motor + green blades are in.
Over here the genuine fans are from Behr and the blades are pressed on the motor axle. I have fabricated a small puller to remove the blades but the slight change in position will un-balance the system (with massive vibrations)

I wish we had removable blades here.
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:39 AM   #29
rwengorovius

My Ride: 2000 328i Sedan
Geniune Bosch? I can't find the Bosch part, and my contact at Bosch can't cross-reference with the BMW part number. Would you happen to know the Bosch part number - or know of a website that I could check?
rwengorovius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 AM   #30
rwengorovius

My Ride: 2000 328i Sedan
Paraklas,
I tried to disconnect the LH flap and ended up with a 2-inch black linkage in my hand. Never got the LH flap and the top section of the motor housing off. The linkage went from the bottom of the forward flap towards the flap behind it. I can't figure out how to reinstall it. Any advice? Did you have the LH flap and that section of the motor housing disassembled?
rwengorovius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #31
paraklas

Hi sorry for the late reply, been very busy..

The only think that I dissasembled was the 1 end of the linkage to the flap, just to make the flap a bit loose. Can you post a pic of what you have and where did it come from?

Quote:
Another question - you mentioned the motor is from Bosch. The oem part is listed as Behr. I have a contact at Bosch who could get me a new motor, but can't confirm they make that part. Do you know for sure it is from Bosch and would you have a Bosch part number? RW
Quote:
Over here the genuine fans are from Behr and the blades are pressed on the motor axle.

Last edited by paraklas; 11-08-2007 at 07:33 AM.
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #32
328insane

My Ride: 2000 328i
Nice DIY write up! Good job with the pics too.
328insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:45 AM   #33
tdotbimmer

My Ride: 2002 325i, 1992 850i
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Just an update.. when you struggle to put the new fan in place, watch not to bend the plastic fins. They are balanced (1 weight per side) and the slight bending will result in massive vibrations when you have full blast (learned the hard way )
I broke a piece of the new fan during intallation due to impatience and anger. This is the worse place to put a blower!!! Should I bother taking it out and replacing or just keep it in there? I am yet to fire it up because I order an FSR too. Mine is bad.
tdotbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #34
grafiksguy

My Ride: 2010 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdotbimmer View Post
I broke a piece of the new fan during intallation due to impatience and anger. This is the worse place to put a blower!!!
Amen to that! I just lubed the armature on mine (which thankfully seems to be still working) and the thought of pulling that dog out of that tight spot, DID NOT make me giddy with anticipation. Good luck with your repair.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #35
nickdeck

My Ride: '02 325i
I dug into mine yesterday, hoping to lube it rather than replace it. My fan doesn't make a cricket/chirping noise, more of an intermittent "moaning" at low fan speeds when the weather's cold.

I surrendered and reassembled everything before managing to get the fan cover off (the one with the two spring clips and two screws). I got everything disconnected except for that last screw that's the farthest away. I don't have a decent magnetized screwdriver or socket extension, and I just couldn't imagine being able to get that last screw back in place if I did take it out.

Anybody have a source for really good magnetized tools? I've looked around but haven't been successful.

Thanks.
nickdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #36
tdotbimmer

Please spend your money on OEM. I just wasted $200 on ACM blower that was supposed to work for my car but I realized after hours frustration that the blades were futher out about 1/2 inch o more. It does not fit my housing. In frustration trying to make it fit, I broke a couple of fins. I have a good motor but no fins...haha. My OEM fan reads BOTCH and I have a 2001 330I Sports package. I can read some numbers of the BOTCH but it does not match the one on realoem.com. Anyone know which one this is? THanks.

PS make sure when you buy After market replacement parts, you compare with the OEM one you are taking out before wasting time and effort installing and realizing it doesnt work. What a day wasted. I am so pisssssssssssssed offf!

Last edited by tdotbimmer; 11-10-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #37
nickdeck

My Ride: '02 325i
Sorry to hear about your trouble, but THANKS for reporting back on it. I had figured that I'd try the ACM blower if it comes down to having to replace it.

This is one of those DIYs that almost makes you want to take it to the dealer. But not quite.
nickdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:16 AM   #38
paraklas

I did go to the dealer but I was surprised to find out that they had never replaced a blower on E46 and had no idea how to do it.

Might try to re-balance mine next week when the intake manifold will be out for the s/c install
Old 11-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #39
tdotbimmer

Good thing they havent cos if they did find out how agitating it was, they will start charging an arm and a leg for the install. Are they supposed to last the lifetime of the car then? Because that will be the only reason they are so hard to get in and out? Maybe that is why the stealers dont replace many. When I get the OEM, I will take all the necessary components to gain access out then go to them to put it in. That way if they break it, they replace it. Will save myself the headache!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #40
paraklas

remove *some* parts like here? That's my car

Tags
blower, fan