E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #2201
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Einstein View Post
Mmmm, first post in the Cop Talk Thread!

frobie, I have a friend that was pulled over and ticketed for 115+ in a 70 on 101N around King City.

He should fall right into this punishment category correct?
You got it...

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #2202
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Einstein View Post
Mmmm, first post in the Cop Talk Thread!

frobie, I have a friend that was pulled over and ticketed for 115+ in a 70 on 101N around King City.

He should fall right into this punishment category correct?
Yeah he will. But keep in mind that the fine mentioned before was the minimum fine. The 30 day suspension is the maximum. In the courts taht I deal with (Firebuagh/Coalinga/Avenal) the fine is usually well in excess of $1k.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #2203
M3zzy

My Ride: M3
3 months ago i got a exhibition of speed ticket with 40 on 40mph zone, heres what happened it happened when i was at a dead stop on a stop light when i gave my car more gas and slipped the clutch a little but i didnt mean to because its my first manual trans. car im still getting use to driving it.. i plead not guilty with my first court appearance, can i defend myself?
M3zzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:50 AM   #2204
russm73

My Ride: 2000 323i
I have a question about out of state plates. Can CA cops look up the out of state plates or do they only have CA system? Also do CA laws apply to out of state vehicles such as tint, engine mods, stuff like that....
Staggered ASA AR1's| Brembo sport drilled rotors| Hawk Hps pads| Stromung exhaust, resonator delete| ECIS Intake| Depo P46's| MyCARR angel eyes| Smoked corner lights| Clear side/ rear lights| 5 % tint all around| CF door pillars| CF trunk lip| M3 bumper| Strass lip| H&R Cupkit|
russm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #2205
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russm73 View Post
I have a question about out of state plates. Can CA cops look up the out of state plates or do they only have CA system? Also do CA laws apply to out of state vehicles such as tint, engine mods, stuff like that....
Yes, we can look up out of state plates and get all of the same information we would get on CA plates. I will often cite for mechanical violations even though they vary from state to state. Assuming the person I've stopped has established residency in CA, I'll also cite them to make sure they register their vehicle in the state.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #2206
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3zzy View Post
3 months ago i got a exhibition of speed ticket with 40 on 40mph zone, heres what happened it happened when i was at a dead stop on a stop light when i gave my car more gas and slipped the clutch a little but i didnt mean to because its my first manual trans. car im still getting use to driving it.. i plead not guilty with my first court appearance, can i defend myself?
You can always defend yourself. But you need to be a little more descriptive when you explain what happened. The way you described it is this; I took off from a stop sign a little bit faster than normal. And then I got a ticket for exhibition of speed. There's a lot more to the story than that. Are you actually asking what the best way is to defend yourself?

Thank you Sam
Old 11-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #2207
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Yes, we can look up out of state plates and get all of the same information we would get on CA plates. I will often cite for mechanical violations even though they vary from state to state. Assuming the person I've stopped has established residency in CA, I'll also cite them to make sure they register their vehicle in the state.
And get a California License too!

Thank you Sam
Old 11-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #2208
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
And get a California License too!
yup...easy misd stat right there.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #2209
frobie15

Quote:
yup...easy misd stat right there.
Yup Yup. Too bad we don't get stats for a misdemeanor unless we write a report on it. Thankfully we dont' have to write one for 12500 I'm okay without the stat...

Thank you Sam
Old 11-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #2210
OHCM3

Quote:
Yup Yup. Too bad we don't get stats for a misdemeanor unless we write a report on it. Thankfully we dont' have to write one for 12500 I'm okay without the stat...

Yeah, you could probably burn a whole shift with 12500 reports. We have a check-off modified report form for 12500 or 14601, usually burns about 25 minutes...

Old 11-13-2007, 12:04 AM   #2211
russm73

Quote:
Now does this apply for people in the military? And even though they have out of state plates, should they have a CA license too?
Staggered ASA AR1's| Brembo sport drilled rotors| Hawk Hps pads| Stromung exhaust, resonator delete| ECIS Intake| Depo P46's| MyCARR angel eyes| Smoked corner lights| Clear side/ rear lights| 5 % tint all around| CF door pillars| CF trunk lip| M3 bumper| Strass lip| H&R Cupkit|
Old 11-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #2212
M3zzy

My Ride: M3
Quote:
You can always defend yourself. But you need to be a little more descriptive when you explain what happened. The way you described it is this; I took off from a stop sign a little bit faster than normal. And then I got a ticket for exhibition of speed. There's a lot more to the story than that. Are you actually asking what the best way is to defend yourself?
Thats exactly what happened... Yup whats the best way to defend myself :/
M3zzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:01 AM   #2213
OHCM3

Quote:
Now does this apply for people in the military? And even though they have out of state plates, should they have a CA license too?
Anyone that establishes residency in CA is required to have a driver's license and CA plates within 10 days. I can imagine that there would be some room given to military personal from another state but stationed in CA. Technically, there is no exception for them (that I know of at least) in the vehicle code...

Old 11-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #2214
destroyer427

My Ride: 2000 M5
This is more of a legal question but theoretically, if one were to make a pre-trial deal with a prosecutor about reducing a speeding fine because he had prior engagements and made the deal, then go to court on the scheduled day without that specific prosecutor and the witnessing officer is not there to testify, would one be entitled to request the charges be dismissed after stating that you know nothing of a former deal and object to the prosecution attempting to bring the witnessing officer in by stating that they should have been more prepared?
destroyer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #2215
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer427 View Post
This is more of a legal question but theoretically, if one were to make a pre-trial deal with a prosecutor about reducing a speeding fine because he had prior engagements and made the deal, then go to court on the scheduled day without that specific prosecutor and the witnessing officer is not there to testify, would one be entitled to request the charges be dismissed after stating that you know nothing of a former deal and object to the prosecution attempting to bring the witnessing officer in by stating that they should have been more prepared?

In CA, if the officer doesn't show up to the hearing, case is dismissed.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #2216
russm73

Quote:
Well lets say they are just visiting CA, Can you still cite someone for ex. like a no front license plate, or tint( something that each states laws are diff) even though they are an out of state vehicle???
Old 11-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #2217
OHCM3

Quote:
Anyone that establishes residency in CA is required to have a driver's license and CA plates within 10 days. I can imagine that there would be some room given to military personal from another state but stationed in CA. Technically, there is no exception for them (that I know of at least) in the vehicle code...
Discovered that active duty military are allowed to not have a CA license as long as they have a valid license in their state

Old 11-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #2218
OHCM3

Quote:
Well lets say they are just visiting CA, Can you still cite someone for ex. like a no front license plate, or tint( something that each states laws are diff) even though they are an out of state vehicle???
If I believe that they are just visiting and they haven't established residency, they wouldn't be cited if the violation I was going to cite them for is not illegal in their state of residence...

Old 11-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #2219
325-Nick

My Ride: 325 ci
sorry for the late repost... but from what u said before
Quote:
Two hours from San Jose (if you were going south) would put you right around my area. What county were you in? What officer? What court?

You're looking at a minimum $750 fine plus as much as a thirty day suspension on your license. Plus, you'll have to make at least one appearance in front of the judge to enter your plea.
it was in Franciscan way, king city in superior court. by officer S. Backind ( cant really read the ticket) also would it be any way possible that i would still be able to drive but only to go to school, as i am a full time student.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:33 AM   #2220
russm73

Quote:
If I believe that they are just visiting and they haven't established residency, they wouldn't be cited if the violation I was going to cite them for is not illegal in their state of residence...
So the bottom line is that, any officer can cite any vehicle no matter what state they are in and if its illegal in their state? Do you guys automatically assume its illegal in their state or do u dispatch the operator to look up the law? How does that process work? I know not one officer knows every law in every state. (Also this is a totally off side question, but do you happen to know anyone in corrections in CA? I heard there is a big need in CA. Is corrections a safe job? Pay any good? Thanks for all the info you provided for me, greatly appreciated

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa