E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:44 PM   #2241
bimmerboi43

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
what happens if i say no? does no mean no? or is there a way he'll still be able to...=D
bimmerboi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #2242
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi43 View Post
what happens if i say no? does no mean no? or is there a way he'll still be able to...=D
First off, almost everyone says yes. People who have guns, dope, whatever in their car say yes 99% of the time. Why, I couldn't tell you.

If you say "no", and I really want to get in there, chances are I'll find a way. If not, write it off, and just try to catch you dirty the next time. Eventually, we catch up to the bad guys...

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #2243
zikhkd

My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
You're supposed to pull over as soon as it's safe. At night that means that you can pull into a parking lot -- or under a street light. If a cop is sane, then he'd rather have you off of a freeway (if it's reasonable), or a main/busy street. Although if you ever saw the episode of Rob and Big where they got pulled over in Newport Beach the cop got all pissed off at Rob because he didn't pull over right away.

I suggest this; During the day pull over to the shoulder of the freeway, or to the side of the road. If the cop feels it is an unsafe area, then they'll tell you to move. At night, do the same. But if you don't feel safe, try to let the cop know that you acknowledge you are being stopped. Slow down, move to the right lane, turn on your flashers or right turn signal, or something along those lines.
thanks for clearing that up. a friend of mines was in the same situation and he told the cop it was for public safety.. didn't matter, he still got a ticket
Old 11-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #2244
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Yeah, you could probably burn a whole shift with 12500 reports. We have a check-off modified report form for 12500 or 14601, usually burns about 25 minutes...
This reminds me of a ticket that a coworker got. He was first cited for a 14601.1(a) Driving on a suspended license (which he claims he didn't know about ) then a couple of weeks later he received notice from the LASD that it was amended to a 12500(a), Driving without a valid license. Isn't that sort of reducing the charge for him?

By the way:

12500. (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle upon a highway, unless the person then holds a valid driver's license issued under this code, except those persons who are expressly exempted under this code.

&

14601. (a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at any time when that person's driving privilege is suspended or revoked for reckless driving in violation of Section 23103 or 23104, any reason listed in subdivision (a) or (c) of Section 12806 authorizing the department to refuse to issue a license, negligent or incompetent operation of a motor vehicle as prescribed in subdivision (e) of Section 12809, or negligent operation as prescribed in Section 12810.5, if the person so driving has knowledge of the suspension or revocation. Knowledge shall be conclusively presumed if mailed notice has been given by the department to the person pursuant to Section 13106. The presumption
established by this subdivision is a presumption affecting the burden of proof.

Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #2245
Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
i also heard i may be able to go to the doctors and get him to sign me off for bad hearing

which is true.. but only from the loud music. lol
I don't think a Dr's note will help at all. The judge could argue that if you have bad hearing you shouldn't be playing your music too loud in case an emergency vehicle was approaching, you need to be able to hear it & yield

Your ticket should be around $158 ($35 +$96 +$7 +$20).
Old 11-18-2007, 12:45 AM   #2246
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
Interested in your perspective...

Whenever I've been pulled over at night I have always turned on my hazards, turned off my radio, headlights, rolled windows down, turn on my dome light and place my hands on the top of the steering wheel.

My question is, generally speaking do police officers appreciate this type of behavior or am I just setting off warning triggers like "This guys a bit to familiar with this scenario"?

Gracias
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #2247
mkodama

How many times have you been in a situation where you had to take out your gun or baton(do CHP have batons?)?

I'm just curious how often situations turn out ugly.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:52 AM   #2248
Mo_Zhp

My Ride: Sedan E30 m20b25
Send a message via AIM to Mo_Zhp
hey

I just have some simple questions for you guys and i would really appretiate your help on them. I am currently 17 years old ( turning 18 in a few months) and i have had my share of stupid/childish driving in the past, and do to that my license has been suspended for the past 5 1/2 months and im getting it back in 2 weeks. and Yup, havn't driven for almost 6 months and have lost my job and basically, life. The reason my license is suspended is because i have 1 wreckless and 2 speeding tickets on my recond within 2 years ( I know i was an idiot)... Im getting my license back on Dec.4 which is in about 2 more weeks..and my questions are..

1. What would happen if i get another ticket (ex. speeding, stop sign, U-turn) within the first couple months i get my license back?

2. what would happen if i get a ticket (ex. speeding, stop sign, U-turn) once i am 18? will i get suspended again?

3. What should i avoid? What should i be careful with when i get my license back? any advise would be great

Thank you for taking the time to make this thread..this is really helpful!

-Mo

"Any BMW I'll ever own has already been built."
Mo_Zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #2249
Arrows

My Ride: 2000 323i.
Send a message via AIM to Arrows Send a message via MSN to Arrows
^ Why don't you just obey the rules and not speed etc?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #2250
Clean_3

My Ride: E46
How much does driving on the wrong side of the road less than a 100 ft. usually set you back?

Try snooping through her things and finding out where she stashed your ballz...

Last edited by Clean_3; 11-18-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Clean_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #2251
Mo_Zhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrows View Post
^ Why don't you just obey the rules and not speed etc?
Don't get me wrong, for sure im gonna obey the rules. I grew up a lot since then and this suspention really tought me a good lesson. Im just wondering, what would happen if i was to get another ticket.?.. thats all!

Old 11-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #2252
Arrows

My Ride: 2000 323i.
Send a message via AIM to Arrows Send a message via MSN to Arrows
Gotcha.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #2253
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
WELL.. DIDNT THINK ID BE BACK SOO SOON.

got pulled over for tinted tail lights and tinted windows.

she said the tinted tail lights is a fix it ticket.. but she said that tinted windows is a fine? anyone know how much that runs?

does that mean i dont necessarily have to take it off?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:50 AM   #2254
Clean_3

My Ride: E46
Quote:

she said the tinted tail lights is a fix it ticket.. but she said that tinted windows is a fine? anyone know how much that runs?

^ damn back to back huh? lol I got one too

Try snooping through her things and finding out where she stashed your ballz...
Clean_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #2255
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
Whenever I've been pulled over at night I have always turned on my hazards, turned off my radio, headlights, rolled windows down, turn on my dome light and place my hands on the top of the steering wheel.

My question is, generally speaking do police officers appreciate this type of behavior or am I just setting off warning triggers like "This guys a bit to familiar with this scenario"?

Gracias

A lot of what you're doing is helpful in the end, but while you're doing it all I'm seeing is a guy moving around a lot in his car and reaching for things. I'd rather you just pull over (not hazards after the stop as they are distracting for the officer), roll down your window and shut the car off.

Being accomodating to the officer is a nice thing, but don't go too far.

BTW, if you want to see people who are too familiar w/ the scenario, watch me pull over some gangsters and watch their hands all hit the roof of the car immediately...pretty funny.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #2256
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
How many times have you been in a situation where you had to take out your gun or baton(do CHP have batons?)?

I'm just curious how often situations turn out ugly.
My gun is out every shift whether it be as I'm approaching a priority call, on a traffic stop that might not feel so right, or while pointing it at a suspect for some reason. We have to justify why its out of the holster, but that's not hard (particularly because you usually aren't poiting it at anyone). My baton has left its holster once so far while on duty, and that was in a riot type situation... Its not the greatest tool considering I have pepper spray and a taser on my belt as well.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #2257
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
This reminds me of a ticket that a coworker got. He was first cited for a 14601.1(a) Driving on a suspended license (which he claims he didn't know about ) then a couple of weeks later he received notice from the LASD that it was amended to a 12500(a), Driving without a valid license. Isn't that sort of reducing the charge for him?

Not a reduction really, both are misdemeanors. Cop maybe screwed up as an expired license or none issued is a 12500(a)VC rather than a 14601.1(a)VC violation...

Old 11-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #2258
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTECHNIK Zhp View Post
hey

1. What would happen if i get another ticket (ex. speeding, stop sign, U-turn) within the first couple months i get my license back?

2. what would happen if i get a ticket (ex. speeding, stop sign, U-turn) once i am 18? will i get suspended again?

3. What should i avoid? What should i be careful with when i get my license back? any advise would be great

Thank you for taking the time to make this thread..this is really helpful!

-Mo
Got your PM, and I'm frankly not sure what ramifications there would be per the above. I would inquire with the courts that you are dealing with as they can give you a difinitive answer. Sorry and good luck.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #2259
Mo_Zhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Got your PM, and I'm frankly not sure what ramifications there would be per the above. I would inquire with the courts that you are dealing with as they can give you a difinitive answer. Sorry and good luck.
oh ok thats cool, thanks.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:59 AM   #2260
Speeder

Quote:

Man... when it rains it pours... How dark are your tail lights?
Here we go again with the Fix it no fix it

Go to the top of page 49 of the Los Angeles County Misdemeanor/Infraction Bail Schedule:

http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/bail/pdf/misd.pdf

Tinted windows usually is either a 26708(a) of the Vehicle Code or a 26708.5(a) V.C. both of which have an E.P.C. notation next to the Base Fine. (E.P.C. = Eligible for Proof of Correction = FIX-IT Ticket).

E.P.C. is explained on page 25 of the same schedule.

Once you go the Clerk's window and assuming the officer did not check the "correctable box", they might make you see the judge if you go the "fix it" route. At which time, the judge will change it on the court record as per the bail schedule.

If you decide to keep the tint and pay the fine, then a $25 base fine (as shown on the schedule) and because of that "P" in the far right column, it actually turns into approximately $122. ("P" = Penalty is detailed on page 4 of the schedule).

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa