E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2003, 04:26 PM   #1
fonzer
E46 FANATIK

My Ride: '05 g35 6MT
JL stealths question

for people that have them, when u take out the rear speakers, are the door speakers enough for your mids and highs? *5 1/4*

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:12 AM   #2
Dre325

My Ride: 2001 325i
I'd be interested in knowing what everyone's opinion about this is too... Does anyone miss having the rear deck speakers?

And while we're at it, for people that have the JL Stealths, how do you like them?
Dre325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:28 AM   #3
spr0cket

My Ride: 325ci
Stealths actually perform quite well, They have the extension of most enclosed rivers, just a bit less power capability, though plenty loud enough for some very generous listening levels. Transient repsone if pretty good too for a free air driver - they really pulse on a kick drum or play low and long when required.

As for mid bass, the front door drivers are the same size as the rear deck. If you find mid bass lacking - just raise the crossover point for the JL's - it'll drag the mid bass rearwards but no more than that which you've suggested by allowing for the rears to fill it in.
spr0cket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:02 PM   #4
snakama

My Ride: 335i
Send a message via AIM to snakama
When sitting in either front seat, the HK system with stealths can sound awesome, but any passengers sitting in the rear will definitely notice the lack of mid-bass. I've spent hours trying different fader/balance/ eq/ gain / crossovers configs and I haven't been able to tweak the system to sound great in every seat.

Seik
snakama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:33 PM   #5
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
An idea..

Since the stealths replace the midbass speaker location in the rear deck, couldn't you guys w/ the HK system replace the 6x9 subs w/ a 6x9 2 or 3 way system? That should more than make up for rear fill...

I'm considering this w/ my NON-HK system since I heard even though I don't have the speaker pods for teh 6x9's, the templates for the holes in the rear deck are there. I can get my installer to fabricate some pods to hold either 6x9's or some 5 1/4s...

Quote:
Originally posted by snakama
When sitting in either front seat, the HK system with stealths can sound awesome, but any passengers sitting in the rear will definitely notice the lack of mid-bass. I've spent hours trying different fader/balance/ eq/ gain / crossovers configs and I haven't been able to tweak the system to sound great in every seat.

Seik

Last edited by drgalleg; 04-15-2003 at 01:36 PM.
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote